Interprogram Influence in Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astrolotl

Ask me about my neurodivergence :-)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Without going into detail about my particular application stats and keep this relevant to as many people as possible, I am wondering about my chances of getting into particular md-phd programs. I have put together a list of labs whose research I am interested in, and plan on reaching out soon. Many of these labs are at institutions where one of the following is the case:

1. strong candidate for research program, med school is a reach
  2. strong candidate for medical school, research program is a reach
Of course it's not as simple as that, plus this is based on my own subjective analysis, but assuming that I am generally accurate with this view, will my strength in one program influence my ability to get into its accompanying program - and specifically with respect to research, if the PI is genuinely interested in having me join, would they have any say/impact on my application to the medical school?

I don't want to go into detail about my purpose for pursuing both, let's please assume that I have put considerable time and effort into seeking guidance and then weighing the options out for myself, and have decided that this is the course I would like to pursue. Thank you :)

I'm not sure IF this has any impact on your response, but the focus of my research and interest is biomedical engineering. If I had to pull together a cursory explanation for why it might, I would say that perhaps the faculty overlap between the programs. I'm not sure of this, but have no reason to completely rule out the possibility that this would factor into your response and this is why I've chosen to include that info.

Appreciate your time,

AZ

Members don't see this ad.

Not totally sure what you're asking here. Are you asking your chances of getting in to specific MD/PhD programs where you feel you're a strong candidate for the PhD program but not the MD, and vice versa?

In regards to a PI wanting you to join their lab generally it's got to be more than a want. A PI can say something like "I've worked with this student for years and need them in my lab" and that will have a lot of sway (Personally I know someone that got into a T5 bc of this). However, just cold emailing PIs will likely have little to no impact on an admissions decision.

Generally the hurdle to getting into an MD/PhD program is not getting into the PhD program, it's getting into the MD side. You say you don't want to share your specific stats which is totally fine. However, schools are going to care about your scores just as much research fit. When making a school list, target schools that where you are 2-3 pts above their regular MD average (to account for the higher scores of MD/PhD applicants), then from those schools pick those that have strong programs in what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users