internship hours question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamorena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi-- T4C, please feel free to move if another thread suits this question better

i have a quick question for all of those who know more about this than i do and/or have gone through the internship process already..

when applying to internships, do you ONLY put doctoral practicum hours on your application? or are you also allowed to put previous clinical experience on your application? for example, i have an MA and have been working as a therapist for almost 2 years with a dually diagnosed population. if i get into a doctoral program, would i be able to include this experience on my application for internship?

the reason why i am asking is because i am about to interview at a 3+1 psyd program. i'm kind of worried that the program itself might not give me enough clinical hours to make me competitive in the match (altho i'll find out more at the interview, im sure--it looks like the program actually has a very high APA match rate, about 90%, if i remember correctly). would i be better off at a 4+1 or 5+1 school to get more hours?? or can i add previous doctoral program experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Youy can only count hours from sites that were officially sanctioned/approved as a practicum by your doctoral program. The rationale for this to make sure that one only counts hours where they had formal training and supervision.

Youy can only count hours from sites that were officially sanctioned/approved as a practicum by your doctoral program. The rationale for this to make sure that one only counts hours where they had formal training and supervision.

i see..thanks. so does anyone have any thoughts/experience with 3+1 psyd programs and whether or not you are able to obtain enough internship hours during the three years of coursework?