Are anesthesia residents too stressed out these days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Planktonmd

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It has been a while since I posted here but this morning I was reading an article in anesthesiology news that made me stop and think. It's under commentary and titled "walk a mile in my shoes". (I could not find it on line to post the link).
Apparently some people at Duke have decided to create a day where family members of trainees get invited to a simulated day of their loved one stressful life as a resident or fellow so they can appreciate how tough it is, and understand the enormous pressure they are under.
The first paragraph is the most dramatic where the author describes her mom's horror realizing that her daughter is under so much stress:
"Beyond the alarms and tones of the OR, I turned to see my mom with her hands over her mouth, face scrunched and chest lifted in a sustained inhale as tears rolled down her flushed cheeks. She finally took a breath as my stepfather reached to comfort her with one arm, smiling at me all the while at the display of emotion and realization. I pulled my mask down and joined my parents, embracing them and holding tightly to my mom shaking shoulders..."
I really don't want to sound insensitive, and I do sympathize with this young doctor's emotions and her mother's reaction but I have to say I felt that the level of drama was exaggerated slightly, and that maybe the author has not realized yet that residency and independent practice of medicine are adult level activities where your mom may not be always available to comfort you and tell you how special you are.
I know this maybe unpopular opinion and I apologize in advance if it offends some people, but there is time in your life called adulthood and that's when you have to fly solo and learn how to land on your own.
This growth is crucial for you to be successful as a physician, but it seems that the current training programs have now become more about sensitivity and singing kumbaya than they are about building well trained solid physicians.
The results are obvious, we now have new grads that all they want to know during the job interview if it is guaranteed that they will be relieved promptly at the end of their "shift" and that when they get called to do a case on the weekend a CRNA will be always available.
OK, that's all I have, go ahead, start shooting 🙂
 
There was an article in the NY Times sometime before covid started about how med students weren't facing difficult conversations, decisions and being sheltered from them as a part of the education process (I can't find it because I don't remember the key words, and maybe it's been edited since, so the year has been modified). When I was faculty, I had a resident flat out tell me they didn't want to go over any topics with me, they only wanted to do question banks in the OR. I had asked what they wanted to discuss during the day as educational topics.

My parents would not have that reaction. My dad thinks my training was easy; he did his ortho residency in the 70s. My mom met my dad on the first day of his intern year when she was an ER nurse at the hospital, so she went through his residency with him while she worked in the ER on night shift.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At some point in life everybody needs to individuate from parents and be accountable for your own choices and life decisions. People need to mature emotionally to the extent that they can speak up and be their own advocate. Being a resident is not easy, but neither is being an Amazon warehouse picker, going to boot camp as a marine, or being an electrician.

I wonder what the mom saw that so shocked her conscience that she broke down in a teary puddle…
 
I think resiliency has flown out the window in favor of mental wellness, which apparently is synonymous with no bad feelings ever. And I say this as an “elder millennial.” My sister is an attending at an ophthalmology program and every year there’s some issue with the residents feeling put out over simple things like, skills lab where the best performance gets an award, being told they need to finish their op reports on time, feedback that they were about to seriously injure someone…

Sometimes when trainees say “this makes me feel bad,” the response should be GOOD that’s how you learn. Feel bad now instead of crying over lawsuits.
 
They invited their parents???? These people are late 20s/early 30s…what in the hell?
It tracks with this article.

 
It tracks with this article.

I would absolutely NOT hire someone who brought another person to a job interview uninvited by me / the organization.

That is a huge red flag & warning alarm that they have the potential to be a problem employee / colleague.
 
I would absolutely NOT hire someone who brought another person to a job interview uninvited by me / the organization.

That is a huge red flag & warning alarm that they have the potential to be a problem employee / colleague.
You would if you had nobody else to hire
 
I really don't want to sound insensitive, and I do sympathize with this young doctor's emotions and her mother's reaction but I have to say I felt that the level of drama was exaggerated slightly, and that maybe the author has not realized yet that residency and independent practice of medicine are adult level activities where your mom may not be always available to comfort you and tell you how special you are.

I would go several steps farther. In residency you are training to be a specialized physician. This isn't adulting like being an accountant or a sales rep or whatever. You need to be prepared to think and act in critical, stressful situations that are literally life or death for a patient. It's not for everybody, but you need to be put through stressful situations in training so that you can be prepared to deal with them on your own the rest of your career.
 
This type of rearing isnt limited to physicians only. I was raised in a military household by a single parent. We got all the things we needed and some of what we wanted. We were never coddled if you want something you have to earn it. Also, the concept of hard work was ingrained into us. My parents were children of Mississippi share croppers. Essentially had regular jobs and a farm to maintain. Work started at 430am then work/school. That generation had it way tougher than my generation. So it was very easy to succeed in a effort dependent merit based system. Hopefully as AI emerges we find alternative strategies in child rearing that lead to adults that are resilient and not entitled.
 
All kids talk about these days mental health. They can’t handle real residency. Being yelled at. Criticized. It’s all part of the learning process. Now the residents may report the attendings to HR.

We need to send these kids to Alaska wildness for survival with just toilet paper and enough water supply just for 3 days. Toughness will teach them something’s.

And yeah. My kids can’t even handle Disney fort wildness fake camping. The campsite rental for the fake camps is like $200-250/night plus for xmas season plus the luxury rv rental is $350/night so $550/night with access to shower and usual Disney stuff like heated swimming pool. We ended up at four seasons hotel 2 miles away after 1 day cause they prefer luxury living at $700/night. That was a couple of years ago. Im sure those rooms are $1000/night with inflation now.

That’s how my kids will end up like these new generation residents (if one of them wants to go into medicine). The other one definitely doesn’t want medicine
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We need to send these kids to Alaska wildness for survival with just toilet paper and enough water supply just for 3 days.

There's 10-20 things I would bring on a wilderness survival trip before I would bring toilet paper. TP is a luxury.
 
It has been a while since I posted here but this morning I was reading an article in anesthesiology news that made me stop and think. It's under commentary and titled "walk a mile in my shoes". (I could not find it on line to post the link).
Apparently some people at Duke have decided to create a day where family members of trainees get invited to a simulated day of their loved one stressful life as a resident or fellow so they can appreciate how tough it is, and understand the enormous pressure they are under.
The first paragraph is the most dramatic where the author describes her mom's horror realizing that her daughter is under so much stress:
"Beyond the alarms and tones of the OR, I turned to see my mom with her hands over her mouth, face scrunched and chest lifted in a sustained inhale as tears rolled down her flushed cheeks. She finally took a breath as my stepfather reached to comfort her with one arm, smiling at me all the while at the display of emotion and realization. I pulled my mask down and joined my parents, embracing them and holding tightly to my mom shaking shoulders..."
I really don't want to sound insensitive, and I do sympathize with this young doctor's emotions and her mother's reaction but I have to say I felt that the level of drama was exaggerated slightly, and that maybe the author has not realized yet that residency and independent practice of medicine are adult level activities where your mom may not be always available to comfort you and tell you how special you are.
I know this maybe unpopular opinion and I apologize in advance if it offends some people, but there is time in your life called adulthood and that's when you have to fly solo and learn how to land on your own.
This growth is crucial for you to be successful as a physician, but it seems that the current training programs have now become more about sensitivity and singing kumbaya than they are about building well trained solid physicians.
The results are obvious, we now have new grads that all they want to know during the job interview if it is guaranteed that they will be relieved promptly at the end of their "shift" and that when they get called to do a case on the weekend a CRNA will be always available.
OK, that's all I have, go ahead, start shooting 🙂

I can just imagine the scene.

Resident is standing in the sim center with a dummy on the table with fake vitals on the monitor.

Mom's crying in the corner like a dingbat and stepdad doesn't know how to act.

Peak circus.
 
I think resiliency has flown out the window in favor of mental wellness, which apparently is synonymous with no bad feelings ever. And I say this as an “elder millennial.” My sister is an attending at an ophthalmology program and every year there’s some issue with the residents feeling put out over simple things like, skills lab where the best performance gets an award, being told they need to finish their op reports on time, feedback that they were about to seriously injure someone…

Sometimes when trainees say “this makes me feel bad,” the response should be GOOD that’s how you learn. Feel bad now instead of crying over lawsuits.

One of the hospitals I operate out of has a family medicine residency and an OB fellowship.

The fellows initially assisted in my c sections.

They were woefully unprepared. I would ask basic questions about the patient (things I had written in the H and P) that they had no idea. I wasn't even asking them to do my H and P, just review what I had written.

I'd pimp them on routine medications used for OB hemorrhage. Very basic stuff. Crickets...

Then they would have the gall to ask to do critical portions of the case. GTFO.

They then stopped assisting. Lol

One recently did several months later and fumbled. Couldn't tie a knot adequately without a huge air knot. Had to re do it.

Obviously was not practicing outside of the OR.

Good luck to the next generation
 
For some programs it has swung too far in the other direction. And at the same time there are residents in those programs who don’t think it has swung far enough.
Had newer attending refuse to do a GI case at a satellite hospital after 5pm. Like she just walked out and said she’s leaving because no elective cases after 5pm at satellite hospital. A 5 min egd

She’s employed by the hospital.

That attitude carries over from residency to attending.
 
Had newer attending refuse to do a GI case at a satellite hospital after 5pm. Like she just walked out and said she’s leaving because no elective cases after 5pm at satellite hospital. A 5 min egd

She’s employed by the hospital.

That attitude carries over from residency to attending.
One could argue she’s trying to enforce some boundaries.
 
This type of rearing isnt limited to physicians only. I was raised in a military household by a single parent. We got all the things we needed and some of what we wanted. We were never coddled if you want something you have to earn it. Also, the concept of hard work was ingrained into us. My parents were children of Mississippi share croppers. Essentially had regular jobs and a farm to maintain. Work started at 430am then work/school. That generation had it way tougher than my generation. So it was very easy to succeed in a effort dependent merit based system. Hopefully as AI emerges we find alternative strategies in child rearing that lead to adults that are resilient and not entitled.
You had me 100% with you until AI 🙂
 
Had newer attending refuse to do a GI case at a satellite hospital after 5pm. Like she just walked out and said she’s leaving because no elective cases after 5pm at satellite hospital. A 5 min egd

She’s employed by the hospital.

That attitude carries over from residency to attending.
Good for her.

There's a special dark place in my heart for GI docs running their bull**** cases into the evening.
 
All kids talk about these days mental health. They can’t handle real residency. Being yelled at. Criticized. It’s all part of the learning process. Now the residents may report the attendings to HR.

We need to send these kids to Alaska wildness for survival with just toilet paper and enough water supply just for 3 days. Toughness will teach them something’s.

And yeah. My kids can’t even handle Disney fort wildness fake camping. The campsite rental for the fake camps is like $200-250/night plus for xmas season plus the luxury rv rental is $350/night so $550/night with access to shower and usual Disney stuff like heated swimming pool. We ended up at four seasons hotel 2 miles away after 1 day cause they prefer luxury living at $700/night. That was a couple of years ago. Im sure those rooms are $1000/night with inflation now.

That’s how my kids will end up like these new generation residents (if one of them wants to go into medicine). The other one definitely doesn’t want medicine

My kid just spent a week at Scouts camp in near 100 degree weather, sleeping in a tent.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As much as things change they stay the same. This is would 100% be my step mom if she saw the most basic case I do much less a trauma or ? She’s would freak out at the monitors going off during the bovie interference. She’s a dip**** that tells me I should just call in sick if I’m tired. The general public doesn’t understand what we do - or have an appreciation for it.
I would never hire someone who brought their mommy or daddy to their job interview. That person will be a nightmare going forward
 
None of this is the fault of the residents though. They never asked for easy training. People slowly realized what a **** show training used to be and so the pendulum swung.
No. H.R. happened. Lawsuits were filed. Organizations dont want to be sued so they take the path of least resistance; which is graduate wholly unprepared residents.

The joke is on the residents because it becomes glaringly obvious to everyone the attendings who "simply don't get it" or "avoid their own shadow".
Want easy training, you got it. It's easy on everyone.
 
I honestly think AI will help many of those who don’t have more fortunate education systems. Any kid can access chatgpt when they don’t understand a concept or need additional assistance. AI will level the education system.

The problem here is that as humans outsource cognitive tasks to AI, we start to lose those cognitive skills. I was thinking about this the other day because I am heavily reliant on GPS to navigate even in areas that I have familiarity. When I was in college, I didn’t have GPS and I could navigate the most congested of our eastern cities just by mental maps and a vague sense of direction. I have almost completely lost that ability nowadays.

I actually think the above concept is partially responsible for the concern outlined in the OP. As humans spend more time online, we are losing our skills required to process our emotions and present them in healthy ways.
 
Had newer attending refuse to do a GI case at a satellite hospital after 5pm. Like she just walked out and said she’s leaving because no elective cases after 5pm at satellite hospital. A 5 min egd

She’s employed by the hospital.

That attitude carries over from residency to attending.

I bet that GI attending showed up 20 minutes late for the scheduled cases too. I have a rule that you show up late then you get no leeway for after hours cases. GI attendings always show up late (or go missing midday).
 
I think resiliency has flown out the window in favor of mental wellness, which apparently is synonymous with no bad feelings ever. And I say this as an “elder millennial.” My sister is an attending at an ophthalmology program and every year there’s some issue with the residents feeling put out over simple things like, skills lab where the best performance gets an award, being told they need to finish their op reports on time, feedback that they were about to seriously injure someone…

Sometimes when trainees say “this makes me feel bad,” the response should be GOOD that’s how you learn. Feel bad now instead of crying over lawsuits.

It’s the dang internet. People need to be out in the world interacting with other people “IRL.” Thats how you build resiliency. You learn to read body language, understand social cues, and more importantly, learn to control your emotions in situations that might be less than ideal. Those low stakes social situations as an adolescent where you felt fear, anxiety, sadness, anger, etc.. help you build a sort of “emotional callus” where you get through a situation despite those feelings. As an adult, when the stakes are higher, you can work through a situation that might make you feel afraid because you’ve done it hundreds of times before and have the mental fortitude to accomplish a task despite the emotions trying to distract you. The more time people spend online instead of interacting in person, the less of an “emotional callus” people build up. That “emotional callus” is resiliency and it is a learned skill.
 
I bet that GI attending showed up 20 minutes late for the scheduled cases too. I have a rule that you show up late then you get no leeway for after hours cases. GI attendings always show up late (or go missing midday).


Ours go missing midday to go see consults so they can book more addons. We’re productivity based so we don’t mind.
 
The problem here is that as humans outsource cognitive tasks to AI, we start to lose those cognitive skills. I was thinking about this the other day because I am heavily reliant on GPS to navigate even in areas that I have familiarity. When I was in college, I didn’t have GPS and I could navigate the most congested of our eastern cities just by mental maps and a vague sense of direction. I have almost completely lost that ability nowadays.

I actually think the above concept is partially responsible for the concern outlined in the OP. As humans spend more time online, we are losing our skills required to process our emotions and present them in healthy ways.


When I was delivering dry cleaning for my parents in the 1980s, I used the Thomas Guide. Priceless.

Nowadays navigation is on even during my daily commute.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not in academics so I don’t know how they are as residents but our new grad new hires are consistently as good or better than they have ever been. Maybe the training is better or more standardized or anesthesia is drawing from a better pool of med students these days. I do think anesthesia is easier now than it was 15-20 years ago due to new toys, drugs, and technology. And the field has fewer cranky personalities than the old days too.
 
I bet that GI attending showed up 20 minutes late for the scheduled cases too. I have a rule that you show up late then you get no leeway for after hours cases. GI attendings always show up late (or go missing midday).
You guys are giving this newer grad way who refused to do a GI case after 5pm too much of a benefit of a doubt. She stresses out covering 1:3. So they put her at small satellite hospitals (which functions like a gloried surgery center) as they stopped doing emergency cases there and ship all emergencies cases to the main tertiary hospitals after hours and on weekends.

She basically covers 1:1 or 1:2 there. No calls no weekends for 500k. I guess that’s a good deal. Her husband is a teacher so she wants to make more money. So I got her privileges at a real hospital 1099. I’m trying to get her to work weekends. And she asks the dumbest questions like do they do cases on weekends there. I’m serious. That’s the question she asked me. Because she’s used to her gloried surgery center hospital that does zero night cases and zero weekend cases.

Her mindset was she could just take the easy cash on beeper and not come in for cases from her house 35 min away. I told her it doesn’t work this way. Than she asks do they transfer cases to other hospitals at night. I’m like wtf. The girl is so out of touch with reality. This is your next generation of anesthesiologists here folks.

She is not street smart. She is super smart (book wise). Complete Ivy League pedigree. Undergrad, med school, and residency. About as perfect a CV you can see in a new grad to hire. I think clinically she’s excellent. But some of my colleagues have different opinions on her clinical skills. But that’s all perception there. But it’s just the attitude. I just can’t believe her outlook how things are done.
 
You guys are giving this newer grad way who refused to do a GI case after 5pm too much of a benefit of a doubt. She stresses out covering 1:3. So they put her at small satellite hospitals (which functions like a gloried surgery center) as they stopped doing emergency cases there and ship all emergencies cases to the main tertiary hospitals after hours and on weekends.

She basically covers 1:1 or 1:2 there. No calls no weekends for 500k. I guess that’s a good deal. Her husband is a teacher so she wants to make more money. So I got her privileges at a real hospital 1099. I’m trying to get her to work weekends. And she asks the dumbest questions like do they do cases on weekends there. I’m serious. That’s the question she asked me. Because she’s used to her gloried surgery center hospital that does zero night cases and zero weekend cases.

Her mindset was she could just take the easy cash on beeper and not come in for cases from her house 35 min away. I told her it doesn’t work this way. Than she asks do they transfer cases to other hospitals at night. I’m like wtf. The girl is so out of touch with reality. This is your next generation of anesthesiologists here folks.

She is not street smart. She is super smart (book wise). Complete Ivy League pedigree. Undergrad, med school, and residency. About as perfect a CV you can see in a new grad to hire. I think clinically she’s excellent. But some of my colleagues have different opinions on her clinical skills. But that’s all perception there. But it’s just the attitude. I just can’t believe her outlook how things are done.
This is a little rich coming from you because your whole shtick is to take calls with CRNAs and have them do everything (stat sections, level 1 traumas, etc) while you sleep.
 
This is a little rich coming from you because your whole shtick is to take calls with CRNAs and have them do everything (stat sections, level 1 traumas, etc) while you sleep.
I do my on cases on call these days. I ran up the bill on ob but ob has gotten much busier lately due to neighboring hospitals shutting down thus shifting patients over plus hiring 3 new ob docs

The 2 million dollar bros got the crnas on call for their 32k-33k weekends. But they get tired also covering solo on weeknights as well they abandoned it for a while.
 
There is definitely a wide range of residents, and standardization of training and better equipment makes a lot of things easier andI understand that during training that its real easy to get comfortable doing cookie cutter anesthesia (which I too am guilty of at times). I see many come with just a single hammer in their tool chest, and it annoys me that people don't explore more. For example, recently for some reason Precedes got really popular for some reason, I'll straight up tell up, I didn't use it much in my training but I'm willing to give it a go, only if they're willing to giving ,something of my choosing, a go, and many don't take me up on my offer (but I'll still be using the Precedex to see what all the fuss is about).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One could argue you’re just getting taken advantage of.
That's just it: there is an intergenerational difference in how people see their role in all this. It sometimes feels like younger folks believe these boundaries exist in isolation. The world will behave is it does, and it's all well and good to set up boundaries, but the world wants that 5pm EGD to get done. Maintaining those boundaries my have consequences in terms of employment.
 
There is definitely a wide range of residents, and standardization of training and better equipment makes a lot of things easier andI understand that during training that its real easy to get comfortable doing cookie cutter anesthesia (which I too am guilty of at times). I see many come with just a single hammer in their tool chest, and it annoys me that people don't explore more. For example, recently for some reason Precedes got really popular for some reason, I'll straight up tell up, I didn't use it much in my training but I'm willing to give it a go, only if they're willing to giving ,something of my choosing, a go, and many don't take me up on my offer (but I'll still be using the Precedex to see what all the fuss is about).
Precedex is a good drug. It makes PACU nurses happy and everyone thinks your wake ups are great. There’s a lot of good applications for it during cases and it can decrease the other stuff you have to give.

But its effects can be unpredictable and people don’t make a big enough deal about how much it can prolong pacu times. New grads often don’t know this since they don’t do much in the pacu as residents and they’ve certainly never had to stay late at a surgicenter because they can’t get their patients to wake up. But I certainly have on account of residents/colleagues who were heavy handed.
 
Had newer attending refuse to do a GI case at a satellite hospital after 5pm. Like she just walked out and said she’s leaving because no elective cases after 5pm at satellite hospital. A 5 min egd

She’s employed by the hospital.

That attitude carries over from residency to attending.

Is she hospital employed hourly or on straight salary? If she is hospital employed with a fixed salary and there are truly “no elective cases” after 5pm, I don’t see a problem with walking out at 5pm. The hospital will take advantage of her unless she draws the line. She is no longer a resident with X salary and TBD hours. If the hospital wants to do electives after 5pm, they should pay for that bandwidth. This is in our contract and we’re not even hospital employed. We have negotiated hard stops for bandwidths from 7a-3p, 3-5, 5-7, 7-11, 11p-7a with the hospital.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is she hospital employed hourly or on straight salary? If she is hospital employed with a fixed salary and there are truly “no elective cases” after 5pm, I don’t see a problem with walking out at 5pm. The hospital will take advantage of her unless she draws the line. She is no longer a resident with X salary and TBD hours. If the hospital wants to do electives after 5pm, they should pay for that bandwidth. This is in our contract and we’re not even hospital employed. We have negotiated hard stops for bandwidths from 7a-3p, 3-5, 5-7, 7-11, 11p-7a with the hospital.
We have similar contract

7a-3p x number of rooms
3p-5p x number of rooms
Down to 2-4 rooms at most sites from 5p-7p. Any extra room gets charged by the minutes
After 7p emergencies only. Non-emergencies get charged by the minutes

The hospitals get the bill quarterly
 
There is definitely a wide range of residents, and standardization of training and better equipment makes a lot of things easier andI understand that during training that its real easy to get comfortable doing cookie cutter anesthesia (which I too am guilty of at times). I see many come with just a single hammer in their tool chest, and it annoys me that people don't explore more. For example, recently for some reason Precedes got really popular for some reason, I'll straight up tell up, I didn't use it much in my training but I'm willing to give it a go, only if they're willing to giving ,something of my choosing, a go, and many don't take me up on my offer (but I'll still be using the Precedex to see what all the fuss is about).

Spoiler alert: There is no fuss. Precedex is probably the most pointless medication ever. The way people use it nowadays leads to tons of delayed emergences and pacu discharges. There is nothing that Precedex does that I can’t do better with propofol.