Interning at a hospital you worked at previously

Started by _rae_
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

_rae_

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi specialty friends,

We started talking today about clinical rotations and tracking, including externing. I am considering applying to Angell, but I've heard mixed things about working as a doctor at hospitals you used to tech at. Angell is by no means the only thing on my list, but it's the devil I know vs. the devil I don't. Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of intern life, but I've worked with probably 60+ interns from there over the years. They don't require externships for their applicants but the medical director and intern director are the same as when I was there.

I know it's early, but this has been a struggle I've been considering since basically day one. Ultimately it's up to me and where I match, but I'm the kind of person who will information overload before they can make a choice.

Thanks friends. 2021 Rae who didn't get into school because of her own application error never thought she'd be here and you guys have gotten me through all of it <3

ETD: Oh forgot! If they don't require externships, and I've seen the hospital (at least within the last four years), is there a benefit to externing still?Or should I save those for other hospitals I might be interested in?
 
i'll just say the past few years have had quite a few people who were techs at angell and they honestly got on perfectly fine! if anything it helped that they had other doctors to rely on for help and other tech friends. i'll just say that thing have changed a lot in the past few years so it could be helpful to extern just to see if you still like the way things are looking.
 
I haven’t been in that position, but in general, I think this wouldn’t be as much of a big deal compared to someone in GP. I mean in general, when people give that advice it’s because it’s hard for people to give you the respect you’ve earned but also it’s hard on you not to step in and do the “tech tasks” you’ve done previously. But interns have such a well defined role and so many demands upon their time, I really think it’s probably fine. And if someone does have an issue treating you as your title deserves, with an internship, the good thing is you’ll be on a new service in just a few weeks. So if I was in your shoes, I wouldn’t make this be a reason not to apply.

However, I DO think there is value in learning from other people and expanding your network, especially if you’re hoping to specialize. Presumably these people at Angell would know you pretty well by now, so while I think staying is fine, I’d also encourage you to consider going somewhere else to meet new people in your chosen field and see other ways of doing things. I spent A LOT of time with the clin path people at my vet school and they knew me SUPER well. I would have loved to stay there for residency, but I decided it was in my best interest to go elsewhere for those three years to learn from others. I still have those people from vet school supporting me and in my network, but now I have a whole slew of other connections I wouldn’t otherwise have.

All that to say I think either is fine.

And no, I wouldn’t “waste” time extending at a place you already have insider knowledge at. Use that to explore other options and make other connections.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Presumably these people at Angell would know you pretty well by now, so while I think staying is fine, I’d also encourage you to consider going somewhere else to meet new people in your chosen field and see other ways of doing things.
I've heard this a lot too. I think if I end up leaning towards onco, I would want to go elsewhere for sure. If I'm leaning more towards IM I think it would depend.

I miss New England is part of it too. I have all the big east coast hospitals on my list as well as a smaller hospital in my home state. If I did go back to Angell for rotating and/or specialty internship, I would not do a residency there (honestly applies to anywhere I end up). I know that no matter what I don't want to stay at the same place for all 4-5+ years.

And no, I wouldn’t “waste” time extending at a place you already have insider knowledge at. Use that to explore other options and make other connections.
Fab, will plan on using that time and money for others then!
i'll just say that thing have changed a lot in the past few years so it could be helpful to extern just to see if you still like the way things are looking.
Yeah, one of the cardio residents (she might be done now?) used to be an onco tech. But good to know things are different. I know onco just got two sparkly new DACVIMs so I'm assuming things are quite a bit different these days across departments.
 
Obviously different hospitals have different cultures, but at large place like Angell, I don't think it would be much problem They have enough staff turnover that I doubt it will be an issue.

My current senior resident started here as a veterinary assistant in prevet. She's doing great and as far as I can tell everyone treats her like a doctor. Because she's earned it.