Internship exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabasco

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the match is over, I'm starting to wonder what the next events will be. When is Step 3 due? What is it like? What are the in service exams and when do they happen? Are there any others? What's the best way to deal with them?

Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by tabasco
Now that the match is over, I'm starting to wonder what the next events will be. When is Step 3 due? What is it like? What are the in service exams and when do they happen? Are there any others? What's the best way to deal with them?

Thanks for any info.

The answer to all of your question is beer.

That should be the only thing on your mind now.

After you've peed out your kidneys...

I am taking Step 3 in June of my intern year. I don't know what its like but it should be easy peasy. The in-service exam happens in February of each year, and is 200+ questions, multiple choice with about 20-30 picture/EKG questions.

Your mileage may vary as some programs have weekly quizzes or monthly tests... this is all program dependent, obivously. We at our program have a monthly Tintinalli's test. By the end of the residency, we should have read T's three times.

Q, DO

what Quinn meant is that you should have *opened* it three times..................

Members don't see this ad :)
no, no, no you only have to open a beer once - it stays open after that. It IS most expedient to knock it back in about three gulps, though. Unless it is good beer of course.

No you are missing the point entirely.

I think what he means is that when you open one beer, you might as well open three. After all, what good is drinking one beer without following it up with two more?

Three beers is the minimum. You shouldn't waste beer when you are only planning on drinking one. Save them up until you can drink at least three at a time. Why do you think you have two hands?

Remember, AA is for quitters.

Originally posted by tabasco

Thanks for any info.

Apparently you've mistaken residency for medical school. Not one of those questions should matter to you. The questions that should matter to you are:

1) One beer or three?
2) How can I avoid getting fired from the only job I am qualified to make more than $5.75 an hour at?
3) How can I not get sued in my first month as an intern?
4) Are there going to be any hotties in the other residency programs at my hospital (if single)?

question #4 is extremely important. One that should have been answered on interview day, and been included into your rank order.

Good to know that I'm not the only one thinking about this (the hotties in the other programs, that is). I definitely draw the line at dating anyone in my own program (tried that in med school... twice... BIG mistake) but other programs sound like fertile grazing grounds. One of the hidden benefits of an academic center... more residency programs, thus more hotties.

One of the attendings said, "Match all the women you want - as long as they are ugly and married!"

Well, we only matched one woman, she's single, and...well, you just have to see her (and SEE her, because you'll only be focusing on one thing).