MNSPHARM

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
I will have an interview for a pharmacist position at the poison control center of my local department of health. Any tips for the interview? Any insight on working as a pharmacist for poison control center? ( P.S. I know the salary is lower than retail).

TheBlaah

7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I know a pharmacist who works at the poison control center in Texas. He basically answers the phone and provides counselling based on the situation. Usually, he just follows the script given to him. Basically, nurses are also qualified for the same position.

By the way, his salary is/was ~65k, almost 1/2 of retail.

Reactions: MindGeek

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I know a pharmacist who works at the poison control center in Texas. He basically answers the phone and provides counselling based on the situation. Usually, he just follows the script given to him. Basically, nurses are also qualified for the same position.

Woah. That's a major pay cut.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist

What were the fringe benefits? Pension at what percent and when? SSA exempt? 65k a year straight sucks, but those details can make it suck less.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: njac

Rukn

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2012
Status
Pharmacist

65k lol

you can make that working just 6 months in retail

BidingMyTime

Lost Shaker Of Salt
10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Illinois
Status
Pharmacist
Yeah, pharmacists can be hired for poison control centers, but they are competing against nurses for the job, and the pay and benefits are consequently, substantially lower. Still, the job itself can be worth it (or perhaps the only option) for some....focused on only 1 patient at a time, no standing or mobility required, possibly work at home depending on the center, flexibility with shifts, and depending on the center an active license may not be required.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
I'm thinking if someone has a physical disability where a retail or hospital accommodation can't work, poison control would be a good option.

Like...Professor X and his cool ass wheelchair or something.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: MindGeek

El Trombopag

5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I did a rotation at the poison center and loved it. Benefits - no dress code (pajamas were common), no insurance, no face to face, one line at a time, many interesting cases/pharmacology issues. Downsides - pay, schedule (most newbies get crappy shifts), continuing budget concerns, regular OD calls from people who really didn't want to go through with it (depressing). I thought it was a fantastic rotation, but don't think I could do it long term.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

OP
M

MNSPHARM

5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
I did a rotation at the poison center and loved it. Benefits - no dress code (pajamas were common), no insurance, no face to face, one line at a time, many interesting cases/pharmacology issues. Downsides - pay, schedule (most newbies get crappy shifts), continuing budget concerns, regular OD calls from people who really didn't want to go through with it (depressing). I thought it was a fantastic rotation, but don't think I could do it long term.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Dear El Trombopag,
What are the reasons that you would not do it long term? Thanks