Internship Interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becomethelight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent much of this weekend preparing for my first internship interview which will be on Tuesday 12/18. I did a quick search on this forum first to see if there were any threads with good interview advice, but found none. There were a few posts in the 2013 APPIC Internship thread about interviewing specific discussions. I thought I'd kick off a thread for us to discuss interviewing specifically.

How is your program preparing you for interviews? What have you done on your own to prepare? Have you found any helpful resources?

If you've gone on some interviews already, post about your experiences, what you found helpful/not so helpful, and growth points that you would like to work on in your next interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot that my program does formally to prepare us for interviewing. Prior students have compiled a list of interview questions that they've gotten from sites that I plan on reviewing and preparing talking points. I also am reviewing the APAGS workbook as well. Our faculty also encourage us to practice interviewing but considering the semester is over and I will be interviewing before the semester starts, practicing with faculty isn't feasible. My plan is to practice with friends and family as much as I can. I am also reviewing site materials and developing a list of questions to ask as well. Other than that, I'm not really sure what to do.

My first interview is not for 3 weeks, so I have time. I am certainly interested in hearing about others' perspectives on what they are doing to prepare and for those who have gone, what they thought was helpful or what they wish they knew.

Our program has a student-created internship guide that includes common and complex questions we face during interviews. We also have a mock interview with faculty that is designed to be stressing, after which they provide you feedback. I found this very helpful and prepared me well.

You will likely notice many programs will ask a lot of the same questions (why us, ethical dilemma, prior supervisory experiences, dissertation, etc.). Styles may differ from super relaxed to formal to intense.

Some general pointers:

--Since you don't know precisely what will be asked, balance the line between coming "prepared" and "rehearsed." Don't memorize a speech for your response to a certain question (you'll be thrown off if it's asked in a different way), but be prepared to address particular points.

--Take your time with each question. Don't just consider most questions at face value. Almost every question you get will have some sort of implications (however small) for fit.

--Always have a positive spin for things, even if asked to discuss current weakness or past challenging supervisor experiences.

--Have questions. Make sure these go beyond what you'd get in the brochure. Also, even when someone else answered your question, go ahead and ask the next person the same question (if appropriate). You may get a different perspective on the same issue.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared with (intelligent) questions! I'd recommend making a pre-printed list of Standard Questions that I'll ask each employer/site (e.g. "What is a strength/weakness of your training experience?", and then you can make a spread sheet comparing/contrasting each site's answers. While OCD-ish, I found this helped me differentiate each site and more accurately recall the details of each site. I interviewed for 14 positions in ~26 days, so this ended up helping me the most when I had to think about how each site compared to each other. I broke it down to include quantitative and qualitative categories, though that was probably mostly the result of spending far too many hours waiting in airport terminals for my next flight. ;)

I'd also recommend making a Site/Supervisor Specific Questions list of questions (e.g. "Dr. Smith mentioned that interns have the option to attend the Crisis Response Training classes offered by the hospital. Can you tell me more about this opportunity?") Site want to know they aren't just a number on your list and it also helps you tease out what aspects of a site may make it a better fit for your training needs/wants.

Don't be afraid to let your personality out a bit (as long as you aren't abrasive or inappropriate). The people interviewing you want to see if they could realistically work with you for the year. Many times applicants come off as stiff and they get so focused formulating the "perfect" answer that their personality gets drowned out, and a great opportunity to differentiate yourself is lost. I remember having a conversation with a senior supervisor about my interests outside of work. We both ended up having an interest in modern classical music (Ravel in particular, a great turn of the century French composer), so we talked about that for most of the time. It wasn't forced or planned, but instead I decided to share a bit more about myself and he did the same, and it ended up being one of the more enjoyable experiences I had on my interviews.

I think my big thing is always wondering which case to discuss for each place and how long I should go on about a case. I am planning to present a case I had with a veteran for all the VA hospitals and then for the health psychology places i am planning to present a woman with diabetes, an eating disorder, borderline personality, and panic attacks. How is everyone choosing their cases? How much do you prepare to discuss?

You'll want to know the case well enough that you can speak easily about it, but in a way that is logical and displays a good grasp of the major factors at play. I'd be much more interested in hearing about a student's approach (e.g. conceptualization, rule outs, alt interventions considered, etc) than hearing a regurgitation of a summary note. Just my 2 cents.

Not applying right now, but I'm also curious how people chose what case to present (and related to this - what report to send in the application phase). Specifically, I'm debating between presenting an extremely complicated/difficult case that may illustrate my ability to handle complexity, versus one that was simple and straightforward that can illustrate my approach without getting bogged down in details.

1. The hardest questions were when I was asked to conceptualize a new case using my stated theoretical orientation. Sometimes, interviewers just gave me a few lines about a case and then asked for a brief conceptualization, diagnosis and treatment plan. I felt this to be ridiculous with only a few lines, but it was asked! So, my advice is that you have a few techniques/conceptualization basics on hand in case this comes up from whatever orientation you claimed on your APPIC app to be.

2. Know your "hardest" case well, and make it brief. Pick a case you can get through in 5 minutes or less, even if you have to leave some information out.

3. Think through your most difficult situation with a patient or supervisor, and how you positively navigated this issue.

4. Focus on the site "match." I cannot stress this enough. Be very clear about how the site matches your training and career goals.

5. Be confident, but not a know-it-all. They want to know they can train you/stand working with you for a year.

All I'll add is really just be yourself, and show that you can get along with others. Give off a natural vibe. As someone who went through interviews and also participated in the process, really, by the time you are physically there, most applicants are similarly qualified. The difference-makers are interpersonal red flags, so just be nice and (I recommend) laid back.

Also, I advise against canned responses. Maybe prepare talking points, but in my experience, you never got an exact question that people tell you to prepare for. I felt that there were variations of those questions, and memorizing some response would not have worked. You've got to be flexible and come off naturally.

I spent much of this weekend preparing for my first internship interview which will be on Tuesday 12/18. I did a quick search on this forum first to see if there were any threads with good interview advice, but found none. There were a few posts in the 2013 APPIC Internship thread about interviewing specific discussions. I thought I'd kick off a thread for us to discuss interviewing specifically.

How is your program preparing you for interviews? What have you done on your own to prepare? Have you found any helpful resources?

If you've gone on some interviews already, post about your experiences, what you found helpful/not so helpful, and growth points that you would like to work on in your next interview.

Thanks for starting this thread! What wonderful advice so far! I applied last year and didn't match. It was my only interview for a field that I felt sort of guilted into (long story). I've gone back again to my roots - working with adults using EBTs and I am very happy.

I think my ambivalence about the site showed. Even though I was desperate for an internship, they could probably tell that I was a bit wishy-washy about their site. So, I think that is important.

I'm getting NO help from my department to prepare. But, some of my friends are going to send me lists of potential questions and I'd be happy to share with you guys once I get it.

My advisor is doing his best, research was his focus instead of therapy/treatment like me, and he said to make sure I research the site and know the names of the movers and shakers. Be sure to be fluid in talking about their work and why it interests you. Similar advice one would give to someone applying to a grad program.

All I'll add is really just be yourself, and show that you can get along with others. Give off a natural vibe. As someone who went through interviews and also participated in the process, really, by the time you are physically there, most applicants are similarly qualified. The difference-makers are interpersonal red flags, so just be nice and (I recommend) laid back. .

Good advice and can I say that I adore your signature line!

Sorry, off topic but Bootstrap indeed! I don't know why everyone is so afraid of it!:laugh:

Was supposed to be at my first interview today but a big old batch of fog said "no way, you're not going anywhere" and my flight(s) were cancelled.

My first insight is this: while hotels.com may offer great deals, that great deal kinda sucks when it comes with a no cancellation or change policy.

In preparation though, I took an approach similar to what Therapist4Chnge mentioned. I made three "cheat sheets." The first was a list of the faculty members that I thought I might possibly be interviewing with, the rotations that they were affiliated with, their interests, and possible questions I might want to ask them specifically. The second sheet was a list of questions I thought I'd likely get, with a few talking points about how I might answer them (this was more of a preparation aid than a script, and I didn't think I'd be using it during my interviews). The third sheet was a list of questions I'd want to ask, separated by those for interns and those for faculty (generic to all site - thinking of making site-specific sheets though). I think I'll go back and revise this one to also include space for writing in answers - I'm going to make as many copies of this as I have interviews so that I can go back after the dust settles in order to help me make my ranking decisions.

My program is offerring some help practicing interviews soon, so I'm actually glad my flight was cancelled and I can now get a bit more practice before interviewing at what is a top notch site and one that I think I will rank highly.

I just received my interview information for University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, and the schedule indicates that interviewees will be completing "brief writing samples." Does anyone know what this might mean and what I could do to prepare? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my interview information for University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, and the schedule indicates that interviewees will be completing "brief writing samples." Does anyone know what this might mean and what I could do to prepare? Thanks! :)
haha. I just came on here to post that same question. What in the world does that mean?

haha. I just came on here to post that same question. What in the world does that mean?

I don't know for sure, but I know some sites don't trust writing samples that you send in with your application. I know I wouldn't view it as an indicator of your writing ability - because your supervisor has already edited it.

They might make you write about something on the spot, because it would be a better indicator of how you will function in that setting (e.g., progress notes need to be in right away).

From my experience, I guess just be yourself and be confident. The site is trying to see if you would match well with them and you should be trying to see if they are a good match for you.

I don't know if this will be what it is, but I know of a site that has had applicants read a narrative and then write a "brief progress note."

Though I have a few seperate areas of interest, all of my invites tend to be at VA's that have a focus on primary care psychology (I have a pretty good background in that area). Should I tailor all of my things for the interview (case conceptualization) towards that? Could it look poorly if the case that I was ready to discuss was in community mental health, not primary care?

Are you looking at #3?:

"No additional application materials should be requested of applicants at any time during the application and selection process, including testing protocols, additional essay questions, transcripts of therapy sessions, video/audiotapes, and undergraduate transcripts (though these will often be included with graduate transcripts for students who attend the same university). Applicants are not allowed to send any prohibited application materials to sites, even if requested to do so."

Yikes.

Are you looking at #3?:

"No additional application materials should be requested of applicants at any time during the application and selection process, including testing protocols, additional essay questions, transcripts of therapy sessions, video/audiotapes, and undergraduate transcripts (though these will often be included with graduate transcripts for students who attend the same university). Applicants are not allowed to send any prohibited application materials to sites, even if requested to do so."

Yikes.

Well, apparently that is new this year - seems a little problematic to exclude any printed materials. Sites usually do a variety of things on interviews - sometimes they have you look at data and conceptualize a case, or answer these types of questions verbally anyways.

Which would you rather do - be given 30 minutes to type a brief case conceptualization during interview day, or be asked to do it on the spot verbally? Thinking back to my internship interview days - I'd much prefer the written option.

Well, apparently that is new this year - seems a little problematic to exclude any printed materials. Sites usually do a variety of things on interviews - sometimes they have you look at data and conceptualize a case, or answer these types of questions verbally anyways.

Which would you rather do - be given 30 minutes to type a brief case conceptualization during interview day, or be asked to do it on the spot verbally? Thinking back to my internship interview days - I'd much prefer the written option.

Yeah I'm not sure if the writing assignment counts as an "application material" or not. I think I do prefer the written option over a verbal option, but I just wish they'd specify what we are going to be asked to write. A case conceptualization? Progress note? MMPI-2 interpretation? I guess I'll just try to prepare as best I can for every possibility.

A interviewee in my program from last year said that a site I am interviewing for has you do a written MMPI-2 and WAIS interpretation on the spot.

A interviewee in my program from last year said that a site I am interviewing for has you do a written MMPI-2 and WAIS interpretation on the spot.

Interesting. Sounds like our school's oral comps all over again! :rolleyes: I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a good answer to a question I've heard might be asked: Describe a difficult situation with a supervisor and how you handled it. My supervisors have been really good.

I've seriously been wracking my brain trying to figure this one out. I'm not comfortable with lying.

Though I have a few seperate areas of interest, all of my invites tend to be at VA's that have a focus on primary care psychology (I have a pretty good background in that area). Should I tailor all of my things for the interview (case conceptualization) towards that? Could it look poorly if the case that I was ready to discuss was in community mental health, not primary care?

I've wondered the same thing, about presenting a case that's not completely related to the specific site's population. If anyone has any insight that'd be great!

Interesting. Sounds like our school's oral comps all over again! :rolleyes: I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a good answer to a question I've heard might be asked: Describe a difficult situation with a supervisor and how you handled it. My supervisors have been really good.

I've seriously been wracking my brain trying to figure this one out. I'm not comfortable with lying.

No need to lie, just state that you've been really lucky but this is how you have handled conflicts with other colleagues/professors/etc. Or, you can tell them how you would handle a conflict, should one arise.

I've wondered the same thing, about presenting a case that's not completely related to the specific site's population. If anyone has any insight that'd be great!

I'm a current child/adolescent intern. During one of my interviews last year, I presented a case in which I'd provided parent management training and support within a conjoint family-focused therapy setting using a well-known, evidence-based intervention. I'd prepared three cases, two of which I'd written about in my essays. The site had advertized that they provided family services/support so I felt this case would highlight my strengths/fit well. When I arrived for the interview, I learned that they did not focus on parent/family involvement, seemed to have a negative perspective about parents of at-risk youth, and that interns had very minimal parent/caretaker contact.

It was my first interview and my case presentation occurred directly following the introductions/overview. As I walked down the hallway with the interviewer, I remember feeling stressed by this unexpected misfit and wondering if I should present a different case "on the fly." I decided not to switch the case I was planning to present last-minute, but it ended up feeling awkward talking about a form of therapy they simply didn't provide. The interviewer had follow-up questions that just didn't fit the kind of case I'd presented. My advice would be to prepare 3-5 cases beyond any you reference in your essays that suit the general flavor of sites you applied to (in my case, children's hospitals/psych residential tx), so that you can present the case that allows you to best highlight your fit. In addition to formal and informal "case presentations," I found that my child/adolescent day-long interviews provided lots of opportunities to reference clients with whom I'd worked in a more brief manner.

Beyond the details of the case, I agree with Therapist4Change that the process of therapy - how you conceptualize the presenting problems, interventions you used and why you chose them, how effective they were, and dynamics of the case/relationship - was of interest to sites.

Best wishes to everyone interviewing this year. It's a long, stressful process. Hang in there.

I have to say, in the few interviews that I have been honored to receive, I have met the most AMAZING fellow applicants.
I left my last group interview absolutely blown away by the dedication, sophistication and humble spirits of the other interviewees- I traveled home thinking about how I wish I could establish lasting friendships with all of them.
I wanted so much to ask if they were on SDN and what their username is because I wonder if they are people that I have already spoken with and felt support from throughout this entire process.

To all my fellow SDN users- I think we are a pretty sharp, fun and dedicated bunch!
I hope EVERYONE'S interviews are going well!

On that note- I am just curious:
What is the hardest interview question that you have been asked and how did you answer it?

:)

If there is an open house the day before your interview, would you wear a suit to that? Can you wear the same suit (change shirt and tie) for the interview the next day? With one of my interviews I will have 3 days of contact with the TD: open house, interview, tour of satellite where I would work. I was going to wear my suit to the first two and what I would normally wear to work for the informal part. I have 2 suits, but am only planning to bring one.

I was actually planning to go to the open house in normal work clothes, bring a suit, and change if I see other potential interns wearing one.

If there is an open house the day before your interview, would you wear a suit to that? Can you wear the same suit (change shirt and tie) for the interview the next day? With one of my interviews I will have 3 days of contact with the TD: open house, interview, tour of satellite where I would work. I was going to wear my suit to the first two and what I would normally wear to work for the informal part. I have 2 suits, but am only planning to bring one.

I was actually planning to go to the open house in normal work clothes, bring a suit, and change if I see other potential interns wearing one.

When I applied for internship, I was encouraged by my DCT and supervisors to wear suits to every open house. Its a good idea to bring 2 suits just in case one of them gets dirty since you already have two. I don't think anyone is going to pay attention to the fact that you wore the same suit twice.

I did wear two suits. Was glad I did because everyone (male) was in a suit. I'm applying to clinical child sites though so many more females than males. Some females felt underdressed.

Good luck everyone!

I went through the process last yr and matched at a great site in the end. Once I got through the first 2 interviews, I was basically on auto pilot and the rest of the interviews went pretty smoothly. I remember being more confident and comfortable after getting through the first interviews.

Good luck everyone!

I went through the process last yr and matched at a great site in the end. Once I got through the first 2 interviews, I was basically on auto pilot and the rest of the interviews went pretty smoothly. I remember being more confident and comfortable after getting through the first interviews.

This. Also, just in case anyone is freaking out about potentially messing up the early interviews--I matched at the first site I interviewed with despite feeling like it wasn't one of my strongest showings.