interns/residents question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the applications are due September 1st but how late do you guys think I can turn it in without jeopardizing my chances. I am trying to write a personal statement but it sucks (I am working 7p-7a in the ER now and my brain is broken) -- my problem is I haven't done anesthesiology yet...i don't have a cute story to use, etc. How many of you actually did that with your ps?
I don't start my first anesthesiology rotation until september 10th? Is Sept 15th-ish too late to turn it in. also my letter writers are taking forever and i am still waiting on my step ones.... there is just no way it is all going to come together by the first? any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't turn in a crappy essay just to get it in, though. I would venture to say that the timing of your app for residency is less critical than it was for med school, when everyone was jumping to get in on the first day.

Mid-Sep should be fine, I'd be wary of anything in October or beyond. Don't worry about the LORs. Out of your hands. They'll grant interviews if they aren't all in. Make sure they at least have 1-2, and make sure they are all in by mid-October, definitely Nov 1 when dean's letters go out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely don't turn in a crappy essay, but don't drag your feet either.

I wouldn't turn in a crappy essay just to get it in, though. I would venture to say that the timing of your app for residency is less critical than it was for med school, when everyone was jumping to get in on the first day.

Mid-Sep should be fine, I'd be wary of anything in October or beyond. Don't worry about the LORs. Out of your hands. They'll grant interviews if they aren't all in. Make sure they at least have 1-2, and make sure they are all in by mid-October, definitely Nov 1 when dean's letters go out.

Personal statments come in 3 forms

5% - so amazing you want to hire the person sight unseen
5% - so awful you want to shoot the person sight unseen
90% - WNL

As long as you can get out of the bottom 5%, I think it is worth shooting for Sept 1. As for your recs, be persistent and perhaps enlist a faculty helper/reminder if possible.

Well, here was my experience.

I knew I should get it in Sept 1. But for whatever reason (I think I was doing final touches on my personal statement) I didn't get it done by then. So I submitted mine around Sept 7.

There are some residency programs that start sending you interview invites immediately from the day you submit. So, some people got invites even before I'd submitted my application, and if you look online (i.e. here) you might freak out slightly, like I did. Like med school applications, the invites come in little waves, so if you missed last week's wave you might be sitting around on your hands for a few weeks until the next one.

But many of the programs that I was very interested in didn't send out invitations until mid-October, and some after Nov 1.

Sept 15 is not the end of the world and most places won't have sent out invites yet. Oct 1 is (in my opinion) kinda late. So I would aim for the first, but not kick yourself if it actually goes in on the 15th.

Do programs need the ERAS photograph to send you the interview invite?

If I just fill everything out including the PS and submit is that enough?

I agree with not dragging your feet on the PS. I recall a few interviews in which the doc sat down, turned to my personal statement, read the first line then said the dreaded "So tell me about yourself." :confused: I spent 2 weeks on that p.s! felt like a waste.

I don't reccomend doing this, but this is my true experience. Was applying to Derm, went to Africa for 3 months, returned in October, changed my mind about Derm. Met with program director and chair at home program in Anesthesia in mid October to discuss strategies/plans for applications. Submitted application like October29 (it was a Saturday night) by Monday afternoon had 2 interviews, by weeks end 10 interviews. All in all I think I applied to 20 programs and got 18 interviews despite being rediculoulsly late, and matched at my first choice. Again, I wouldn't reccomend this, but if you find yourself in strange situation, there is hope.

I don't reccomend doing this, but this is my true experience. Was applying to Derm, went to Africa for 3 months, returned in October, changed my mind about Derm. Met with program director and chair at home program in Anesthesia in mid October to discuss strategies/plans for applications. Submitted application like October29 (it was a Saturday night) by Monday afternoon had 2 interviews, by weeks end 10 interviews. All in all I think I applied to 20 programs and got 18 interviews despite being rediculoulsly late, and matched at my first choice. Again, I wouldn't reccomend this, but if you find yourself in strange situation, there is hope.

No offense, but the mere fact that you were applying to Derm changes the expectations of your application. I am envisioning a 240, AOA, and thus I am not surprised that you could rack up 10 invites in one week. That's not exactly the typical candidate here. We all appreciate your story, but to all current and future applicants, be aware this likely won't be your situation if you drop an app after Halloween.