intersting dilemma (kind of :-D)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The2abraxis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so the school year starts up soon, and I have two places in which I applied for a position as Research Assistant (anxiety disorder lab, and counseling center wooh!). My dilemma arises if both places pick me to be a RA.

Declining one wouldn't be too bad, but what is the best way to do it? Because in the future, I may want to work with them as well, so woulld turning them down effect my chances of working with them in the future?

Or, is it unwise to work with both at the same time? I am going to have about 17 credits so I'm pretty full on course load.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

are you an undergrad? What is your plan for the future? Off hand it sounds to me like the position in the anxiety lab will yield better results. I don't know what an RA at a counseling center would entail, but actual hands on research with data would be more beneficial if you are looking toward a PhD.

I wouldn't try to take on both unless the hours are reasonable.

good luck.

Depends on many things.

Many people work in 2 labs at once. Its far from impossible. Whether or not its a good idea depends on how intense those 17 credits are, and how busy you're willing to be:)

As far as declining, I'd personally tell them you received an offer from another lab and have already committed, and you would still love to be involved since you really like their area but are worried about overcommitting yourself. They may offer an opportunity for you to be involved for a smaller amount of time if they really want you, or at the very least, it shouldn't get anyone angry (department politics aside), so they probably wouldn't be mortified if you came back next semester and said you think you'll have time to work in both labs then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on many things.

Many people work in 2 labs at once. Its far from impossible. Whether or not its a good idea depends on how intense those 17 credits are, and how busy you're willing to be:)

As far as declining, I'd personally tell them you received an offer from another lab and have already committed, and you would still love to be involved since you really like their area but are worried about overcommitting yourself. They may offer an opportunity for you to be involved for a smaller amount of time if they really want you, or at the very least, it shouldn't get anyone angry (department politics aside), so they probably wouldn't be mortified if you came back next semester and said you think you'll have time to work in both labs then.

I agree with Ollie. At this point, more is better. If you can handle working both, do both. Be an all-star. If you can't, explain to the other lab your situation -that you've already made a commitment to another lab and given your current course load, you want to leave time in there to study and make good grades. However, based on how things go this semester, you may be interested in joining next semester. Still, it may be even better to accept both positions and explain to them up front that you're taking 17 hours and may need a break in there. That way you don't risk loosing the spot if you decide that you want it in the future and they offer it to someone else.

thanks for the suggestions. I think I will try both if I get em both, because they arent as time consuming as I thought (3-6 hrs per week for each??).