Internship Reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TicToc22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Like i've posted before, i'm a 4th year student going into ophthalmology and about to start transitional year in a few months. Just wondering what everyone who's been there before would recommend. Should I read for whatever rotation i'm on at the time (ER, surgery)? Or should i just read as much ophtho as possible to be as prepared as I can be for PGY-2? Any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same boat. I think in a transitional year that ward months should be focused on the ward, but electives are for study time. Any ideas on what are good books to study for as an intern?

I didn't read anything, and I did fine during the first few months of residency. (But it was quite painful). However, you will pick things up quickly due to sheer necessity and, let me tell you, the learning curve is steep.

If I had to do it over again, I would read "Practical Ophthalmology," published by the AAO. It goes over all the basics and how to do all the different types of eye exams.

Also, get a copy of the Wills Eye Manual and flip through it so that you become familiar with what's in there. You will be using this book a lot on call and it's good to know where to find the info you need.

If you are a gunner, read the BCSC Book 2 "Fundamentals and Principles of Ophthalmology." If you are a super gunner (like JR :D ), read the whole BCSC series during internship. My advice, though, is to take it easy, rest up, and have some fun, because no matter how much reading you do, come July -- you will be VERY busy.

On a separate note -- try to learn as much medicine as you can this year. You will need it as a ophthalmologist... and not just diabetes and HTN. Learn about things like SLE, Wegener's, TB, syphillis, and lymphoma. Get comfortable putting patients on prednisone, methotrexate, cyclosporine, and azathioprine... you WILL be writing prescriptions for these meds.

Learn about things like SLE, Wegener's, TB, syphillis, and lymphoma. Get comfortable putting patients on prednisone, methotrexate, cyclosporine, and azathioprine... you WILL be writing prescriptions for these meds.

This is excellent advice!