Interning ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatguy123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how you go about finding an internship after you get
your acceptance to pharmacy school. I understand that it will take awhile for all my paperwork to go through before I qualify for my intern license. I would like to start looking this summer after I get my license but have no idea where to even start. So any of you out there presently in pharmacy school please help as I am sure I am not the only one unsure of where to start looking.

Members don't see this ad.

With retail pharmacies, a phone call to the regional manager should be the fastest step to applying for an intern position.

But who says the regional manager or even the district manager will respond to a call just looking for jobs?
I say walking in to some pharmacies and asking if they're hiring is good, and then calling the district manager telling them that you'd like to work at a particular store. That's how I got my current job.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wanting to intern at a hospital. Can anyone tell me how they got their hospital internship?

But who says the regional manager or even the district manager will respond to a call just looking for jobs?
That's pretty much what we tell people when they call our store. Each chain/area/person can be different, though.

To the OP: have you tried making contact with any of the on-staff pharmacists at the hospital?

Depending on the state you live in, you may have to wait till after the first year is done to get an internship. Schools will usually have employers come for interview days to offer internships. You can always seek out your own at a hospital or independent/big chain pharmacy. You may want to check with the schools you are applying and your state board of pharmacy before you get too worked up about it and not be able to for a while.

With retail pharmacies, a phone call to the regional manager should be the fastest step to applying for an intern position.

+1. That's what I did, and I have a job waiting for me when I obtain my license. :)

I would like to know how you go about finding an internship after you get
your acceptance to pharmacy school. I understand that it will take awhile for all my paperwork to go through before I qualify for my intern license. I would like to start looking this summer after I get my license but have no idea where to even start. So any of you out there presently in pharmacy school please help as I am sure I am not the only one unsure of where to start looking.

What state do you currently live in? That's important when it comes to answering your question because some states have certain laws regarding interning.

How about getting a hospital internship? Do you just call up a DoP and ask to intern?

But that really depends on the state he's in and how the hospital manages that kind of stuff. I had a hospital tell me "ooo great, do you have an intern license....oh you're not even in pharmacy school yet, just accepted...well come back when you get that license".