International student looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amberchen1276

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all

I'm an international student (no citizenship/ greencard) Here are my stats: GPAs4.0, GPAc 3.97, nursing major in an US university, mcat508, 800+research experience , 500+ volunteer work, tons of shadowing, also worked as an organ donation nurse coordinator. I've heard that the DO schools are more friendly to international students than MD schools. Should I jut apply to the DO schools? What about MD/PHD route. I'm also considering apply to a master's program in biomedical science, just to enhance the science background and retake the mcat. Would that be helpful? Or should I just do more EC's to make the app look better?

Members don't see this ad.

Should retake mcat, md phd isn't the best fit for many international students since NIH funded MSTP programs usually don't accept foreigner. I would say the top MD only programs are more open to international students. Retake your mcat and apply for both md and do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you have the pre-reqs done. I dont think nursing classes will count for phys, chem, orgo etc. If you are shooting for DO schools, I would highly recommend not retaking the MCAT. A 508 will make you competitive for all of them. Just do your research before applying, and do not apply to state schools like MSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have the pre-reqs done. I dont think nursing classes will count for phys, chem, orgo etc. If you are shooting for DO schools, I would highly recommend not retaking the MCAT. A 508 will make you competitive for all of them. Just do your research before applying, and do not apply to state schools like MSU.
Thanks for the advice. I have taken the pre-reqs after I completed the nursing classes. The reason I want to retake it is because of the low CARS score(124). I've heard that it is the most important section of the whole test and most schools weigh CARS more than other three sections. I don't know much about the DO schools but do they have a cut off line for CARS too?

Should retake mcat, md phd isn't the best fit for many international students since NIH funded MSTP programs usually don't accept foreigner. I would say the top MD only programs are more open to international students. Retake your mcat and apply for both md and do.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for the input, becomingdoctor. But if I want to go for DO, do I have to shadow a DO? And what about the master's program? Do you think it would help with the application?

You're a registered nurse? I've heard from many that international nurses (Canada to USA) can get green cards fairly quickly through employers etc. You should look into that option, otherwise you're going to be faced with an uphill climb- US med schools usually have a high priority for IS applicants.

Thanks for the input, becomingdoctor. But if I want to go for DO, do I have to shadow a DO? And what about the master's program? Do you think it would help with the application?
I did a master in bioinformatics/genomics (two years) and I feel like it's not very helpful to my application. Although it looks nice on my application, by the end of the day, only your scores and clinical exposure matters the most to the program. Your GPA is fine, your MCAT is low for MD schools but DO school should be fine. Start shadowing DO now and get a letter of rec (shadow at least 20hrs), you may still be early for this year's application cycle. I started shadowing DO last year around the same time and now I am just waiting to start med school. Your CARS score is fine, I have 5 on old verbal and still got interview invites from almost everywhere (DO) I applied, plus accepted to the DO PhD at MSU (not going).
I would say DO letter is a must because half of the school requires it and the other half recommend it. It's easy to find DO to shadow. Use the iLearn mentor from AOA to find mentors, best to be in primary care, don't have to be someone practice OMM. But during your shadowing, make sure you ask about OMM because it will be very beneficial during your interview.