Internship Check In

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun-with-defusion

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am about two months in to internship, and I am having some slight growing pains. I was hoping we could normalize this process of growing into our careers as soon-to-be doctors of psychology. Let's talk about all the things that have possibly changed for us:

1. New culture - I know some people were lucky to have desirable training in a location with which they were familiar. If not, how are you handling the change in culture and scenery, especially as the some powers that be in the US are seeming to (just barely) create anti-racist policy?
2. Social support - again, some people might have the same social supports, but for those of us who moved to an unfamiliar place, how are you establishing new supports in the era of Covid? Also, if you have support, it likely looks different than the support you had last year, unless a group of students clustered in an area for internship.
3. Training - How are you adjusting to having multiple supervisors and working full time doing what we trained for?

I am not struggling terribly, but I am feeling the above list of things change. We are doing internship in a strange year, making everything new, in its own way. I hope we can check in on these things and others if they come up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi fellow intern! Thanks for posting this- I was wondering myself how folks were doing. I only just recently started internship. I'll speak to 1, 2, and 3 in a few months when I have a clear idea, haha. But just wanted to validate that it is such a weird year and I am also seeking peer support/chatting. I'm sitting in my "office" (spare room where the litterbox is kept!!) firing off e-mails for internship stuff, but mostly working on some old manuscripts that need to be published. Definitely did not think internship year would look like this. I'm definitely bummed and sad, but I can tell my organization is doing everything they can to keep us safe while also ensuring we meet the promises they made pre-COVID, so that helps immensely.

Reactions: 1 user
I am already stressed about post doc lol

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay for a serious answer, I am now in grace period and stressing about starting to pay back loans before I secured a job. Trying to think of my best options. Any hope they will extend the moratorium on payments/interest till like 2022??

• Sad
No joke, the thing I've been most shocked about with this pandemic (and I guess this is kind of sad and telling), is the fact that the feds halted the interest on all their loans. Like...I was more shocked by that than the stimulus money and all the other stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
No joke, the thing I've been most shocked about with this pandemic (and I guess this is kind of sad and telling), is the fact that the feds halted the interest on all their loans. Like...I was more shocked by that than the stimulus money and all the other stuff.

Woop! Here's to government debt outstripping GDP for the first time in like 75 years! I am so glad that my retirement plans in no way rely on social security.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay for a serious answer, I am now in grace period and stressing about starting to pay back loans before I secured a job. Trying to think of my best options. Any hope they will extend the moratorium on payments/interest till like 2022??

Oh my gosh, that is torture for your loan repayment to start prior to graduation!

Hi fellow intern! Thanks for posting this- I was wondering myself how folks were doing. I only just recently started internship. I'll speak to 1, 2, and 3 in a few months when I have a clear idea, haha. But just wanted to validate that it is such a weird year and I am also seeking peer support/chatting. I'm sitting in my "office" (spare room where the litterbox is kept!!) firing off e-mails for internship stuff, but mostly working on some old manuscripts that need to be published. Definitely did not think internship year would look like this. I'm definitely bummed and sad, but I can tell my organization is doing everything they can to keep us safe while also ensuring we meet the promises they made pre-COVID, so that helps immensely.

Thank you for the validation that this year is so abnormal! It's so strange because everyone is in it together. Training directors haven't started training like this, and they haven't had a chance to determine what the interns needs will be this year due to the shift. That's great your site will be doing all they can to keep you safe! I really think this year will look different in so many unmeasured ways. Will someone please measure this? Haha

I completely agree with you! That has been such a strange transition period. I am about 1 month into my internship experience. I'm originally from the West Coast and am now a transplant to the Midwest. Although beautiful, it has been quite the transition, doubly so because of COVID-19. I am actively trying to build my social support by volunteering and going to places where people meet (farmer's markets, gyms, churches, game stores) but making friends outside of school/work is a new skill I am developing and COVID isn't making it any easier.

How are you doing with the process?

I completely agree with you! That has been such a strange transition period. I am about 1 month into my internship experience. I'm originally from the West Coast and am now a transplant to the Midwest. Although beautiful, it has been quite the transition, doubly so because of COVID-19. I am actively trying to build my social support by volunteering and going to places where people meet (farmer's markets, gyms, churches, game stores) but making friends outside of school/work is a new skill I am developing and COVID isn't making it any easier.

How are you doing with the process?
First let me say sorry for the almost month that just passed before I replied haha. I think internship geared up in intensity. I love the idea of volunteering! What a great way to increase social connections outside of work/school (which is also a skill I am building now too). Also, the gyms are starting to open up a little bit I think in my area, so that is a good place for socializing too. I think I have determined I miss the micro-interactions that we would have every day without Covid around. I honestly have not been good about making new friends in my area. I've relied heavily on my existing friends and family for support from afar.
Are you, or any of you, Halloween fans? I know it's irresponsible to have a Halloween party, but I really want to dress up. Any creative ideas on how to be social too?

@fun-with-defusion Some venues will probably host virtual Halloween events, so perhaps check for stuff like that in your area.

It is the intern way—get to internship and almost immediately start applying for post docs!

And then get to postdoc and almost immediately start applying for jobs :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Reviving this thread. Now that we are further into the year, how are things going?

For me, I'm surprised at my level of anxiety/self-doubt/imposter syndrome that I've battled this year. I can tell I am learning A LOT but feeling like a fish out of water in many ways still. Looking forward to postdoc as I think it will be a better "fit" and I can relax into my final year of formal training.

I feel very fortunate to have a supportive training cohort and a supportive training director during this weird internship year.

• Love
I just realized this was an older thread that was bumped, but the advice still applies.

I am already stressed about post doc lol
Trust me when I say that the post-doc/fellowship application process tends to be easier....or at least more of a level playing field bc it really is about fit and I didn't feel like I had to sell myself...it felt much more mutual. A lot of places are also looking for a "job" fit too, so it can also feel like window shopping.

I'm not sure if this is typical outside of neuro & rehab, but almost every place I interviewed already had spoken w. a prior supervisor/mentor and they knew a lot more about my research and clinical experience than most/all internship interviews.

The year I applied we had some hellacious snow around the country, so I did almost all of my interviews on the phone. While not the same as now, I was pretty concerned about picking a place w/o seeing it and only speaking with staff on the phone. I picked a place I never visited (and withdrew from the match)....but I ended up loving it.

Best of luck!

This year has been a wild ride.... During the first 2 months of internship, both of my sups were let go. Since then, my sup. has been less than satisfactory. Then Covid prevented me from working for almost 2 months because of how high the cases were at our facility. Then, due to lack of hours, I had to take an additional minor rotation. My major rotation just allowed us access to residents last month, so now with 5ish months left, I am scrambling to get hours at one major rotation and 2 minors. I also have 5ish months to complete 4 assessments since we didnt have access to residents for most of my time on internship. On top of everything, I'm busting my butt trying to finish my dissertation. At least I secured a post-doc :/

• Care