Informed consent for various procedures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an article / piece somewhere that has informed consent information for common procedures? Like the sorts of things that we would verbally communicate to a patient in addition to the form they sign.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an article / piece somewhere that has informed consent information for common procedures? Like the sorts of things that we would verbally communicate to a patient in addition to the form they sign.

Not sure what you're talking about.

When they show up in the ED they usually either sign, or because they're so sick, have signed for them, a consent to treat form.. This encompasses most innocuous thing such as lab draws, straight catheterizations, etc. Depending on the situation, we can intrude more e.g. central line, chest tube, ventriculostomy, etc. Until family arrives and indicates wishes.

I had a whole thing written out..

In any case: No, there is not a piece somewhere. For every procedure you intend to do, you have to get informed consent. This means you have to actually talk to the patient, or call the family. Explain the risks and benefits. There is no blanket statement.

Not sure what you're talking about.

When they show up in the ED they usually either sign, or because they're so sick, have signed for them, a consent to treat form.. This encompasses most innocuous thing such as lab draws, straight catheterizations, etc. Depending on the situation, we can intrude more e.g. central line, chest tube, ventriculostomy, etc. Until family arrives and indicates wishes.

I had a whole thing written out..

In any case: No, there is not a piece somewhere. For every procedure you intend to do, you have to get informed consent. This means you have to actually talk to the patient, or call the family. Explain the risks and benefits. There is no blanket statement.

I know about what informed consent entails. I was asking about what things to note about specific procedures. For example, a CT for r/o PE. We have to mention the possibility of an allergic reaction to the contrast, and the possibility of kidney injury, right? There might be a form, but we as interns / residents also have to tell them verbally. So I was asking what things, specifically, we should mention verbally in addition to any forms they have to sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know there isn't a consent form you have to sign to get a CTA.

I know about what informed consent entails. I was asking about what things to note about specific procedures. For example, a CT for r/o PE. We have to mention the possibility of an allergic reaction to the contrast, and the possibility of kidney injury, right? There might be a form, but we as interns / residents also have to tell them verbally. So I was asking what things, specifically, we should mention verbally in addition to any forms they have to sign.
In general, bleeding, infection, damage to adjacent structures which may necessitate further interventions are the main ones. You have to tailor other specifics to the procedure ie. pneumothorax for thoracentesis.

Years back there was a website when I worked in Mississippi that had a list of all the items needed for informed consent based on the procedure you wanted to do. You'd select the procedure from the list and it would generate "Risks of the procedure include..."

Haven't seen it in a while. Wonder what happened to it...

Reactions: 1 user
Just go to the VA. Their informed consent system spits out a laundry list for any procedure.

Alternatively - know what the risks of the procedure are, and discuss those with the patient ;)

This is why I think it's frustrating that the lowest people on the totem pole are the ones getting consents. It should be someone senior enough to at least intelligently discuss the risks/benefits/alternatives with the patient and their family.

Reactions: 1 user
This is why I think it's frustrating that the lowest people on the totem pole are the ones getting consents. It should be someone senior enough to at least intelligently discuss the risks/benefits/alternatives with the patient and their family.

Yes it is interesting that it is typically the intern doing this. In an ideal situation it would be a senior (OR) senior+intern so the intern can learn what to say when they become a senior!