International Student Loans For Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123joe123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am an international student from Hong Kong in 4years Pre-Medicine program. I am searching for how to take the student loans for 4-years medical school after I get accepted from medical school in USA.

Can anyone tell me which bank in USA does lent the student loans for international student?

Thank you very much!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Banks don't lend six digits of unsecured funding to a non-citizen, not even if you get your dad to cosign. Why? Because those banks have little recourse if you default.

You'll want to talk to your parents/relatives about supporting you, because you'll need them to sign for the money, wherever you get it. Start your funding search in HK.

A US med school that accepts you will require that the whole 4 years of money be provided up front ("escrow").

Also keep in mind that your credentials for med school must be extraordinary for you to be accepted as an international student at a US MD school.

Best of luck to you.

So even for citibank, they won't lend six digits funding to a non-citizen?? As I heard that some of the medical school in USA will provide some international student loan plan for the international student once they get accepted, is it true??

Members don't see this ad :)
The first question here is whether you will be in the top 1% of non-Canadian international students who apply to US MD schools. Unless you are of that caliber, then it doesn't matter if you can get a loan.

Maybe check back after a couple of years, after you get a 4.0 and create a free clinic and publish in Nature.

One thing you could do now is find somebody from SE Asia who is currently attending a US MD school and get their advice.