Intervention cardiology 2018 - LoR and CV question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mossyfiber12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to interventional cardiology fellowship this year.

2 silly questions:

- My cath lab attending wants me to write my own letter. Any guidance on how exactly to do that? I have never had to write one for myself before. Not quite sure how detailed/bashful/laudatory this should be

- In your CV, do you list the research/abstract that were submitted but not accepted?

Thanks guys.
 
I am also applying and ran into this same issue.
For:
- My cath lab attending wants me to write my own letter. Any guidance on how exactly to do that? I have never had to write one for myself before. Not quite sure how detailed/bashful/laudatory this should be
First, this is a weird process, I totally understand your concern. First, I researched contents of below average, average and above average LOR's and what PD's are looking for in a LOR. I basically highlighted strengths (research areas, board exams, in-service scores, ability, etc) without being overly fluffy and sounding obnoxious. It is hard to do and it feels weird writing about yourself, but I sat down with the attending and my "LOR draft" and together we polished it. Overall, it was a shining LOR and I think a worthwhile process (although I am unsure about the weight of these LOR's these days).
For:
- In your CV, do you list the research/abstract that were submitted but not accepted?
Personally, I did not include them. However, a colleague did and put in parenthesis "submitted for publication." I am not sure what is the exact policy on this. I would say, however, that if something is not accepted then generally it is not something that would impact a PD's decision one way or another. Showing scholarship is great, but not when the Cardiology community hasn't deemed it great. Overall, this is likely personal choice/preference. I did update my CV with new research/abstract's that I am working on and plan on bringing the updated version to interviews as a supplement.

Any other opinions?

Also, it is probably about time to make a formal thread on the interventional application cycle for July 2018 start date. This way we can keep updated on which programs filled, who received interviews where, and offers/acceptances. Best of luck to everyone!