PhD/PsyD Internship Match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydstudent2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few people I’ve spoken to have a theory that those who have more sites to rank end up at a site they ranked lower in order to accommodate for the applicants who have fewer sites to rank. They based this on observations of previous cohorts. For instance, students who had 5 or fewer interviews got their first choice while students who had 10+ interviews got their last, or second to last, choice. Of course there would be no way to prove if this theory is valid... I’m just worried about and now and hoping someone will know for sure whether or not this is accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

It's not accurate.

Also, this may be a shot in the dark, but it seems like your questions might be coming from a place of anxiety. I hope you are doing all you can to take care of yourself!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A few people I’ve spoken to have a theory that those who have more sites to rank end up at a site they ranked lower in order to accommodate for the applicants who have fewer sites to rank. They based this on observations of previous cohorts. For instance, students who had 5 or fewer interviews got their first choice while students who had 10+ interviews got their last, or second to last, choice. Of course there would be no way to prove if this theory is valid... I’m just worried about and now and hoping someone will know for sure whether or not this is accurate.

As others have said, it is totally inaccurate.

The match uses the same system as medical residency match, which might also have some more clear explanations for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Are these the same people that are cutthroat and cheated on a test (or used WiFi?) and you were worried about possible discipline from your program? (Or maybe I have you confused with someone else...) If so, not sure I’d put as much stock in what they say. Where is your TD in helping prepare you for the internship process? Hope you get support from your program.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I didn’t think it could be true but wanted to make sure

Reactions: 1 user

Nope, not true. I know multiple people who ranked 10+ sites and matched at their top choice. One explanation that I can think of for why this might sometimes happen is if you run yourself absolutely ragged with interviews, you may not interview as well due to sheer exhaustion.

Reactions: 1 users