Interveiw with Poison Control Center

Started by MNSPHARM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MNSPHARM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will have an interview for a pharmacist position at the poison control center of my local department of health. Any tips for the interview? Any insight on working as a pharmacist for poison control center? ( P.S. I know the salary is lower than retail).
 
I know a pharmacist who works at the poison control center in Texas. He basically answers the phone and provides counselling based on the situation. Usually, he just follows the script given to him. Basically, nurses are also qualified for the same position.

By the way, his salary is/was ~65k, almost 1/2 of retail.
 
I know a pharmacist who works at the poison control center in Texas. He basically answers the phone and provides counselling based on the situation. Usually, he just follows the script given to him. Basically, nurses are also qualified for the same position.

By the way, his salary is/was ~65k, almost 1/2 of retail.

What were the fringe benefits? Pension at what percent and when? SSA exempt? 65k a year straight sucks, but those details can make it suck less.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a pharmacist who works at the poison control center in Texas. He basically answers the phone and provides counselling based on the situation. Usually, he just follows the script given to him. Basically, nurses are also qualified for the same position.

By the way, his salary is/was ~65k, almost 1/2 of retail.
65k lol

you can make that working just 6 months in retail
 
Yeah, pharmacists can be hired for poison control centers, but they are competing against nurses for the job, and the pay and benefits are consequently, substantially lower. Still, the job itself can be worth it (or perhaps the only option) for some....focused on only 1 patient at a time, no standing or mobility required, possibly work at home depending on the center, flexibility with shifts, and depending on the center an active license may not be required.
 
I'm thinking if someone has a physical disability where a retail or hospital accommodation can't work, poison control would be a good option.

Like...Professor X and his cool ass wheelchair or something.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I did a rotation at the poison center and loved it. Benefits - no dress code (pajamas were common), no insurance, no face to face, one line at a time, many interesting cases/pharmacology issues. Downsides - pay, schedule (most newbies get crappy shifts), continuing budget concerns, regular OD calls from people who really didn't want to go through with it (depressing). I thought it was a fantastic rotation, but don't think I could do it long term.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
I did a rotation at the poison center and loved it. Benefits - no dress code (pajamas were common), no insurance, no face to face, one line at a time, many interesting cases/pharmacology issues. Downsides - pay, schedule (most newbies get crappy shifts), continuing budget concerns, regular OD calls from people who really didn't want to go through with it (depressing). I thought it was a fantastic rotation, but don't think I could do it long term.


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Dear El Trombopag,
What are the reasons that you would not do it long term? Thanks