Internship Help:: Diverse Animal Experiences or Brookfield Zoo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PoggySue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need your help!!

I'm applying to veterinary school this upcoming cycle, and I think my application is pretty competitive, but I'm sorely lacking animal/veterinary experience. I have some, but definitely not enough. So I made a plan to not work this summer at my job and instead just focus on unpaid internships/volunteering.

Here's what I have planned so far::
--This spring I will be doing research under a PhD\-holder (professor) on American Goldfinches, so that would give me around 150hrs of classified veterinary experience working with birds.
--I accepted an internship at a wildlife rehabilitation center that would give me around 275hrs of feeding, medicating, and caring for wildlife.
--I'm planning on volunteering at a low cost spay/neuter clinic that will give me 275 more hours with small animals, in addition to the limited experience I already have.
--I'm scheduled to job shadow a large animal veterinarian for about 100hrs in August.

However, I just got offered an interview for an internship at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago for a position in the Zoo Nutrition Department. I was surprised to get the email, because I thought I would hear back by March so I didn't think I was offered anything. I know this internship would be really informative and helpful, as well as impressive on my application, but it requires 40hrs per week for 12 weeks, so I wouldn't be able to do anything else. I don't wanna go through the interview process and waste their time if I won't accept it..

I don't know which option would be more helpful in getting me admitted to veterinary school....The impressive internship at Brookfield Zoo, or the more diverse experiences I could get elsewhere. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would lean towards having the greatest amount of exposure to the field of veterinary medicine (pass on the zoo position if all others are a lock). You also need to consider getting letters of recommendation from one or more veterinarians for your application. If you don't already have an evaluator(s) in mind factor this tidbit into your decision as well.

As an aside, I had a number of experiences with 100-300 hours ranging from feral cat spay/neuter, farm animal species, small animal, zoo, etc with only 1 area (research) with 500+ hours. Suggest checking out successful applicant thread for some insight as well.

Thanks for your input!!! The more I think about it, I'm definitely agreeing with you. It's impossible for me to get a huge number of hours at this point, so I feel like having a few hundred hours in different areas would give me the best shot. It's nice to have a second opinion that agrees with me though, so thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

--This spring I will be doing research under a PhD\-holder (professor) on American Goldfinches, so that would give me around 150hrs of classified veterinary experience working with birds.

Unfortunately these wouldn't count as veterinary hours unless you're working with a DVM. They are animal hours, just not veterinary hours. VMCAS differentiates between the two!

Reality: You're 99% likely not to become a zoo vet.

Thus, you will benefit more from getting experiences that are not in a zoo. Zoos are cool. Pandas are awesome. Polar bears are even better. But if you're looking for an experience that will shed light on your future career and help you get in, then I would head towards the variety of experiences.

Unfortunately these wouldn't count as veterinary hours unless you're working with a DVM. They are animal hours, just not veterinary hours. VMCAS differentiates between the two!

This actually depends on what the research is. VMCAS classifies research under a "health scientist" or "health professional" that is related to animals as veterinary. (here) A significant amount of my vet experience was in a cancer genomics lab supervised by a PhD.

This actually depends on what the research is. VMCAS classifies research under a "health scientist" or "health professional" that is related to animals as veterinary. (here) A significant amount of my vet experience was in a cancer genomics lab supervised by a PhD.

You know, that's like the biggest mystery of this application cycle. Supposedly, VMCAS changed it so that "health professional" doesn't include PhDs.

Read this heart-breaker (esp post #27 straight from VMCAS peeps)

From what people have been saying all cycle long, it sounds like not many people got the memo. I wonder if things'll change for next cycle? Like... maybe a research section separate from work experience, animal experience, and vet experience?

Hm.

VMRCVM has always told it's PVC that only experience under a vet counts as vet experience. -shrug-

You know, that's like the biggest mystery of this application cycle. Supposedly, VMCAS changed it so that "health professional" doesn't include PhDs.

Read this heart-breaker (esp post #27 straight from VMCAS peeps)

From what people have been saying all cycle long, it sounds like not many people got the memo. I wonder if things'll change for next cycle? Like... maybe a research section separate from work experience, animal experience, and vet experience?

Where did that quote come from? I tried googling it and all it pulled up was links to SDN. My Google Fu might be a bit off today, though. VMCAS responding to it does seem damning, but I know I wouldn't have even been eligible to apply to my school this year (too few experience hours) if not for my research counting as veterinary hours...

"It depends" is probably the answer again, as usual. Oi. The VMCAS chart looked so nice and straightforward. :laugh:

Edit: Oh hey look, I even posted on that thread.

Last edited:
I dunno where it went either. I couldn't find it anymore... maybe they got rid of it? I even took your link, realized it was for the wrong year, and put in 2012 (due oct 3, 2011) and still nada. But I distinctly remembered that thread and having been surprised by it, esp because a majority of my vet experiences listed were human biomed research. I really like their example btw. "Giving a shot to a dog in a clinic is veterinary experience. Milking a cow on a farm is animal experience."

In all seriousness, I doubt a lot of the schools even cared or noticed. And for the schools that do use a formula to come up with a pointage system for admissions, I'm sure they would have accounted for that. It just sucks for applicants who are already stressed by these classification schemes. And it sucks esp hard core when different schools want you to do things different ways (both experiences and LORs), but you can only do it one way on VMCAS.

And, here's where I come in to throw off the thread. Actually, I would say go with Brookfield Zoo. Brookfield is a very impressive, well-known zoo and their experiences are very competitive. Not only are they well-known for their conservation efforts but, they recently became the first zoo in North America to have 3D imaging for their hospital. I know the internship most likely would not be in the hospital. However, internships like these are what open many, many doors.

If I had not of taken my internship offer at a well-known AZA Zoo, I would have never gotten the chance to work with Smithsonian conservation researchers - some of the best in the world. I also wouldn't be going to work at the world-leader in seabird rehab this summer. I'm not saying this to brag about myself, but just to show you what one internship at a zoo can do for you.

If you have a competitive application already and you know you would feel happier going to Brookfield, do it. So many doors could open because of it. If you are second guessing it, go with the other experiences. Either set of experiences will help you.

However, internships like these are what open many, many doors.

If I had not of taken my internship offer at a well-known AZA Zoo, I would have never gotten the chance to work with Smithsonian conservation researchers - some of the best in the world. I also wouldn't be going to work at the world-leader in seabird rehab this summer. I'm not saying this to brag about myself, but just to show you what one internship at a zoo can do for you.

If you have a competitive application already and you know you would feel happier going to Brookfield, do it. So many doors could open because of it. If you are second guessing it, go with the other experiences. Either set of experiences will help you.

I agree with this as well. OP think about your goals right now. How soon do you want to go to vet school? How many tries are you willing to take to get in? How opposed are you to holding off on vet school for another year or two?

If you're someone who NEEDS to get into vet school ASAP, and don't want to apply more than once... then you do need the vet experience (granted, you mean you have very little experience when you say your experience is sorely lacking). But, ya know, you can get your cake and eat it too. You can do this internship this summer, apply for the hell of it next year. And if you don't get in, you have a WHOLE YEAR to gain vet experience. Sure, there are cons to waiting a year, but it's also an opportunity if you make it one. With the fortitude you have in being able to line up an impressive amount of experiences for one summer, think about what you'll be able to do in a year! I kind of doubt that animal experience in a zoo by itself will get you into vet school, but if this is something that appeals to you, is a way to building your plan B, AND also adds a little umph to your application, I don't see why not. From the circle of people I interned with at a wildlife rehab/LA&exotic sanctuary, several have gone on to do really really neat things with zoos and conservation related work/research.

I also vote for you going to Brookfield Zoo! Wow, what a once in a life time experience!!! In my opinion the admissions committee is looking for people with these types of diverse experiences rather then just 100 hours with the usual stuff.

I believe that I got into veterinary school by having an experience like this.... during my 20 minute interview at least 12 minutes was devoted to talking about my experience because its something unusual that most other applicants don't have. I think that the admissions committee not only wanted to know more just to make sure I knew what I was talking about, but they were really excited to learn more about what I did.

I know it won't really count as "veterinary hours"... my experience didn't either. But often times its these types of experiences that are more valuable then true veterinary experience. This type of thing will help set you apart and make you more diverse then the average applicant.

BTW... working in a nutrition department is priceless knowledge before vet school. Just the fact that you have outside experience with nutrition would be wonderful. Nutrition is sooo important in vet med, but with some vet schools they only have one small class dedicated to the subject.

Where did that quote come from? I tried googling it and all it pulled up was links to SDN. My Google Fu might be a bit off today, though. VMCAS responding to it does seem damning, but I know I wouldn't have even been eligible to apply to my school this year (too few experience hours) if not for my research counting as veterinary hours....

From reading other threads (clearly I missed that one), I was under the impression any research under a PhD was veterinary experience. Which I did think was kind of odd for certain situations, including mine since my research is animal behavior and not really medical, but I was going to go with it anyway. Thanks for the clarification!

I agree with this as well. OP think about your goals right now. How soon do you want to go to vet school? How many tries are you willing to take to get in? How opposed are you to holding off on vet school for another year or two?

If you're someone who NEEDS to get into vet school ASAP, and don't want to apply more than once... then you do need the vet experience (granted, you mean you have very little experience when you say your experience is sorely lacking). But, ya know, you can get your cake and eat it too. You can do this internship this summer, apply for the hell of it next year. And if you don't get in, you have a WHOLE YEAR to gain vet experience. Sure, there are cons to waiting a year, but it's also an opportunity if you make it one. With the fortitude you have in being able to line up an impressive amount of experiences for one summer, think about what you'll be able to do in a year! I kind of doubt that animal experience in a zoo by itself will get you into vet school, but if this is something that appeals to you, is a way to building your plan B, AND also adds a little umph to your application, I don't see why not. From the circle of people I interned with at a wildlife rehab/LA&exotic sanctuary, several have gone on to do really really neat things with zoos and conservation related work/research.

That's exactly what's pulling me toward this internship if I'm offered it--it would definitely look impressive on my application and will hopefully make me stand out. And who knows what other opportunities might present themselves if I express my interest in veterinary medicine? I'd ideally like to start school right away, I'm going to apply no matter what because besides the money I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. But you're definitely right about it being appealing and both helping my plan B and application. Hmmm...

I also vote for you going to Brookfield Zoo! Wow, what a once in a life time experience!!! In my opinion the admissions committee is looking for people with these types of diverse experiences rather then just 100 hours with the usual stuff.

I believe that I got into veterinary school by having an experience like this....

Thanks, CarpeDiem, that's very encouraging too! I just hate making tough decisions....sigh :)

Thanks for all your insight!! and sorry for the lengthy post :oops: