Internship vs non-internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pooppooppoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am entering my junior year of college. I've done the whole summer internship grind twice now at two top 10 med schools, and I have about 1300 hours of total research experience. I am wondering if I should pursue another internship next summer or not. Starting June 1st of that summer I will be paying for an off campus house for my senior year, so my other option would be to stay on campus for the summer and work on building clinical experience. I will also be completing a senior thesis in my lab at school, and I would be able to work on that over the summer as well. If I stay on campus I am thinking I would split my time in my lab working on my thesis and volunteering at a local hospital. I will also try to work in shadowing experience and maybe work as a campus tour guide (which would be very fun).

Anyways, I can't decide if another internship would outweigh the experiences I would get by staying on campus. I see pros and cons for each, and am somewhat torn (but fortunately I have quite some time to figure this out). I have also thought about looking for a few internships that really interest me and apply to them with the plan of staying on campus for the summer.

I would love to here anyone's $0.02. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should stay at school and work on your thesis and clinical experience (especially if your clinical experience is lacking).

Like you said, both are good options, but you've done the whole summer research thing already. I think it would benefit you to branch out and do something different for the summer.