Internship in Delhi with Elective in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cassiopeia29

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to all:),

I am a final year student doing graduation in Karnataka, India. I shall be giving my final year exams (4th year) in January 2011.

I shall be doing my internship (5th and last year of graduation) from Delhi starting March 2011, which I’ll be dividing as-

· 10 months: Internship either in Sir Gangaram Hospital or RML.
plus
· 2 months: PSM posting from a community health centre (the above mentioned hospitals do not provide PSM postings)

I would like to apply for electives in US (most likely in internal medicine) rather than externships, which I understand are easier to get.

I would like advise regarding-

1. Keeping in mind my internship schedule, when should I plan my electives?

2. Do I need to do a full 12 months of internship in India? Our medical system allows us to do different postings from different hospitals. So if I take up an elective in internal medicine in the US for 2 months, would it be considered in place of the internal medicine posting I’ll be doing in Gangaram or RML?

3. Suppose I apply to the elective programme as a student (i.e before my internship gets over). Then by the time the paperwork gets sorted out & my dates for the electives are finalised, I complete 12 months of internship in India...Technically I’ll be a graduate when I’l be doing my elective with them...Is this possible? This would save me a trip back to India after my electives just to complete my internship in India. I can finish step 2ck and cs along with my electives and apply for residency straight away, without having to come back...

4. In my case, when would it be best to start applying for electives?

5. What is the upper limit in terms of duration, for doing electives?

6. Can we do electives from multiple US hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

=> It's always better to start applying as soon as you clear final year. Concentrate on the prof exams first and then think of electives. That said, it wouldn't harm you to formulate a list of FMG friendly places that would let you do an elective. Of the top my mind, i can think of CC Ohio, Mt. Sinai, Mass Gen Boston.

=> Most spots are offered for 1 or 2 months in 1 speciality. The goal is to get a good LOR from the work you put in. So shifting around hospitals may make it difficult for you to get noticed. In the end, depending on the spots a hospital has free, it's their prerogative to give you the time frame. You just put in the request.

=> Some places might require you to submit a Step 1 score for the elective. In general, if you have that, it significantly increases your options. But 12 months are all you have which would include time to get a Dean's letter of approval and documents stating that you are an intern at your hospital. Office work can take time sometimes so it would be best to find out what to do and whom to approach in advance. I am not sure of how it works at your college but my guess is that you would have to come back and repeat the months you miss during your elective.

=> You will be able to give CS while you are here for the elective. CK, you can give in India as well. You can club everything together also but it's best not to rush CK.

=> Internship is the only time you are allowed to do hands on clinical procedures. Once you graduate, only observerships will be allowed.