Internist Lifestyle/Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naru

not suitable for children
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, could anybody give me an idea of what the general lifestyle/hours are like for a general non-hospitalist internist? how much time do they spend in one particular setting (clinic, office-based, etc.)?

Google/Forum search gave me a ton on hospitalists (even a youtube video) but not for general internists. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

JAMA. 2003;290(9):1173-1178. Average internist works 57 hours/week. Your lifestyle is what you make of it. When you're done with residency, you choose the practice setting that you enter into. If you want to work more and make more money, you can. If you want to work part time, you can do that (and make less).

Attachments

• work hours by specialty jama 2003 r.GIF
    work hours by specialty jama 2003 r.GIF
    18.4 KB · Views: 718
Is it possible (easy) to join an outpatient-only practice? I like internal medicine but I friggin' HATE HATE HATE being in the hospital.

I know some family residents that are joining such practices next year, but from what I can tell, the inpatient services goes with internal medicine, at least in academia.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definately possible to be an internist who only does outpatient practice. That's where hospitalists come in. You contract with a hospitalist group, and they see your patients when they are in the hospital. It's becoming extremely common in IM to do either outpatient or inpatient medicine, instead of both.

kaiser permanente colorado has been advertising outpatient only positions, think i saw the ad in annals.

I've been looking into going back to medicine from gas due to just what I see being a fit for me.

I find hospitalist positions to be appealing since you can work hard for a week and then have the next week off.

I'd like to hear from guys who are actually hospitalists give me an idea of the hospitalist life compared to your IM residencies while on.

Thanks.

I've been looking into going back to medicine from gas due to just what I see being a fit for me.

I find hospitalist positions to be appealing since you can work hard for a week and then have the next week off.

I'd like to hear from guys who are actually hospitalists give me an idea of the hospitalist life compared to your IM residencies while on.

Thanks.

NB...I'm not, nor will I ever be a hospitalist. But here's what I see/hear from friends who are doing the hospitalist gig.

The work is pretty similar to being a resident but you tend to have a higher patient load (15-30 depending on your group). You also have no backup/higher-up to go to, nor do you have somebody to dump the crap work on (you're the intern, resident and attending, all wrapped up in one).

As a gas guy, you may dig procedures. You won't have time to do them as a hospitalist. All of your lines, thoracenteses and paracenteses will be done by IR b/c there's no way to round on 30 patients in a day and also throw in a couple of lines and do a paracentesis...unless you're planning to stay all night.

Upsides are autonomy, the schedule, no outpatient work and, let's be honest, the Benjamins. And you can always bounce stuff off your colleagues if you have questions or problems w/ a case.