international student loan in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aarondds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently my status is an international student, but my wife is a US citizen. I wanna know if anybody knows that my wife can make a loan for me if I get accepted into dental school. She does not have good credit, is this a problem? and what if I become a temporary resident, can I make a loan by myself?

Thank you for so many questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently my status is an international student, but my wife is a US citizen. I wanna know if anybody knows that my wife can make a loan for me if I get accepted into dental school. She does not have good credit, is this a problem? and what if I become a temporary resident, can I make a loan by myself?

Thank you for so many questions.

If your wife has bad credit I doubt she could co-sign for you. Don't know know another citizen with good credit that would do this for you?

Second, if you were a temporary resident then I believe you could receive federal loans. So you should get your documents in order as federal loans would be far better than private loans.

From: http://www.smwc.edu/college_services/financial_aid/glossary.php

CITIZEN/ELIGIBLE NONCITIZEN: You must be one of the following to receive federal student aid:
· U.S. Citizen
· U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
· U.S. permanent resident with an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations:
· Refugee
· Asylum Granted
· Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
· Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
· Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
· Other eligible non citizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-688)