International toxicology clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone happen to know of an international toxicology clerkship? Maybe one with more of a public health bend?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone happen to know of an international toxicology clerkship? Maybe one with more of a public health bend?
Hey, DeadCactus, check out this website. They list a few international rotations, and it looks like most of them are open to students as well as residents. You might also want to try looking at the research that American med tox faculty are doing, and see if anything piques your interest. I know that Steve Bird at UMass has done research on organophosphate poisoning in Sri Lanka. Offhand I can't think of anyone else doing international tox research or clinical work, but maybe BADMD and Daiphon know of some more.

Hey, DeadCactus, check out this website. They list a few international rotations, and it looks like most of them are open to students as well as residents. You might also want to try looking at the research that American med tox faculty are doing, and see if anything piques your interest. I know that Steve Bird at UMass has done research on organophosphate poisoning in Sri Lanka. Offhand I can't think of anyone else doing international tox research or clinical work, but maybe BADMD and Daiphon know of some more.

The ACMT site is a great place to start; clerkship-level international toxicology electives, though, can be logistically difficult to arrange (on top of the usual visiting med student stuff, add visas & the complications of international travel).

From the resident perspective, though, if your program has either an international emergency medicine fellowship program, or a strong international presence/interest, it can be easier as you can use those contacts to arrange what you're interested in.

In the case of my home institution, we have both an IEM and MedTox fellowship; one of my fellows is doing both programs in order to do international medical toxicology... she's a bit busy. d=)

All that being said, a lot of international EM deals with public health issues; so using a "standard" international elective to do some kind of a toxicology project is not all that difficult.

Start with the ACMT, as well as with ACEP's International Section to get an idea of what's out there...

Good luck!
-d

Thank you both for responding, I'd given up on this thread. :p

It's looking like I'll have 6 weeks to do an international rotation and I was hoping to find someone doing toxicology work abroad to work on a project with. Thanks for the leads.