Interruption/Adverse situation on AADSAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liz Cecilia

Sampson, grab my coffee
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?"

It kind of feels like everything that can go wrong, is going wrong for this cycle. I don't want them to think that I am whining- it really has been a stressful period, and my grades for the past semester have reflected that. I do not want to sing a pity story to the admissions committees, so please tell me if I should or should not include the following information.

My father moved across the country to begin a new career halfway through freshman year, and as a result, I kind of became a parent to my two younger sisters as my mother worked full time. I still maintained excellent grades through this period.

3 weeks before final exams this past semester, my family began a move. It was always busy at our house, (I am a commuter student), and with orgo, physio, and micro (all with lab) along with some other core classes, it was very hard to get good grades. My gpa is still excellent, but not as high as it was before.

A few weeks ago, my aunt committed suicide. I was very close to her, and it still hurts to type about this. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with Is this something I would not want to put on there? I don't want to be placed at a disadvantage because of her mental health diagnosis, but it really was a stressful event. I have my DAT coming up, and I seriously can't stop thinking about her.

Advice please, you guys.

TL;dr I don't know what information is appropriate enough to include on my aadsas concerning the adverse situations question.

Members don't see this ad.

"Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic performance?"

It kind of feels like everything that can go wrong, is going wrong for this cycle. I don't want them to think that I am whining- it really has been a stressful period, and my grades for the past semester have reflected that. I do not want to sing a pity story to the admissions committees, so please tell me if I should or should not include the following information.

My father moved across the country to begin a new career halfway through freshman year, and as a result, I kind of became a parent to my two younger sisters as my mother worked full time. I still maintained excellent grades through this period.

3 weeks before final exams this past semester, my family began a move. It was always busy at our house, (I am a commuter student), and with orgo, physio, and micro (all with lab) along with some other core classes, it was very hard to get good grades. My gpa is still excellent, but not as high as it was before.

A few weeks ago, my aunt committed suicide. I was very close to her, and it still hurts to type about this. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with Is this something I would not want to put on there? I don't want to be placed at a disadvantage because of her mental health diagnosis, but it really was a stressful event. I have my DAT coming up, and I seriously can't stop thinking about her.

Advice please, you guys.

TL;dr I don't know what information is appropriate enough to include on my aadsas concerning the adverse situations question.

First off, I'm really sorry for your loss. Keep your head high cuz it can only get better from here!

Second, I personally wouldn't try to justify lower GPA with simply "moving". Relocating isn't really a good explanation for low grades.

Third, I would postpone your DAT exam date if I were you. Such a stressful event would have a effect on me as well academically.

Sorry about your aunt. If you are afraid of being labeled because of it, you do not have to say the exact cause. You can just say something like: it was a particularly tragic, sudden and completely unexpected death.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm very sorry for your loss. Suicide is a very confusing and hard way to lose a loved one. That being said, I still think you should proceed with caution. (I am admittedly very conservative in these gray areas of the application, so please take my response, as well as others', with a grain off salt.)
What you want to avoid is being seen as a high-risk student. Even though I'm sure things have been extremely difficult for you lately, you still have the ability to go about your life and your studies. You don't want to be seen as a student who gets bogged down by stressors such as a major move. I personally see this section as being reserved for those who themselves have suffered a major illness requiring hospitalization, or for students who have lost their dwelling due to a natural disaster etc. Things have undoubtedly been very tough for you lately, but if you think about it, they could be a lot worse.

I had to miss a final because my father was admitted to the emergency room for 36 hours and I thought he might not make it so I wound up with an F because I had to retake the course. My dad was okay for the time being but a had a rough two semester's taking care of him, he was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2004 and had a lung removed, his health starting rapidly declining during the past two years and he passed away this new years eve. It's very hard to lose a loved one, especially close family, I don't think it would hurt to mention it briefly, maybe not get to specific but don't forget it is a very tough spot to be in. We're all people and no matter what losing a family member hurts. I'm sorry for your loss and best of luck

I had to miss a final because my father was admitted to the emergency room for 36 hours and I thought he might not make it so I wound up with an F because I had to retake the course. My dad was okay for the time being but a had a rough two semester's taking care of him, he was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2004 and had a lung removed, his health starting rapidly declining during the past two years and he passed away this new years eve. It's very hard to lose a loved one, especially close family, I don't think it would hurt to mention it briefly, maybe not get to specific but don't forget it is a very tough spot to be in. We're all people and no matter what losing a family member hurts. I'm sorry for your loss and best of luck

What kind of jerk professor didn't let you take the final a few days later?! Even with the worst ones I've ever hard, I don't think any of them would have said no if I could have proved such a thing occurred. Did you not appeal this in any way?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I think this is something appropriate to include--I don't know how I could even continue with school if I lost my Dad. I'd need to take time off for sure.