International Students in US Pharmacy School & Green Card

Started by Ray1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ray1234

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am an international student in one of the pharmacy schools in USA and wondering about other international students who are either in pharmacy school or graduated from one of the pharmacy schools in the United States. How do you plan to apply for Green Card or H1B visa? Do you know any chain or hospital pharmacy willing to sponsor you for H1B visa and further green card?

Getting Permanant residency in Canada is not very difficult for pharmacists but pay is not as good compared to the United States.

I would appreciate your input on how you guys are thinking about future to resolve the problem of work visa or green card.

Thank you very much in advance.

Ray
 
I hope at least someone will response to this post... it seems as though everytime this topic is brought uo, noone seems to response at all
 
Getting Permanant residency in Canada is not very difficult for pharmacists but pay is not as good compared to the United States.

Well if you will agree to work 5-6 years at 1/2 price of a normal wage may be u will find someone to sponsor u. it is still a good deal comparing with a $100 a month or whatever farma-people make in your native country.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if you will agree to work 5-6 years at 1/2 price of a normal wage may be u will find someone to sponsor u. it is still a good deal comparing with a $100 a month or whatever farma-people make in your native country.

LOL
I dont pay 100K for pharmD program in my country. lol.

Ray
 
Well if you will agree to work 5-6 years at 1/2 price of a normal wage may be u will find someone to sponsor u. it is still a good deal comparing with a $100 a month or whatever farma-people make in your native country.
Are you sure of what you are saying, or are you speculating?
 
Are you sure of what you are saying, or are you speculating?

Probably he's just putting put whatever came to his mind that time. I 'd say that's untrue as I 1 canadian pharmd who got started at the same salary as a US pharmd here in the US. And she's on H1B. Too bad, I lost contact with her last year already.
 
I know all major Pharmacy chains sponsor H1B visas and Green Cards. Therefore, there is a great need for the talents that international students possess.

Go to the US Department of Labor website and find out petition files for more statistics. Good luck to you all!
 
I know all major Pharmacy chains sponsor H1B visas and Green Cards. Therefore, there is a great need for the talents that international students possess.

Go to the US Department of Labor website and find out petition files for more statistics. Good luck to you all!
Thank you so much for someone who is respectable and caring--the quality of a pharmacist 😉 . Are you a H1B pharmcist by the way if you don't mind me asking?
 
I know all major Pharmacy chains sponsor H1B visas and Green Cards. Therefore, there is a great need for the talents that international students possess.

Go to the US Department of Labor website and find out petition files for more statistics. Good luck to you all!
Thank you so much for someone who is respectable and caring--the quality of a pharmacist 😉 . Are you a H1B pharmacist by the way if you don't mind me asking?
 
I don't work for Walgreens, so I'm not advocating them as an employer. I'm just going to give you this information since they have a pretty good webpage devoted to it.

First - google walgreens job opportunities. Then on the left, click on careers - ignore the jobs listed in the middle of the page. Then click on pharmacist opportunities. About half-way down the page you'll see a link for international students in the US. Click on that & you'll see a whole list of questions ranging from visas to immigration rules/contacts, etc...

That shoud get you started....good luck
 
I don't work for Walgreens, so I'm not advocating them as an employer. I'm just going to give you this information since they have a pretty good webpage devoted to it.

First - google walgreens job opportunities. Then on the left, click on careers - ignore the jobs listed in the middle of the page. Then click on pharmacist opportunities. About half-way down the page you'll see a link for international students in the US. Click on that & you'll see a whole list of questions ranging from visas to immigration rules/contacts, etc...

That shoud get you started....good luck

Here is the link that goes straight to the page she's referring to:
http://www.walgreens.com/about/careers/pharmacy/internationalpharm.jsp
 
Well if you will agree to work 5-6 years at 1/2 price of a normal wage may be u will find someone to sponsor u. it is still a good deal comparing with a $100 a month or whatever farma-people make in your native country.

For an employer to sponsor an HB1 Visa applicant, they must provide at minimum the average salary in the area for similar positions and level of experience. So no, taking advantage of foreign workers is not gonna fly with the INS.
 
Thank you so much for someone who is respectable and caring--the quality of a pharmacist 😉 . Are you a H1B pharmacist by the way if you don't mind me asking?

I'm on my H1B but i'm not a pharmacist. the quota is gonna hurt everyone these days. I hope thats' gonna change but you can always take advantage of the extra quota for grad students!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For an employer to sponsor an HB1 Visa applicant, they must provide at minimum the average salary in the area for similar positions and level of experience. So no, taking advantage of foreign workers is not gonna fly with the INS.


Glad to hear that, but why would any pharmacy hire a foreigner if for the same amount of dough they could hire a local one? I understand that in some areas there are might be a defecit, but generally, it would be a silly move. If there are no location advantage, people will use pharmacy where they dont have to crack their heads to understand what that farmerscyst is talking about.
 
FYI, the US law requires that the foreign employee must stay and work for the employer for a certain period of time (a number of years) and can't just move to a new employer whenever he/she wants. This gives the employer a + in not having to hire a new employee and spend all the time/resources to train the newcomer (just to have him/her leaving the very next year for a new position). That's from what I understand.
Also, it's true that some of the foreign pharmD's, but not all of them, are not very fluent in English. Some of them are actually very very fluent in not only English but also in multiple languages. Please don't stereotype...
People coming with PharmD from foreign countries are required to pass the TOEFL (the test of the English language) first before they can sit for the license test in the states. People graduating from pharmacy schools within the states have gone through the same training as US students have. Also, these have to go through the TOEFL test initially for the entrance to pharm school, not to mention all the interview, application process etc. just like a US student does.

Glad to hear that, but why would any pharmacy hire a foreigner if for the same amount of dough they could hire a local one? I understand that in some areas there are might be a defecit, but generally, it would be a silly move. If there are no location advantage, people will use pharmacy where they dont have to crack their heads to understand what that farmerscyst is talking about.
 
Glad to hear that, but why would any pharmacy hire a foreigner if for the same amount of dough they could hire a local one? I understand that in some areas there are might be a defecit, but generally, it would be a silly move. If there are no location advantage, people will use pharmacy where they dont have to crack their heads to understand what that farmerscyst is talking about.

Here is the website that will tell you why there is a need of foreign born professionals.
http://www.prb.org/Reports/2005/WhattheAmericanCommunitySurveyTellsUsAboutUSImmigration.aspx

I hope you have read or heard of transcultural care or maybe will learn about professional communication where you will learn how to speak with non-english-speaking people and how to value their cultural norms.

It not only about farmerscyst (as you said) only. I would like to recommend you to look at the statistics about foreign born doctors who speak with THICK ACCENT and nurses with THICK ACCENT. These are professional people who try to learn foreign langauage and culture continuously to provide the best care they could give to people irrespective of their personal biasness towards their ACCENT or CULTURE.

I dont think your comment will hurt any professional foreign born people.
Lol

Ray
 
Glad to hear that, but why would any pharmacy hire a foreigner if for the same amount of dough they could hire a local one? I understand that in some areas there are might be a defecit, but generally, it would be a silly move. If there are no location advantage, people will use pharmacy where they dont have to crack their heads to understand what that farmerscyst is talking about.


Well they can be many reasons why a recruiter will hire a foreign farmercyst...

One he can, the company gives him ample room to do so.
Foreigners in any country are known to be hard workers.
The recruiter make a good deal by hiring someone he'll sign for a longer period than a local.
some people understand better than others that in this "globilization" era, one must look beyond the origin of a worker to make a choice.
A recruiter always look for the best "deal" for his company and an american born is not always the best one as many might think.
 
Here is the website that will tell you why there is a need of foreign born professionals.
http://www.prb.org/Reports/2005/WhattheAmericanCommunitySurveyTellsUsAboutUSImmigration.aspx

so what? I am perfectly aware that there are 10 mln illegals here and 25 mln of ex-illegals and legal immigrants. Do you think they understand for example an indian or a scot better than locals? I doubt it. So, again, poor communication=poor sales. Ocassional misunderstanding, even without any foreigner's fault-- loss of a customer.

I would like to recommend you to look at the statistics about foreign born doctors who speak with THICK ACCENT and nurses with THICK ACCENT.

I'd LOVE to see the statistics about foreign doctors who have thick accents. Please show me where it is at.
 
...🙁 ...please don't turn this discussion into a fight. We are just trying to learn more informations from other people who have them available

so what? I am perfectly aware that there are 10 mln illegals here and 25 mln of ex-illegals and legal immigrants. Do you think they understand for example an indian or a scot better than locals? I doubt it. So, again, poor communication=poor sales. Ocassional misunderstanding, even without any foreigner's fault-- loss of a customer.



I'd LOVE to see the statistics about foreign doctors who have thick accents. Please show me where it is at.
 
😕 I am not starting any fight, where do you see that? And I am generally interested in healthcare statistics, may be he has a kick-ass link I always wanted to have.
 
so what? I am perfectly aware that there are 10 mln illegals here and 25 mln of ex-illegals and legal immigrants. Do you think they understand for example an indian or a scot better than locals? I doubt it. So, again, poor communication=poor sales. Ocassional misunderstanding, even without any foreigner's fault-- loss of a customer.



I'd LOVE to see the statistics about foreign doctors who have thick accents. Please show me where it is at.

LOL
If you wont grow up, i am darn sure that i will fetch your job or somebody descended from illegal immigrant's family or someone with THICK ACCENT will never let you get your dream job. LOL.
 
Let this thread be what it was intended to be: for international students to find some help, some comfort that somewhere, someone is going thru the same stuff.

To some people I have some facts. First of all, noboby lack of fluency have caused a patient to die. In addition, Walgreen and other retails or hospitals have not stop hiring foreign pharmacists..and you know why? because they are NOT driving customers away. Finally, We are here because there is a need for us; get over it:meanie:


I have one message to anybody trying to highjack this thread: stop whining about what you can't change but rather focus on being the best pharmacist ( or farmercyst) you can be.
 
Thank you for the words of someone who is truely a professional health practitioner 🙂...
Also, if anyone else is in the same boat please share your experiences. Thanks in advance

Let this thread be what it was intended to be: for international students to find some help, some comfort that somewhere, someone is going thru the same stuff.

To some people I have some facts. First of all, noboby lack of fluency have caused a patient to die. In addition, Walgreen and other retails or hospitals have not stop hiring foreign pharmacists..and you know why? because they are NOT driving customers away. Finally, We are here because there is a need for us; get over it:meanie:


I have one message to anybody trying to highjack this thread: stop whining about what you can't change but rather focus on being the best pharmacist ( or farmercyst) you can be.