International Students - Problems Matching into Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicaldoctor041815

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope this thread finds you safe and well. From the networking I’ve done with current international students at DO schools, it seems that international students are finding it extremely difficult to match into more competitive residency programs as a DO applicant. This is because of the fact that most programs don’t want to deal with the fickle and complicated process of sponsoring a work visa. I’m a current pre med international students that will be applying a couple years into the future, and just wanted to explore all my options. Does anyone have experience with this or know of the or the difficulties that internationals face in the match process? Is it true that you are most likely going to match into FM as an international? I would love to hear any insight/advice into this!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I hope this thread finds you safe and well. From the networking I’ve done with current international students at DO schools, it seems that international students are finding it extremely difficult to match into more competitive residency programs as a DO applicant. This is because of the fact that most programs don’t want to deal with the fickle and complicated process of sponsoring a work visa. I’m a current pre med international students that will be applying a couple years into the future, and just wanted to explore all my options. Does anyone have experience with this or know of the or the difficulties that internationals face in the match process? Is it true that you are most likely going to match into FM as an international? I would love to hear any insight/advice into this!
The only “international “ students in our class are Canadian citizens who have no problems getting the T1 visa or whatever - its a pretty straightforward streamlined process for them, and no they can match into anything else they are competitive for since they are DO grads and not considered “IMG”.!

The only “international “ students in our class are Canadian citizens who have no problems getting the T1 visa or whatever - its a pretty straightforward streamlined process for them, and no they can match into anything else they are competitive for since they are DO grads and not considered “IMG”.!
Hey, I think you’re referring to the F-1 visa which is the visa that allows internationals to study in the US. As far as my understand goes, when matching you can either get sponsored for the H-1 or J-1 visa. H-1 I believe costs the programs a lot of money to file for the individual so most programs tend to take a hard pass on the applicant. To add, I think some programs only consider permanent residents or US citizens, and outright have no interest in sponsoring visas. That’s why other specialities even like IM are tougher to match into and I believe every year it gets tougher for internationals. This is my understanding but I’m a mere pre med. Please correct me if this is an incorrect belief!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I think you’re referring to the F-1 visa which is the visa that allows internationals to study in the US. As far as my understand goes, when matching you can either get sponsored for the H-1 or J-1 visa. H-1 I believe costs the programs a lot of money to file for the individual so most programs tend to take a hard pass on the applicant. To add, I think some programs only consider permanent residents or US citizens, and outright have no interest in sponsoring visas. That’s why other specialities even like IM are tougher to match into and I believe every year it gets tougher for internationals. This is my understanding but I’m a mere pre med. Please correct me if this is an incorrect belief!
I am not sure about this many DO schools have Canadian citizens, Michigan state has had quite a few over the years, I was under the impression that they were eligible for the T1 visa to be able to work as a resident when they matched and did not have to apply for the J1 or H1, I am no immigration lawyer tho. It’s also very unlikely that DO schools would accept Canadian citizens if they knew that their chances were severely limited in the match, I know for a fact they are not, and since they graduated from a medical school here in the US, residency programs definitely view them differently then a “IMG”. Michigan state has taken many Canadians over the years and they have matched across all specialties in both DO(now former) and MD programs.

You cannot train in a residency under a TN visa. Physicians can only use TN status for teaching or research, and can only provide patient care incidental to those activities.

You cannot train in a residency under a TN visa. Physicians can only use TN status for teaching or research, and can only provide patient care incidental to those activities.
Ahh I see, that would make sense, but generally speaking a Canadian citizen who went to a DO or MD school in the US will generally match better and have an easier time matching than a FMG or even a US citizen from the carribean, yes they need a visa but many prorgams if not all take people who can get the J1 visa, keep in mind that the DO international student isn’t considered an “IMG” and I don’t think the sole fact that they need to get the J1 visa is going to keep a prorgam from interviewing/ranking a candidate, especially one who went to Med school in the US.

I agree. An international student on an F visa should be able to get an OPT visa for PGY-1, and then transition to J or H. Usually OPT is no big deal, although ours this year were all late/delayed.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. An international student on an F visa should be able to get an OPT visa for PGY-1, and then transition to J or H. Usually OPT is no big deal, although ours this year were all late/delayed.

Would any potential problems arise when making that transition?