Pharmacy Schools that ACTUALLY accept international students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npn99

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I come here after spending so much time researching about pharmacy/pharmacy job pool/pharmacy threads. Currently I am junior major in biochem and toxicology and planning to take PCAT in the summer and apply for pharmacy school in fall. My current gpa is 3.4 and planning to raise it up to 3.5 by the time I apply. However, I have a C+ for organic chem I and organic chem II. But I have A for other high level of biochem class. I failed one of my major classes (toxicology) with a D but planning to retake it and gain an A for sure. I bombed my final exam so hard for that class.
Because of that and also it is hard for international students to get accepted to pharmacy school, should I take a gap year to work and comeback to apply for fall 2021 instead of fall 2020?
By any chance anyone has a list of private pharmacy schools that accept many international students? (please don't tell me to go to school directory of pharmcas because I already checked it out, I want to know if anyone had applied and got an answer). Thank you so muchhhhhhhh

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I come here after spending so much time researching about pharmacy/pharmacy job pool/pharmacy threads.

Job Market

Currently I am junior major in biochem and toxicology and planning to take PCAT in the summer and apply for pharmacy school in fall. My current gpa is 3.4 and planning to raise it up to 3.5 by the time I apply. However, I have a C+ for organic chem I and organic chem II. But I have A for other high level of biochem class. I failed one of my major classes (toxicology) with a D but planning to retake it and gain an A for sure. I bombed my final exam so hard for that class.
Because of that and also it is hard for international students to get accepted to pharmacy school, should I take a gap year to work and comeback to apply for fall 2021 instead of fall 2020?

Why take a gap year? If you must persist down this career path then take the PCAT, score a 90+ using KAPLAN and Dr. Collins, then apply. The worst any school will say is "no" but if you apply broadly you're bound to pick up an interview or two. We have many students on here with below 3.0 GPAs and still manage to get accepted to a regionally accredited program. Even those programs that do not require the PCAT.

By any chance anyone has a list of private pharmacy schools that accept many international students? (please don't tell me to go to school directory of pharmcas because I already checked it out, I want to know if anyone had applied and got an answer). Thank you so muchhhhhhhh

Many programs (including mine) take in international students. I cannot say what schools favor international students more so than others, but once again, you need to tread carefully when applying for private programs. Sounds like you may or may not need to apply for personal loans should federal "pay-out" not play in your favor (ie I-94 or T-visa status for eligibilities are some examples).

Reactions: 1 user
Job Market

Why take a gap year? If you must persist down this career path then take the PCAT, score a 90+ using KAPLAN and Dr. Collins, then apply. The worst any school will say is "no" but if you apply broadly you're bound to pick up an interview or two. We have many students on here with below 3.0 GPAs and still manage to get accepted to a regionally accredited program. Even those programs that do not require the PCAT.

Many programs (including mine) take in international students. I cannot say what schools favor international students more so than others, but once again, you need to tread carefully when applying for private programs. Sounds like you may or may not need to apply for personal loans should federal "pay-out" not play in your favor (ie I-94 or T-visa status for eligibilities are some examples).

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I feel like my stat is not good enough on the international student’s standard. I did look up some of the schools’ admission stat and it is always around 1% got accepted. If I want to aim for around top 20 is that too out of reach even if my PCAT score is 90+

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I feel like my stat is not good enough on the international student’s standard. I did look up some of the schools’ admission stat and it is always around 1% got accepted. If I want to aim for around top 20 is that too out of reach even if my PCAT score is 90+

1% of how many international students? 10? 15? So 1 of 10 will get accepted to one program....In the depth of things not that many international students compared to those applying instate and neighboring states.

As for applying to a top 20: What do you call a person that graduated top of their class and a person that graduated at the bottom of their class? A pharmacist.

If it is for a niche job as a clinical pharmacist, these days the name of a school is not going to carry you to that point. You will need to differentiate yourself by doing poster board research presentations, actively volunteer, get a great GPA, and take on leadership roles in school. We have current hiring pharmacist on these boards that will tell you that they speak with past pharmacists who graduated from top programs and did not get the job they had applied for. Not saying don't give it a shot, but understand you need to apply broadly and focus on earning "a" pharmD to the best of your own abilities. If you have a 3.5 GPA consisting of a bachelors and you scored above 90 on the PCAT then yes, I'd say you have a good chance at applying to a handful of top schools (at a tuitions price).

I'm sure you can find someone to take your money if you really want.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure you can find someone to take your money if you really want.

I know everyone is talking about how saturated the job market right now. But I seriously don't know what to do but hope for the best. Maybe by the time I graduate pharmacy school (if landed a position somewhere), i can find a job? Planning to work really hard to set myself apart from other students because I want to work in the industry not in retail.

I know everyone is talking about how saturated the job market right now. But I seriously don't know what to do but hope for the best. Maybe by the time I graduate pharmacy school (if landed a position somewhere), i can find a job? Planning to work really hard to set myself apart from other students because I want to work in the industry not in retail.

Your plan is to hope for the best?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What is that drives you towards pharmacy? Have you worked in a pharmacy? I am saying this for your own benefit. Do not pursue pharmacy due to saturation.
Setting yourself apart in the workforce will not help in this field due to credential inflation. The only degree I see you could be safe is if you did a Ph.D. In pharmacology along with your Pharm.D. Basically, your safe bet is to stick with academia and not the actual job market.

What is that drives you towards pharmacy? Have you worked in a pharmacy? I am saying this for your own benefit. Do not pursue pharmacy due to saturation.
Setting yourself apart in the workforce will not help in this field due to credential inflation. The only degree I see you could be safe is if you did a Ph.D. In pharmacology along with your Pharm.D. Basically, your safe bet is to stick with academia and not the actual job market.

I actually wanted to go to med school but as international student, it was a rough path and along the way I kinda figured out it was not for me. Im majoring in biochem right now and I enjoy studying it so I was advised to look into pharmacy since the stuff im gonna study will be kinda similar. I havent had the chance to shadow any pharmacist yet but I will start volunteering at a hospital soon. Also I have some research experiences by taking some research classes at my school but I feel like research/phD is not really for me. Will it be better if I do a combined/dual degree? Or should i just apply for ms in pharmaceutical sciences?

I actually wanted to go to med school but as international student, it was a rough path and along the way I kinda figured out it was not for me. Im majoring in biochem right now and I enjoy studying it so I was advised to look into pharmacy since the stuff im gonna study will be kinda similar. I havent had the chance to shadow any pharmacist yet but I will start volunteering at a hospital soon. Also I have some research experiences by taking some research classes at my school but I feel like research/phD is not really for me. Will it be better if I do a combined/dual degree? Or should i just apply for ms in pharmaceutical sciences?
Pharm.D would be a waste of money. It sounds like you want to be in academia as opposed to direct patient care. MS in pharmaceutical sciences would be the better option in terms of less debt. Not sure about that job market though. But do not do it combined with a Pharm.D.

This is what everyone thinks they’re going to do.

Biochem and chemistry have nothing to do with pharmacy. If you enjoy those subjects, then get a masters or PhD in pharmaceutical sciences. The only way for you to know that you “enjoy pharmacy” is if you’ve worked in an actual pharmacy as a tech or cashier. Otherwise, you are just deluding yourself as to what pharmacy actually is.

Hi everyone!

I come here after spending so much time researching about pharmacy/pharmacy job pool/pharmacy threads. Currently I am junior major in biochem and toxicology and planning to take PCAT in the summer and apply for pharmacy school in fall. My current gpa is 3.4 and planning to raise it up to 3.5 by the time I apply. However, I have a C+ for organic chem I and organic chem II. But I have A for other high level of biochem class. I failed one of my major classes (toxicology) with a D but planning to retake it and gain an A for sure. I bombed my final exam so hard for that class.
If you had really done your research you’d know not to go into pharmacy because there are no jobs.

If you had done your research you’d also know that pharmacy schools are accepting anyone and everyone who is willing to pay $200k+ in tuition. Not sure where you’re getting the “I’m an international student it’s harder to get accepted” thinking from, but schools must be salivating at taking tuition money from desperate people like yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to do now because if I havent found anything I am interested in besides pharmacy.

Things will NOT get better by the time you graduate. They have gotten worse every year since 2007. There are unemployed pharmacists right now from the class of 2019. By the time you graduate in 2024 or whatever, there will be over 60,000 more pharmDs on the market with 0% job growth.

I would apply for a MS in pharmaceutical science which is more geared toward industry. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail or unemployed.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharm.D would be a waste of money. It sounds like you want to be in academia as opposed to direct patient care. MS in pharmaceutical sciences would be the better option in terms of less debt. Not sure about that job market though. But do not do it combined with a Pharm.D.
I would apply for a MS in pharmaceutical science which is more geared toward industry. The vast majority of PharmDs end up in retail or unemployed.
I will look into it. Thank you for your advices.

When you say your goal is to work in "industry" what do you mean? That's kind of like saying "I want to work in a restaurant" - as a cook? waiter? hostess? valet? janitor? accountant? manager? builder? architect? engineer? The list goes on. If you think of your dream job today - what would you actually be doing day in and day out? Maybe a business degree would serve you better than a pharmaceutics degree, or going for project management certificate, or a regulatory affairs degree - the list is endless.

Reactions: 1 users

You should try to shadow a retail pharmacist (or just walk into your local CVS/walgreens and just observe). If you even do have a chance of finding a job after you graduate with over $200K loans, its going to be in retail. I don't know what kind of lifestyle you pictured in your head but realistically if you do get into pharmacy school, I can predict four possible paths:
1. Graduate with >$200K loans and 0 job offers
2. Graduate with >$200K loans and job offer for an indie that pay you <$70K/year
3. Graduate with >$200K loans, do a year of residency and be unemployed afterwards
4. Graduate with >$200K loans , do a year of residency and get hired by that indie that pays you <$70K/year

Reactions: 3 users
Schools are desperate for students, getting accepted won't be a problem. The problem will be actually graduating. Your grades are pretty low, as an international student, is English your first language? Was your undergraduate classes at a school that taught in English or that taught in your first language? If the language was different, then you could potentially learn English better and succeed at pharmacy school (potentially, not definitely.) If the language wasn't the issue, then my advice is anyone having that much trouble with the pre-reqs would do best to look for a different career path.

Also if you're an international student then you'd most likely need sponsorship when you start working which most employers won't do because it's too expensive and everyone is in cost-cutting mode right now so good luck with that. There's just too much baggage for international pharmacists to find a spot in today's job market. Maybe if you had relatives working in an indie who is willing to take you on, that is realistically the only way I can see an international student getting a job these days.

Hi,

Schools are desperate for students, getting accepted won't be a problem. The problem will be actually graduating. Your grades are pretty low, as an international student, is English your first language? Was your undergraduate classes at a school that taught in English or that taught in your first language? If the language was different, then you could potentially learn English better and succeed at pharmacy school (potentially, not definitely.) If the language wasn't the issue, then my advice is anyone having that much trouble with the pre-reqs would do best to look for a different career path.

English is not my first language and I am studying in the US for undergraduate. I hope if I can get 90+ percentile in my PCAT it would make my application look better.

When you say your goal is to work in "industry" what do you mean? That's kind of like saying "I want to work in a restaurant" - as a cook? waiter? hostess? valet? janitor? accountant? manager? builder? architect? engineer? The list goes on. If you think of your dream job today - what would you actually be doing day in and day out? Maybe a business degree would serve you better than a pharmaceutics degree, or going for project management certificate, or a regulatory affairs degree - the list is endless.

My ultimate goal is to be an industrial pharmacist. I am planning to take a regulatory affair certificate before applying to pharmacy school and i'll use the extra year to gain more real life experiences about being a pharmacist

You should try to shadow a retail pharmacist (or just walk into your local CVS/walgreens and just observe). If you even do have a chance of finding a job after you graduate with over $200K loans, its going to be in retail. I don't know what kind of lifestyle you pictured in your head but realistically if you do get into pharmacy school, I can predict four possible paths:
1. Graduate with >$200K loans and 0 job offers
2. Graduate with >$200K loans and job offer for an indie that pay you <$70K/year
3. Graduate with >$200K loans, do a year of residency and be unemployed afterwards
4. Graduate with >$200K loans , do a year of residency and get hired by that indie that pays you <$70K/year

Thank you for your reply. I am planning to shadow a retail pharmacist as soon as this pandemic is over. I'll see how it goes

My ultimate goal is to be an industrial pharmacist. I am planning to take a regulatory affair certificate before applying to pharmacy school and i'll use the extra year to gain more real life experiences about being a pharmacist
Wouldn’t you have to leave the US 6 months after graduating Pharm school if you cannot find a job that would sponsor your Visa?