International Students (Canadian)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keshavarzi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I could start a thread for all those international students just so they can help each other out with advice etc here in the US.

I myself am one that just arrived from Canada and was wondering what if any restrictions are there for employment. Can you get a work permit while being declard an international student? Otherwise how would one finance their education aside from the loans (loans are a b**** to pay back).

Please send your feedback

Members don't see this ad.

No, you can't work as a student.

The only exception is to work on campus. However, these jobs are hard to come by and don't pay very well. Plus if you're in a Clinical Psych PhD program you definitely won't have time to work extra hours somewhere else.

The only options for Canadian students in the US are loans or personal savings. Oh and I guess SSHRC and stuff like that as well, but don't bank on it.

I'm assuming you used loans to fill out the financial forms. You might be stuck with that.

I'm a Canadian currently attending a US PhD program.

I can't work, other than on campus. But your department isn't going to let you do that, most likely, and there really isn't enough time anyway, as Raynee said. There are a few options. You can work paid positions within the department (e.g. undergrad adviser) and you might find some paid practicum sites (e.g. a Career Counseling Center).

Oh, I guess that assumes you're at a University-based program. If you're at a free-standing institution, I don't know; my understanding is that you're kinda shafted, money-wise.

Thinking about it, I think there is some deal about getting permission to work x number of hours for something outside the university, so long as its directly applicable to your program (think a comp sci student doing consulting for a network security firm). But your department and college need to sign off on it, I think. I'm not toally sure how that works though.