international student loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadica31

Future Oncologyst
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a medical student about to start(hopefully) my second year and the current borrower i had, access group, all of a sudden decided they do not want to fund international students anymore. Any advice on other student loans for international medical students? I am literally freaking out, I can't believe that i might not be able to continue my dream:(:scared:
I would appreciate info on lenders for intl students, preferebly the ones that DO NOT require cosigner etc....I am already approved from access since I am in their system for my second year, but who knows..they might ask for a green card at any time and of coursre i do not have one:(
thanks,
N

Members don't see this ad.

.I’m from a countryside area in South Carolina and I want to go to my higher education. I heard somewhere that you could get a government grant to pay for school if you agreed to work in a countryside area. I don't have enough money and I have no idea how to get a government grant. ..I don't want any that you have to pay to receive info on how to apply. Any helpful information will be great appreciated..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am a medical student about to start(hopefully) my second year and the current borrower i had, access group, all of a sudden decided they do not want to fund international students anymore. Any advice on other student loans for international medical students? I am literally freaking out, I can't believe that i might not be able to continue my dream:(:scared:
I would appreciate info on lenders for intl students, preferebly the ones that DO NOT require cosigner etc....I am already approved from access since I am in their system for my second year, but who knows..they might ask for a green card at any time and of coursre i do not have one:(
thanks,
N

Were you approved for the next year? I thought they said that there will be no loans for the academic year 08/09? I'm in the same boat.

This sucks!

So last year, I was approved for a loan after applying with access group. To my horror, they have stopped funding international students, you either have to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident. I am freaking out because I need to pay my tuition soon and I have zero options. Other loans require a cosigner which makes it very difficult for me to get a loan.

Has any one been successful with obtaining a loan from an organization that does not required an American/ permanent resident? Are there loans that require cosigners who aren't American citizens? I am seriously worried about my situation.

They are asking for a green card/ this sucks!

Hi,
thanks,
N

:( Nadica, if access group discontinued their offer, how did you get into their system for 08/09 school year? :confused: When did you apply for that year? I thought you have to apply each year--and I started my education thinking that access loan will be steady for the four years period--but now I am stuck without a cosigner :eek:--and am really nervous and anxious to obtain a loan without a cosigner. :scared:

If anyone found some lender similar to Comprehensive access loan--would you please reply and let us all know?

Thanks in advance.

well looks like i applied before the deadline, may 1st...but who knows..
Were you approved for the next year? I thought they said that there will be no loans for the academic year 08/09? I'm in the same boat.

This sucks!

I don't think there are any companies that allow international students to apply without a cosigner.... I am going to try and see whether I can get someone to cosign my loan.

I'm in a similar situation. I need to get a cosigner for any loan because I'll be studying outside my home country. I'm going to try to find a friend who has a good job to cosign, but this will be difficult. People are very reluctant to cosign because it'll affect their ability to get loans.

Zuck

Nadica,
Do you know if the comprehensive loan for 2008-2009 that was already approved will be available when school starts or do we have to reapply? Thank you.

Anybody hear anything?

Hi guys-

Im actually writing regarding my husbands situation He just started grad school this month. Im a US citizen, he is not. Up until we got married he just had an EAD (employment auth doc), but we have applied for his greencard now for which he has a receipt. We were aware that he wouldn't be able to get federal financial aid, so he applied for private student loans with my father (also a citizen) as the cosigner. He was approved by a company and now he finds out that they can't disburse his loan bc he doesn't have a greencard. Is this right? I thought as long as he has legal stay here and more importantly a cosigner who is a citizen, all would be ok. Im hoping you guys have some insight on our situation and maybe some other routes we could take...

Hi guys-

Im actually writing regarding my husbands situation He just started grad school this month. Im a US citizen, he is not. Up until we got married he just had an EAD (employment auth doc), but we have applied for his greencard now for which he has a receipt. We were aware that he wouldn't be able to get federal financial aid, so he applied for private student loans with my father (also a citizen) as the cosigner. He was approved by a company and now he finds out that they can't disburse his loan bc he doesn't have a greencard. Is this right? I thought as long as he has legal stay here and more importantly a cosigner who is a citizen, all would be ok. Im hoping you guys have some insight on our situation and maybe some other routes we could take...

Hi mimi11,
I'm kinda in the same boat....my parents had applied for my green card and I have my receipt and also my EAD. Check this statement from the IFAP.gov:

"We have revised the guidance regarding parolees as eligible noncitizens in chapter 2. The new text now states that parolees are eligible noncitizens if paroled into the U.S. for at least a year and if they can provide evidence from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS, formerly the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS) that they are in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intent to become citizens or permanent residents. A valid application for lawful permanent resident status on file with the BCIS would meet this criterion"

ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/0304FSAHBUpdatesChanges.html

Now to the point, I feel that this clearly states that people in this category (filed for the green card) should be eligible for financial aid or loans. I'm also pretty sure that if a cosigner is present (be it a green card holder or citizen) the beneficiary (the non citizen /green card holder) will be able to get a loan.

Good luck and let us how what happens

Nev