Internship hours and 3 year program @ Midwestern Glendale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vandykitten

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering (and please correct me if I am wrong...)

I have heard that in order to be licensed as a pharmacist, you must complete a certain number of internship hours. (how many hours must you fulfill—or does it vary by school?) If you attend a 3-year PharmD program, (such as Midwestern Glendale, LECOM, etc) are you able to fulfill all these hours since you do not have Summers off? Do you have to work another year after school in order to complete the number of hours needed to finally get your license?

It would be helpful is somebody could shed a little light on this topic!

Members don't see this ad.

Vandykitten said:
I was wondering (and please correct me if I am wrong...)

I have heard that in order to be licensed as a pharmacist, you must complete a certain number of internship hours. (how many hours must you fulfill—or does it vary by school?) If you attend a 3-year PharmD program, (such as Midwestern Glendale, LECOM, etc) are you able to fulfill all these hours since you do not have Summers off? Do you have to work another year after school in order to complete the number of hours needed to finally get your license?

It would be helpful is somebody could shed a little light on this topic!

According to the pharmacy school orientations I went to that were given by pharm school staff members, in CA you need 1500 hours. At 4 year schools, these can ideally be completed in the summer, although you can also get some hours out of the way during the school year (they don't recommend you work that much during the regular academic yr b/c the curriculum's so tough). However, at 3 year schools (just UOP in CA), they also expect 1500 in CA--they don't cut you any slacks. You just have to work a lot every semester to complete the 1500 hours. I have a friend who's there at UOP and will be graduating this May. I don't know how, but he's pretty much done with his 1500 hours.

check out the FAQ's. 1500 internship hours are needed for pharmacist licensure. One only need 1000 hours to sit for the NAPLEX. I have a friend who goes to UOP and she said that they have to work part-time as an intern or work extra hours during their rotations.

If i could have done it over, I would of chosen a 3 year school! The quicker you are able to finish school, then do it. Spending another year is not fun at all!!!

it varies state to state

it has nothing to do with the school you go to and it is not standardized for the NAPLEX

ours can be accomplished during school sponsered rotations however each state has different quirky laws. for instance... VA requires that 300 hours be acquired out of school (1500 total)
AL requires that 400 be completed after your 3rd professional year (yes it states "3rd professional year") in a "traditional" setting.... (1500 total)

in thinking about it....
i bet that if you want to be licensed in AL after attending a 3 year school you have to either recriprocate or work a bit before taking the NAPLEX

Members don't see this ad :)
BESTPHARMACY said:
check out the FAQ's. 1500 internship hours are needed for pharmacist licensure. One only need 1000 hours to sit for the NAPLEX. I have a friend who goes to UOP and she said that they have to work part-time as an intern or work extra hours during their rotations.

If i could have done it over, I would of chosen a 3 year school! The quicker you are able to finish school, then do it. Spending another year is not fun at all!!!

I go to UOP and to be exact, we get 1080 hours done during our third year's clerkship rotations, which leaves only 420 hours to do on our own. It's not as hard as it sounds. Most students work during their Christmas and summer breaks to get the 420 hours done or working during the semester isn't that bad either. Nice way to pay for other expenses and get some experience in during the first two years :)

However, it varies from state to state. :thumbup:

Assume work full-time during Christmas break so 5 weeks X 40 hours/week = 200 hours. Do that for 2 years it is 400 hours. Dang it, I should of went to a 3 year pharm school. And get paid for it too! Sweet!

At Midwestern-Glendale, we get all of our hours during school...I think it's 1500 hours for AZ. I don't have to work if I choose not to.

Roxi- Check you with your state board to make sure all of those hours are acceptable. Most states have a limit as to how many hours they will accept from a school. For example, I will have earned 1600 hours by the end of my education but Georgia only accepts 1000 hours of it. Thus I will have to work 500 hours on my own to sit for the board exam.

To the OP, I currently go to an accelerated program. This is one of the downfalls of attending a year round program. However, with the weeks off we get, you CAN earn the 500 hours needed to sit for the board exam. It may suck not having a real break, but it is the student's choice if they want to put in the time now or put it in later. I currently have 400 hours earned outside of school and I got about a year and a half left until I graduate. Just goes to show, it can be done. :)

Caverject said:
Roxi- Check you with your state board to make sure all of those hours are acceptable. Most states have a limit as to how many hours they will accept from a school. For example, I will have earned 1600 hours by the end of my education but Georgia only accepts 1000 hours of it. Thus I will have to work 500 hours on my own to sit for the board exam.

Arizona accepts the 1500 hours we receive on rotations at MWU. So like Roxy said - we don't have to work (if we plan on staying in AZ). :thumbup:

Caverject said:
Sweet.....was there a rule change by the board of pharmacy when the school opened? If so, that's awesome!

not sure about prior rules, but it helps that one of our professors is the president of the AZ board of pharmacy. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. ;)

Roxicet said:
not sure about prior rules, but it helps that one of our professors is the president of the AZ board of pharmacy. I'm sure he knows what he's talking about. ;)
Wow..In Georgia that is against the law. No person employed by a school of pharmacy in Georgia can be on the Board of Pharmacy

AmandaRxs said:
Arizona accepts the 1500 hours we receive on rotations at MWU. So like Roxy said - we don't have to work (if we plan on staying in AZ). :thumbup:

Oh yeah, I guess I didn't consider what happens if I move out-of-state afterwards. I plan on staying in AZ. :cool: My daughter wants to move back to TX when I graduate, but I plan on enticing her to stay by buying her a puppy when I buy a house here in 2 1/2 more years. :thumbup: Maybe I should check out TX rules anyway.

Caverject said:
Wow..In Georgia that is against the law. No person employed by a school of pharmacy in Georgia can be on the Board of Pharmacy

I agree, it does seem like it could be a conflict of interest. And let's just say that's one prof with whom you wish to stay on their good side!

When does a student generally take the NAPLEX during an accelerated program? I read that the state of IL requires 1500 intership/externship hours before someone can be licensed. So what I've gathered from this thread is that you must also have a certain amount of hours accrued in order to sit for the NAPLEX.

Is there any consensus on the quality of the 3 year programs? are any significantly more or less respected than others?

Thanks
matt

I would say as with any program, it varies school by school. Not all programs are created equal. Regardless, at any accredited school you should obtain the necessary education to pass the Naplex and practice effectively.

As far as when youo can take the Naplex, in AZ we have to wait for the school to submit to the Board of Pharmacy some statement stating that we have completed all necessary coursework and have graduated. Then we can sign up for the exam.

off2skl said:
As far as when youo can take the Naplex, in AZ we have to wait for the school to submit to the Board of Pharmacy some statement stating that we have completed all necessary coursework and have graduated. Then we can sign up for the exam.

You can actually sign up to take the NAPLEX and MPJE at any time during the third year at Midwestern. The school ensures everyone gets a packet with applications to fill out. You won't get your Authorization to Test letter to actually schedule the exams until final transcripts are released from the school (a week or so after graduation).

At least, that's how it works in Arizona.

ForgetMeNot said:
You can actually sign up to take the NAPLEX and MPJE at any time during the third year at Midwestern. The school ensures everyone gets a packet with applications to fill out. You won't get your Authorization to Test letter to actually schedule the exams until final transcripts are released from the school (a week or so after graduation).

At least, that's how it works in Arizona.

Oh, I had been told differently by someone who graduated a few years ago. Maybe it's changed. Are teh dates far enough after the end of school to make sure that you have your Authorization letter (since you said you get them a week or so after graduation).

off2skl said:
Oh, I had been told differently by someone who graduated a few years ago. Maybe it's changed. Are teh dates far enough after the end of school to make sure that you have your Authorization letter (since you said you get them a week or so after graduation).

I didn't get my authorization letters until 6/13 (graduation was 6/3), but I'm scheduled to take the exams in late July. I chose a later dates because I wanted more time to study. Some people in my class have taken at least the law exam already. I could have scheduled the exams for this weekend if I were really motivated.