Internship- beginner's questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yo7034

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:
How it usually goes? Am I suppose to be matched with a residency and then find an internship or the other way around?
How long is the internship and what kind of internships exist (surgery, medicine...). I'm intersted in a psychiatry residency.
Is it possible to begin a residency without an internship? if I'm intersted in beginning a residency in the u.s. and finishing it in europe, do I have to do an american internship for the residency?
I'm sorry for all the many basic questions, but I'm just beginning to plan where to do my residency and I need a place to start...
Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

:confused:
How it usually goes? Am I suppose to be matched with a residency and then find an internship or the other way around?

Internship is the first year of residency. In the most simplistic model, when you match for residency it includes your first year or internship.

However, to complicate matters, there are residencies which don't include internship and require you to match to that as well. You apply for both your internship and advanced placement residency at the same time. You cannot start an advanced residency without completing an internship.

How long is the internship and what kind of internships exist (surgery, medicine...). I'm intersted in a psychiatry residency.

Internship in the first year of residency and lasts one year. For residencies which are an advanced match (ie, Anesthesia, Radiology, Derm etc.) you can complete a Preliminary internship year in Medicine, Surgery or something called a Transitional Year which comprises other rotations. Most residencies in Surgery, Medicine, etc. have the internship year included. Psychiatry is a 4 year residency; most programs include the first year.

Is it possible to begin a residency without an internship?

Not if the particular residency does not include an internship or you have not completed it elsewhere.

if I'm intersted in beginning a residency in the u.s. and finishing it in europe, do I have to do an american internship for the residency?

Yes. Most US residencies will not offer credit for any graduate medical training done outside of the US or Canada. Please see my response in the General Residency Forum to your enquiry about doing part of your training here and part in Europ .

I'm sorry for all the many basic questions, but I'm just beginning to plan where to do my residency and I need a place to start...
Thank you so much

No problem asking so many questions, but please do not post the same question on multiple forums. And again, you will find the answer to many of your questions by doing some basic research at the web sites of the NRMP, ACGME, ECFMG and AMA.

I believe that most US trained psychiatrists do not do a separate internship. They just do a 3 year psych residency right out of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I am applying to a program that has the internship included, ex. gen. surgery, but I would like to do a traditional internship at another place?

thanks

What if I am applying to a program that has the internship included, ex. gen. surgery, but I would like to do a traditional internship at another place?

thanks

Curious plan, but if you must:

Apply for whatever internship you like (I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional internship" - do you mean TRANSITIONAL internship?)

Probably apply again because Transitional Internships are very competitive and generally designed for people going into other specialties (ie, they have no motivation to take someone going into Surgery when they could take many other qualified applicants who NEED the transitional year)

A couple of months after you start said internship, apply for general surgery.

Expect to be asked why you would want to do TWO internships.

Repeat.

I have basically the same question, but maybe a little more detailed. How do we determine which hospital we do an internship at? Do we have to apply to different ones and get accepted? And how long does a typical internship last? I've heard anywhere from 1 to 4 years! I want to specialize in general surgery, and have thought about neurosurgery as a possibility.
Anyone with advice is greatly appricited!

I have basically the same question, but maybe a little more detailed. How do we determine which hospital we do an internship at? Do we have to apply to different ones and get accepted?

You generally participate in a match process, such as the NRMP (http://www.nrmp.org).

And how long does a typical internship last?

By definition, 1 year. Internship is the first year of residency. However, i someone fails to match into their specialty, they may find themselves repeating their internship year.

I want to specialize in general surgery, and have thought about neurosurgery as a possibility.
Anyone with advice is greatly appricited!

General Surgery and Neurosurgery are two different fields with two different match processes. You have to decide btween the two fields when it comes to apply (although some applying for Neurosurg may choose GS as a back-up).