International Student - License

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naylin6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether an international student (with a Pharm D from a US pharmacy school and have all the requirements) is eligible to practice pharmacy in the United States? Thank you.

General Requirements

Any use of the title "pharmacist" within New York State requires licensure.

To be licensed as a pharmacist in New York State you must:

* be of good moral character;
* be at least 21 years of age;
* meet education, examination, and experience requirements; and
* be a United States citizen or alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States (Alien Registration Card /USCIS I-551 Status - "Green Card").

This is what I find for NY. So is a pharmacy a dead end for international student?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know whether an international student (with a Pharm D from a US pharmacy school and have all the requirements) is eligible to practice pharmacy in the United States? Thank you.

This is what I find for NY. So is a pharmacy a dead end for international student?

My understanding is that you can be licensed as a pharmacist but you will need to obtain immigration status that allows you to work. If you are on a student visa right now, you won't be able to pursue full-time work until you change your visa. One of my friends successfully switched from an F1 visa to an H1B visa which allows him to work here. Kroger's legal department helped him make the switch.

If you want to practice in NY you need to get info from the NY state board of pharmacy.

Yes....you must be able to legally work in this country - same as any other individual working (engineer, housekeeper, teacher, pharmacist...same as any other job).

HOWEVER....you must qualify as a pharmacist in the state you want to work.

I don't know about NY since I'm a CA pharmacist. However, in my state, a foreign graduate must pass a qualifying language examination, must have their education documented by the state board, pass the same tests any pharmacist who practices here must pass....then you're set.

So...contact the NY state board of pharmacy to find out the process. In CA it takes about 12 months to complete.

Good luck!

ooops! I misread your post - so sorry!

You are already a US graduate - so just pass your boards, keep your work visa active & you're good to go.

Sorry about the misread!

Members don't see this ad :)
ooops! I misread your post - so sorry!

You are already a US graduate - so just pass your boards, keep your work visa active & you're good to go.

Sorry about the misread!

Thank you for replying. Don't worry. I should have made it clear. I am still a high school senior. I am just planning ahead. I contacted NY Board of Pharmacy but they replied that you must be a citizen or US permanent resident. And, I am a little worried. but, seems like that would not be a problem. Thank you again.

the requirement list is from here - http://www.op.nysed.gov/pharmlic.htm

My understanding is that you can be licensed as a pharmacist but you will need to obtain immigration status that allows you to work. If you are on a student visa right now, you won't be able to pursue full-time work until you change your visa. One of my friends successfully switched from an F1 visa to an H1B visa which allows him to work here. Kroger's legal department helped him make the switch.

Thanks for your reply. a lot of relief for me. :)

Since its a international student thread... i would like to make an equiry about PharmD program for international students with BPharm degree. If I am a BPharm degree holder, do I have to go through the pre-pharmacy 2 years course or I can directly enrol into the first year of the 4 years professional PharmD program or even a shorter time period than 4 years?
Second question, is there any financial aid for international student who enrol to PharmD program?
Thank you in advance..
:)