Interpreting dental radiographs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiedough17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please help me interpret these radiographs?

I need to write a radiographic report and I've never done it before. :/

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

radio 2.png
radiograph.png

Also, I have made a few notes with regards to caries, the periapical cyst on LL2 and bone levels. I feel like there is a lot more!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You may get better responses posting on the subreddit /r/dentistry on Reddit

1st BW:
Overhang on class 2 amalgam on #3.
Endo, buildup, and PFM on #30. Hard to tell if crown has overhang or if it's just the angle.

2nd BW:
Small mesial amalgam on #14
Not sure what the large restorative material on 14 is.
Class 1 amalgam on 18.
Large restoration on 19. Onlay? Inlay? Not sure.
Distal proximal caries on 20

Pano: rampant caries on max anteriors. Bombed out #3.
PA lesion on # 23.
Extraction socket where #29/30 and where # 14 were. Possible oro-antral fistula at #14's exo socket? Don't really see any significant sinusitis, but there could be some communication there.
Furcation radiolucency on #31.

Also visible calculus on first 2 BWs. Probably a Class II perio patient

Probably missing some stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You see an oro-antral communication? Explain please

Does anyone see the left mandibular condyle as abnormal?

For the BW:

perio aspect: needs a debridement-evidence of radiographic calculus
restorative: yes #3 may have overhang. is it a big deal? prob not. could be due to the x ray though esp. since there is an open contact btw #3 and 4. potential E2 lesion on distal of #5-monitor. #19MO may have something going on underneath the restoration on the mesial. #20 for sure has gross decay on the distal..will probably need RCT, post/core, crown

#30 has RCT and crown, not sure of post (need a PA); #31 may have something on the distal, but it could be radiographic burnout

for the PAN:

the molars have suspect perio; would definitely test their mobility-in my opinion #3 and #31 are hopeless; the others most probably have furcation involvement

PAP on #23 and #24-would probably need to check that

maxillary anteriors seem to have a lot going on-#9 and #10--but would need anterior PAs

and i do not see a fistula on #14

Reactions: 1 user
1st BW:
Overhang on class 2 amalgam on #3.
Endo, buildup, and PFM on #30. Hard to tell if crown has overhang or if it's just the angle.

2nd BW:
Small mesial amalgam on #14
Not sure what the large restorative material on 14 is.
Class 1 amalgam on 18.
Large restoration on 19. Onlay? Inlay? Not sure.
Distal proximal caries on 20

Pano: rampant caries on max anteriors. Bombed out #3.
PA lesion on # 23.
Extraction socket where #29/30 and where # 14 were. Possible oro-antral fistula at #14's exo socket? Don't really see any significant sinusitis, but there could be some communication there.
Furcation radiolucency on #31.

Also visible calculus on first 2 BWs. Probably a Class II perio patient

Probably missing some stuff

Thank you! :)

Where do you see the calculus on the BWs?

Also do you guys agree on this about the quality of the radiographs:

Pano: maxillary anterior teeth roots are blurred, UR4 and UR5 are overlapping so patient has been positioned further forward than ideal position.

RBW - seems ok.

LBW - coning off.

You see an oro-antral communication? Explain please
I don't really, that's why I'm questioning myself. I just thought something looked a little off about that extraction space. But the intact floor of the max sinus shows that there's nothing going on.

Thank you! :)

Where do you see the calculus on the BWs?
Look at the maxillary teeth on the interproximals, at the CEJ. You'll see faintly radiopaque little triangles that extend from the tooth towards the embrasure.

cut off isn't important as long as you have what you're looking for. there's little overlap, you can tell what's going on interproximally and they're diagnostic.