Intervention cardiology 2018 - LoR and CV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to interventional cardiology fellowship this year.

2 silly questions:

- My cath lab attending wants me to write my own letter. Any guidance on how exactly to do that? I have never had to write one for myself before. Not quite sure how detailed/bashful/laudatory this should be

- In your CV, do you list the research/abstract that were submitted but not accepted?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I am also applying and ran into this same issue.
For:
- My cath lab attending wants me to write my own letter. Any guidance on how exactly to do that? I have never had to write one for myself before. Not quite sure how detailed/bashful/laudatory this should be
First, this is a weird process, I totally understand your concern. First, I researched contents of below average, average and above average LOR's and what PD's are looking for in a LOR. I basically highlighted strengths (research areas, board exams, in-service scores, ability, etc) without being overly fluffy and sounding obnoxious. It is hard to do and it feels weird writing about yourself, but I sat down with the attending and my "LOR draft" and together we polished it. Overall, it was a shining LOR and I think a worthwhile process (although I am unsure about the weight of these LOR's these days).
For:
- In your CV, do you list the research/abstract that were submitted but not accepted?
Personally, I did not include them. However, a colleague did and put in parenthesis "submitted for publication." I am not sure what is the exact policy on this. I would say, however, that if something is not accepted then generally it is not something that would impact a PD's decision one way or another. Showing scholarship is great, but not when the Cardiology community hasn't deemed it great. Overall, this is likely personal choice/preference. I did update my CV with new research/abstract's that I am working on and plan on bringing the updated version to interviews as a supplement.

Any other opinions?

Also, it is probably about time to make a formal thread on the interventional application cycle for July 2018 start date. This way we can keep updated on which programs filled, who received interviews where, and offers/acceptances. Best of luck to everyone!

Yup mossyfiber, they are 2 silly questions.