International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msohn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in California about 4 years and have been in CC for 2 years, I will be trasferring to UC Davis as Chemistry major with TAG (I'm an international student).

I have 3.2 GPA so far, and I am afraid if I can make it into Pharmacy school.

I have C in Cell & Molecular Biology
B and C in General Chemistry

I have not taken Physcis or Calculus yet.

I am taking Organic Chemistry right now.

And, it's pretty damn hard.

I really don't know if I should major in Chemistry or not -- it doesn't really matter when you're applying to Pharm school, right?

Any suggstions?

What can International Student do if he doesn't get into Pharmacy school after BS in Chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you from?
If he cant get in Pharmacy school after BS, there are 3 possible things he can do:
-Continue his master
-Getting married
-Go home.

I am from Korea.

I do like the "master" option, but I really do not want to go home.

So, it will be hard to find a job just for BS in Chemistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are planning on going to Davis, get a bike, and make sure it's a cheap one (because it WILL get stolen).

Haha, I heard...

Oh... you have accepted Pharmacy school... Wow.

Anybody really will give me an advice about this situation?

What can International Student do if he doesn't get into Pharmacy school after BS in Chemistry?

I'm also international, you know when I say that, I feel like I'm part of some victim's group, it's like saying I have diabetes (no offence to diabetics).

ANYWAY, you still have the PCAT, so if you can rock that **** and apply to many schools, it might help make up for the low GPA.

As for alternatives, there's always nursing...since at this point, no degree is required, it wouldn't make much of a difference if you were a chem or bio major. As long as you have a science degree, it's one more advantage you have over everyone else (especually people with higher GPAs and no degrees).

I am international student just like you. I have been in pre-pharmacy for 3 years, and recently be admitted to the school of pharmacy. My plan is try to finish pre-prequisites as soon as possible, take the Pcat, and then keep applying until you get in. Certainly, you want to continue your education as back up plan until you get in.

Ok, it is not a question whether I get i or not, it's " I will get in". Have confidence on yourself. Because of my confidence on myself, I got in this year, second time apply.

I am international student just like you. I have been in pre-pharmacy for 3 years, and recently be admitted to the school of pharmacy. My plan is try to finish pre-prequisites as soon as possible, take the Pcat, and then keep applying until you get in. Certainly, you want to continue your education as back up plan until you get in.

Ok, it is not a question whether I get i or not, it's " I will get in". Have confidence on yourself. Because of my confidence on myself, I got in this year, second time apply.

I would like to backup what 5minutes is saying here.... When I first came to this country as a F-1 Visa student, I asked my chemistry advisor what my chances would be to get into pharmacy school... and he looked at me as if I was joking and he told me straight up... if you don't get a green card, your chances are close to zero!!!!...

I was kinda discouraged at that time, and gave up pursuing pharmacy... until I came to SDN, and met other international students like me who got accepted into pharmacy school.....

I realized its not "zero" chances.... It's actually how much you want it.... How passionate you are about getting into pharmacy school..... You need to have a drive.... a reason to really give it all you've got and fight as hard as possible....

Once I learned that international students do stand a chance, I volunteered at my school's pharmacy as a helper... then from there, I took the PTCB exam, passed, got licensed as a pharmacy technician, then emailed the district manager of walgreens directly, where I landed a job as a Walgreens pharmacy technician....

I also turned in my applications very early on in the application cycle... so that helps a lot.... I prepared really hard for my interviews... and finally got in!

So, it's definitely not impossible... it only seems like it is... because there are not many international students who are willing to hold on... and pursue a seemingly impossible goal....

But at the end of the day..... it all pays off ....

good luck buddy !!

wee

I would like to backup what 5minutes is saying here.... When I first came to this country as a F-1 Visa student, I asked my chemistry advisor what my chances would be to get into pharmacy school... and he looked at me as if I was joking and he told me straight up... if you don't get a green card, your chances are close to zero!!!!...

I was kinda discouraged at that time, and gave up pursuing pharmacy... until I came to SDN, and met other international students like me who got accepted into pharmacy school.....

I realized its not "zero" chances.... It's actually how much you want it.... How passionate you are about getting into pharmacy school..... You need to have a drive.... a reason to really give it all you've got and fight as hard as possible....

Once I learned that international students do stand a chance, I volunteered at my school's pharmacy as a helper... then from there, I took the PTCB exam, passed, got licensed as a pharmacy technician, then emailed the district manager of walgreens directly, where I landed a job as a Walgreens pharmacy technician....

I also turned in my applications very early on in the application cycle... so that helps a lot.... I prepared really hard for my interviews... and finally got in!

So, it's definitely not impossible... it only seems like it is... because there are not many international students who are willing to hold on... and pursue a seemingly impossible goal....

good luck buddy !!

wee
You explained a lot better than me. Thanks you.

I'm international also, and getting in wasn't the hard part for me. The hard part is paying for it.

You don't have "zero" chances. That counselor who said that should be fired.

How did you get a license to become a pharmacist technician?
I thought international students cannot do that.

Could you give me about the info about phamacy technician?

Actually, I asked one of my friends who is pharmacist technician see if she knows about volunteer program for it.

good luck buddy !!

wee

CaN International student volunteer for Pharmacy? How?

good luck buddy !!

wee
Hey, I wanted to ask whether you used your CPT for the job in Walgreens? It would be beneficial if you could share your experience about this..thanks!

Hi everyone, im interested with taking the exam for pharmacy
technician, which is PTCB. But im a bit confuse,
what is the difference with just taking the exam PTCB then get certified. with
taking the whole course of Pharmacy Technician for 10mos?