Internships in Costa Rica...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUbrown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post on SDN, I'm still waiting on a school, any school, to accept me for the fall 2005 yr. But, in the mean time, does anyone know where I can get some info on medical internships in hospitals in costa rica, puerto rico, or any place in central america? I tried googling a bunch of stuff, but they only had teaching internships, but I'm sure I've heard of people going down there to work in hospitals. (I realllllllllllly want to get out of dirty jersey, I can't stand it here) Thanks guys, later.

Members don't see this ad.

Puerto Rico has ACGME approved residency programs. Check out freida at ama-assn.org.

It is not clear to me when you state you're waiting for "any school" to accept you. Are you speaking of starting MEDICAL SCHOOL or RESIDENCY?

If it is the latter, yes, there are *some* ACGME approved residencies in Puerto Rico. However, in most fields, an internship done outside of the US or Canada will not be counted toward a US residency. Therefore, you will be required to repeat your internship once back here in the US. This is not necessarily a bad thing considering working in a 3rd world country has its own advantages. Also consider if you think you won't match into a residency here in the US, every year hundreds of intern spots go unfilled; perhaps you can scramble into one of those unless you have your heart set on going out of the country for an "experience".

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I should have clarified, I'm waiting for regular medical school acceptance, not a residency. I just want something to do for the summer, I've heard of people going out of the country, to South America, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, etc. to work in hospitals, I just wanted some info on that. (I just want to get out of jowsy)

I'd like to second this thread - I've been thinking along exactly these lines for some time now. Perhaps sth in Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica... Any info would be muchly appreciated!!

RUbrown said:
Oh, I should have clarified, I'm waiting for regular medical school acceptance, not a residency. I just want something to do for the summer, I've heard of people going out of the country, to South America, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, etc. to work in hospitals, I just wanted some info on that. (I just want to get out of jowsy)

Ahhh...gotcha. I suppose when I hear the term "internship" I automatically think of residency. Unfortunately, I don't have any information for you about pre-med school work experience but there are some international opportunities for medical students listed here and on stoppagingme.com