intern's medical procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desperate_img

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
one silly question I have as an IMG...what are the medical procedures that an IM intern should be able to do? Drawing blood?Putting central venous catheters?Doing biopsies?Intubation?Pleural/spinal taps?
TIA

Members don't see this ad.

one silly question I have as an IMG...what are the medical procedures that an IM intern should be able to do? Drawing blood?Putting central venous catheters?Doing biopsies?Intubation?Pleural/spinal taps?
TIA
On Day 1?
1. EMR login and password
2. Put correct parts of stethoscope in ears

On Day 365?
See above. Plus hopefully you've done a couple of the things you mentioned above, maybe even gotten good enough at one or 2 of them to teach your intern next week.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
hahaha really? why is that? I really needed some procedures like the above in my everyday routine..I mean who do all these? Nurses and PAs?

Members don't see this ad :)
TIA
Well I'm sure no one would stop you from drawing blood/starting an IV that's needed. Central lines you do in the ICU, initially under supervision. Same with arterial lines. Same with taps, but with lesser frequency (during admissions). Not sure where you'll do biopsies... what kind??

And intubation is highly institution dependent; comes down to whether or not anesthesia is doing it - in which case you're at their mercy. The airway isn't something you want to mess around with, best to have done at least 20 tubes in the OR (ideally 40-50+) on an elective (and ideally already done in med school) before you're tubing crashing patients. It takes a tonn of practice to get good at DL and a good amount of practice to be proficient with VL. Best to at least get a very high volume of reps in at the Sim lab.

Reactions: 1 users
If you’re going to Mayo Rochester, your hands-on stuff like that is limited.

There are special teams of technicians for most all of those. It improves individual patient care experience, but doesn’t do much for individual physician skill training; except the decision making process of when, and when not, to order this and that medical intervention.

Besides, you mostly wear a suit all day long, so who wants to get that dirty, when there is a team for scut work. It allows you to go on to the next patient instead of getting bogged down by blood draws and such.

Don’t kill the messenger, that’s just the flavour of the place.

If you’re going to Mayo Rochester, your hands-on stuff like that is limited.

There are special teams of technicians for most all of those. It improves individual patient care experience, but doesn’t do much for individual physician skill training; except the decision making process of when, and when not, to order this and that medical intervention.

Besides, you mostly wear a suit all day long, so who wants to get that dirty, when there is a team for scut work. It allows you to go on to the next patient instead of getting bogged down by blood draws and such.

Don’t kill the messenger, that’s just the flavour of the place.
But what's the relevance of the message. You're the only person who mentioned Mayo in this thread. It's also not like it's the only residency program in the country that has support staff do the things you mentioned.

It will be program specific in some places.

I've only drawn blood one time in my lifetime outside of a fight, and that was just because I wanted to try.

In my program, we would at least start getting hands on training for lumbar punctures, central lines, intubations, para and thoracentesis, simple I&Ds, art lines, arthrocentesis, bone marrow bx, skin bx. Theoretically you should also be able to do a foley, but I only did that during my ER rotation because I figured I should know how too.

Reactions: 1 user