Reading recommendations for intern (starting PGY2 in July)

Started by djack240
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

djack240

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for suggestions for ophthalmology textbooks/articles in preparation for PGY2. I know about Kanski and Practical Ophthalmology. Does anyone have any thoughts on Review of Ophthalmology? Also, any good optics textbooks/manuals?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Review of ophthalmology is like first aid for step 1. Not helpful for being a PGY2 as much as it is for okaps. And hard to read without foundation. I like kanski, practical ophthalmology once you get started, and a good path book like the one by Yanoff. Kinda helpful for background...


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I think your focus should be on mastering the basics rather than getting too in depth at this point. I would read through Ophtho Book and watch some of the Tim Root lectures. The Iowa website is a great resource to familiarize yourself with before starting. I would try to go through the cases they have- especially the common stuff in each sub-specialty. Kanski is a great book to get early on. It may be a bit too in depth for you at this point to be worthwhile, but it's certainly worth a try to see if it sticks. I found G. Lang's Pocket Textbook Atlas to be helpful as a broad overview early on as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad