- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Cardiology
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Interventional Cardiology fellowship July 2016
Started by blasmici
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
By when is it safe to assume that most programs are done offering interviews and that "it is what it is"?
Mid Feb? March? Now?
Mid Feb? March? Now?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any advise on what to do if a program offers u a spot and you have not heard from or not interviewed with another program you might be interested in. Thanks.
Take the spot.
Still places sending out interviews last few days so regarding the timing I think there are still more positions being offered.
U
uselessmember
Add University of Toledo (2/17, 2/24)
Take the spot.
Still places sending out interviews last few days so regarding the timing I think there are still more positions being offered.
Thnx!!
Do u mean cleveland clinic EBU?-I thought they were filling in-house.anyways-congrats.I liked Emory-strong clinical training, nice city.Peripheral volume may be a little low.Good CTO.They have started a new structural year-but 1 spot only.Pretty high volume TAVR.They have a surgical TAVR fellow too.
UMiami invite!
Do u mean cleveland clinic EBU?-I thought they were filling in-house.anyways-congrats.I liked Emory-strong clinical training, nice city.Peripheral volume may be a little low.Good CTO.They have started a new structural year-but 1 spot only.Pretty high volume TAVR.They have a surgical TAVR fellow too.
Yes, Cleveland Clinic. I agree with comments re Emory... but not sure how much hands on experience with the TAVR!
I have also got invitation for NYU! Any advice/opinion re NYU interventional/structural training?
Thanks
J
Yes, Cleveland Clinic. I agree with comments re Emory... but not sure how much hands on experience with the TAVR!
I have also got invitation for NYU! Any advice/opinion re NYU interventional/structural training?
Thanks
J
I thought NYU filled already from what I know (one internal and one external), unless something unusual happened like someone changed their opinion or something.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought CC has already filled as well!
St Lukes/Roosevelt invite. Anyone have information on program? Website is limited.
Also curious about Lenox hill, interviewed there also and have not heard anything.
Lenox Hill is a good program but has recently filled all its spots.
St Lukes/Roosevelt is a very weak program. Very low coronary volume with minimal peripheral or structural exposure. Only one fellow who is on call every day of the year except 2 weekends a month.
Hey guys, heard UMass filled internally although they were interviewing? Anyone know the status ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not true-i got offer from UMass-and I def am not an internal....i didnot accept Umass...
Man, that's hard to reject.... unless you already signed with somebody else...
I agree- the sheer volume there is amazing
This thread was extremely helpful to me given the limited info about the process and lack of a match. Though it might be late, I just consolidated the list below and added some info that I received over the past few weeks. Good luck.
Ohio State (4/3)
Mount Sinai - Miami Beach (March interview)
Michigan State (heard from a few friends on the trail)
Mount Sinai – NY (3/11)
Mount Sinai – St. Luke’s Roosevelt (Mid Feb)
University of Miami (2,27, 3/2)
University of Texas – Houston (2/27)
University of Cincinnati (3/3, 3/10)
Filled internally:
Thomas Jefferson
University of Alabama (?)
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
Henry Ford
Washington University-St. Louis
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute
UCLA (?)
Allegheny General
Interviewing:
Ohio State (4/3)
Michigan State (?)
Mount Sinai – NY (3/11)
Mount Sinai - Miami Beach (March interview)
Mount Sinai – St. Luke’s Roosevelt (Mid Feb)
University of Miami (2,27, 3/2)
University of Texas – Houston (2/27)
University of Cincinnati (3/3, 3/10)
UAB 2/20 (3/3, 3/10)
Brown (?)
Montefiore (2/24)
Kentucky (?)
Oklahoma (?)
University of Toledo (2/17,2/24)
University of Arkansas (1/23, 2/6)
Utah 2/3 (2/23,3/04)
University of Florida (?)
Westchester Medical Center (?)
St. John Hospital / Detroit 1/30 (3/27)
NY Methodist 1/29 (3/23, 3/24, 3/27, 3/30, 4/6, 4/7, 4/10)
Mount Sinai (Miami Beach) 1/29 (2/2)
Johns Hopkins 1/28 (2/18, 2/25, 3/10, 3/11)
Temple 1/28 (2/17)
Case Western (?)
Loyola (2/7)
USC 1/16 (2/3, 2/10, 2/17)
Harbor-UCLA 1/15 (2/2-2/5, 2/9-2/12)
William Beaumont 1/14 (3/6)
University of Wisconsin 1/14 (2/4, 2/18, 3/4)
Lenox Hill 1/14 (2/3, 2/5, 2/9, 2/11)
Scripps 1/14 (1/27)
Emory 1/13 (1/23)
KUMC 1/12 (2/5)
MGH 1/12 (1/24)
NYU 1/9 (1/22, 1/23, 1/29, 1/30)
BIDMC: 1/8 (1/28, 2/3, 2/4, 2/10)
Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center: 1/6 (1/21)
Houston Methodist: 12/16 (1/12, 1/19, 1/23)
Mayo Clinic: 12/19 (1/15)
Ochsner Clinic: 12/18 (1/7, 1/14)
OHSU: 12/17 (2/24, 3/4)
SUNY Stony Brook: 12/22 (02/25, 03/03)
UMass: 12/22 (1/13, 1/20, 1/27)
University of Oklahoma: 1/7 (2/23)
University of Washington 12/29 (1/10)
Winthrop NY 12/30 (02/04, 02/11)
Rejecting:
University of Washington
Northwestern: 12/17
William Beaumont: 12/29
Mayo: 12/31
University of Illinois - Chicago 1/26
University of Minnesota 1/28
Mount Sinai NYC 1/29
Ohio State (4/3)
Mount Sinai - Miami Beach (March interview)
Michigan State (heard from a few friends on the trail)
Mount Sinai – NY (3/11)
Mount Sinai – St. Luke’s Roosevelt (Mid Feb)
University of Miami (2,27, 3/2)
University of Texas – Houston (2/27)
University of Cincinnati (3/3, 3/10)
Filled internally:
Thomas Jefferson
University of Alabama (?)
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
Henry Ford
Washington University-St. Louis
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute
UCLA (?)
Allegheny General
Interviewing:
Ohio State (4/3)
Michigan State (?)
Mount Sinai – NY (3/11)
Mount Sinai - Miami Beach (March interview)
Mount Sinai – St. Luke’s Roosevelt (Mid Feb)
University of Miami (2,27, 3/2)
University of Texas – Houston (2/27)
University of Cincinnati (3/3, 3/10)
UAB 2/20 (3/3, 3/10)
Brown (?)
Montefiore (2/24)
Kentucky (?)
Oklahoma (?)
University of Toledo (2/17,2/24)
University of Arkansas (1/23, 2/6)
Utah 2/3 (2/23,3/04)
University of Florida (?)
Westchester Medical Center (?)
St. John Hospital / Detroit 1/30 (3/27)
NY Methodist 1/29 (3/23, 3/24, 3/27, 3/30, 4/6, 4/7, 4/10)
Mount Sinai (Miami Beach) 1/29 (2/2)
Johns Hopkins 1/28 (2/18, 2/25, 3/10, 3/11)
Temple 1/28 (2/17)
Case Western (?)
Loyola (2/7)
USC 1/16 (2/3, 2/10, 2/17)
Harbor-UCLA 1/15 (2/2-2/5, 2/9-2/12)
William Beaumont 1/14 (3/6)
University of Wisconsin 1/14 (2/4, 2/18, 3/4)
Lenox Hill 1/14 (2/3, 2/5, 2/9, 2/11)
Scripps 1/14 (1/27)
Emory 1/13 (1/23)
KUMC 1/12 (2/5)
MGH 1/12 (1/24)
NYU 1/9 (1/22, 1/23, 1/29, 1/30)
BIDMC: 1/8 (1/28, 2/3, 2/4, 2/10)
Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center: 1/6 (1/21)
Houston Methodist: 12/16 (1/12, 1/19, 1/23)
Mayo Clinic: 12/19 (1/15)
Ochsner Clinic: 12/18 (1/7, 1/14)
OHSU: 12/17 (2/24, 3/4)
SUNY Stony Brook: 12/22 (02/25, 03/03)
UMass: 12/22 (1/13, 1/20, 1/27)
University of Oklahoma: 1/7 (2/23)
University of Washington 12/29 (1/10)
Winthrop NY 12/30 (02/04, 02/11)
Rejecting:
University of Washington
Northwestern: 12/17
William Beaumont: 12/29
Mayo: 12/31
University of Illinois - Chicago 1/26
University of Minnesota 1/28
Mount Sinai NYC 1/29
Winthrop has given its spots out.
Has anyone else had the experience of a program saying one thing but doing the opposite? I doubt im the only one who has experienced this. I had one program tell me they would offer a spot but they landed up not. The second program asked me not to accept a spot so they can offer one. I am still waiting to hear from them.
Lastly, if we are offerred a spot and accept it but then a month or so later you are offerred a spot from an additional program that would be better for your family can you ask to be released from other program? I know its not the best thing to do but given that there is no match this puts the applicant at the mercy of the programs. It's unfair if you ask me.
Has anyone else had the experience of a program saying one thing but doing the opposite? I doubt im the only one who has experienced this. I had one program tell me they would offer a spot but they landed up not. The second program asked me not to accept a spot so they can offer one. I am still waiting to hear from them.
Lastly, if we are offerred a spot and accept it but then a month or so later you are offerred a spot from an additional program that would be better for your family can you ask to be released from other program? I know its not the best thing to do but given that there is no match this puts the applicant at the mercy of the programs. It's unfair if you ask me.
Hey guys! thanks for all the information.. I have been keeping an eye on this thread for last few months. Would congratulate everyone who has been offered a spot. I have had few interviews .. no luck yet. It would be great if we can have thread were people can mention how many Interviews they had, where they have matched and what was main reason they accepted the offer.. ( program was excellent, home program, didnt have other great options.. yada yada..)
It just gives an insight of what are reasons for landing into a specific program.
1. How many interviews?
2. Where u matched?
3. Top reason you said yes!
Cheers!
It just gives an insight of what are reasons for landing into a specific program.
1. How many interviews?
2. Where u matched?
3. Top reason you said yes!
Cheers!
Winthrop has given its spots out.
Has anyone else had the experience of a program saying one thing but doing the opposite? I doubt im the only one who has experienced this. I had one program tell me they would offer a spot but they landed up not. The second program asked me not to accept a spot so they can offer one. I am still waiting to hear from them.
Lastly, if we are offerred a spot and accept it but then a month or so later you are offerred a spot from an additional program that would be better for your family can you ask to be released from other program? I know its not the best thing to do but given that there is no match this puts the applicant at the mercy of the programs. It's unfair if you ask me.
I don't think anyone should let go an offered spot for a possible spot however sure you are they will offer... There are no certainties ( bird in hand....)....what if, at the last minute, ur sure thing does not workout!
U
uselessmember
Add:
Kettering Medical Center/Ohio (3/10)
Albert Einstein Medical Center/PA (3/19)
I would like to know more about Mt. Sinai NYC also-- anyone interviewed there?
Any feedback from prior visits, word of mouth, etc.?
Kettering Medical Center/Ohio (3/10)
Albert Einstein Medical Center/PA (3/19)
I would like to know more about Mt. Sinai NYC also-- anyone interviewed there?
Any feedback from prior visits, word of mouth, etc.?
U
uselessmember
University of Toledo has filled their one position.
Interview season is officially done for me...cancelled my remaining 5 interviews and will decline any other if they come.....Received 5 offers and decided!! Woo-hoo for women interventionalists! Also, met Dr. Mehran at CRT and will be corresponding with her in order to try to do research! Good luck to all of you!!
Interview season is officially done for me...cancelled my remaining 5 interviews and will decline any other if they come.....Received 5 offers and decided!! Woo-hoo for women interventionalists! Also, met Dr. Mehran at CRT and will be corresponding with her in order to try to do research! Good luck to all of you!!
👍
U
uselessmember
Interview season is officially done for me...cancelled my remaining 5 interviews and will decline any other if they come.....Received 5 offers and decided!! Woo-hoo for women interventionalists! Also, met Dr. Mehran at CRT and will be corresponding with her in order to try to do research! Good luck to all of you!!
Congrats! Do you have any reviews of the places you visited and what made you choose where you want to go?
Congrats! Do you have any reviews of the places you visited and what made you choose where you want to go?
UConn hartford - fellows were so unhappy that they had to fake happiness, zero autonomy, really nice program director who does let you do the cases but the other attendings from what I heard don't even let you engage the guide catheter, also fellows do all the prepping of the tables (which is great to know but not for every single case), they cath Monday through Sunday even elective cases, has coronary/peripheral/structural
Mount Sinai St. lukes - awesome faculty and very supportive program director, good amount of autonomy, numbers reached and they get Stemi's but overall not much complex, high risk cases...fellow is pretty happy overall And program director lets you rotate through BI in Union square and mount Sinai proper for more experience, no peripheral or structural
Banner Good Samaritan - great program with awesome numbers of cases and great faculty and cath lab staff, mostly complex chronic/stable CAD but not many STEMIs, has a structural year optional, low cost of living in the area, just took over UofAriz due to financial troubles so is now a university program (name has officially changed to banner university of Arizona - phoenix
Stanford - very strong name, has coronary and structural, can rotate with vascular surgery to get peripherk experience, is not a two year prog (on website states first year interventional and second year research but this is optional), has stemi population, just make your numbers but consists of complex coronary, tons of research available, very high cost of living
Univ of Kentucky - great program with both coronary and structural years, research is available, program director and faculty are very supportive, great numbers also
Mayo - what can you say...its Mayo!
Beth Israel deaconess - the fellow this year had to be sent to a different place to obtain numbers (pretty nerve wracking considering you go into fellowship and shouldn't have to worry about this)
Cancelled a few including mount sinai proper and brown univ due to committing. There's a couple of places on here that I didn't write about because most places I recieved interviews at were pretty similar to those I already wrote about and really the only place that I was very concerned about was UConn.
I choose based on numbers, great feel from faculty and prog director, a good amount of autonomy coupled with a good amount of teaching, strong name, research availability as I plan to go into academics, and coronary and structural fellowship training present.....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UConn hartford - fellows were so unhappy that they had to fake happiness, zero autonomy, really nice program director who does let you do the cases but the other attendings from what I heard don't even let you engage the guide catheter, also fellows do all the prepping of the tables (which is great to know but not for every single case), they cath Monday through Sunday even elective cases, has coronary/peripheral/structural
Mount Sinai St. lukes - awesome faculty and very supportive program director, good amount of autonomy, numbers reached and they get Stemi's but overall not much complex, high risk cases...fellow is pretty happy overall And program director lets you rotate through BI in Union square and mount Sinai proper for more experience, no peripheral or structural
Banner Good Samaritan - great program with awesome numbers of cases and great faculty and cath lab staff, mostly complex chronic/stable CAD but not many STEMIs, has a structural year optional, low cost of living in the area, just took over UofAriz due to financial troubles so is now a university program (name has officially changed to banner university of Arizona - phoenix
Stanford - very strong name, has coronary and structural, can rotate with vascular surgery to get peripherk experience, is not a two year prog (on website states first year interventional and second year research but this is optional), has stemi population, just make your numbers but consists of complex coronary, tons of research available, very high cost of living
Univ of Kentucky - great program with both coronary and structural years, research is available, program director and faculty are very supportive, great numbers also
Mayo - what can you say...its Mayo!
Beth Israel deaconess - the fellow this year had to be sent to a different place to obtain numbers (pretty nerve wracking considering you go into fellowship and shouldn't have to worry about this)
Cancelled a few including mount sinai proper and brown univ due to committing. There's a couple of places on here that I didn't write about because most places I recieved interviews at were pretty similar to those I already wrote about and really the only place that I was very concerned about was UConn.
I choose based on numbers, great feel from faculty and prog director, a good amount of autonomy coupled with a good amount of teaching, strong name, research availability as I plan to go into academics, and coronary and structural fellowship training present.....
Thank you for this and congratulations. It would be great if more people review their interview places at the end of the season, as it would help people guide their decisions in this unfair process of "take it or leave it" type of deal.
UConn hartford - fellows were so unhappy that they had to fake happiness, zero autonomy, really nice program director who does let you do the cases but the other attendings from what I heard don't even let you engage the guide catheter, also fellows do all the prepping of the tables (which is great to know but not for every single case), they cath Monday through Sunday even elective cases, has coronary/peripheral/structural
Mount Sinai St. lukes - awesome faculty and very supportive program director, good amount of autonomy, numbers reached and they get Stemi's but overall not much complex, high risk cases...fellow is pretty happy overall And program director lets you rotate through BI in Union square and mount Sinai proper for more experience, no peripheral or structural
Banner Good Samaritan - great program with awesome numbers of cases and great faculty and cath lab staff, mostly complex chronic/stable CAD but not many STEMIs, has a structural year optional, low cost of living in the area, just took over UofAriz due to financial troubles so is now a university program (name has officially changed to banner university of Arizona - phoenix
Stanford - very strong name, has coronary and structural, can rotate with vascular surgery to get peripherk experience, is not a two year prog (on website states first year interventional and second year research but this is optional), has stemi population, just make your numbers but consists of complex coronary, tons of research available, very high cost of living
Univ of Kentucky - great program with both coronary and structural years, research is available, program director and faculty are very supportive, great numbers also
Mayo - what can you say...its Mayo!
Beth Israel deaconess - the fellow this year had to be sent to a different place to obtain numbers (pretty nerve wracking considering you go into fellowship and shouldn't have to worry about this)
Cancelled a few including mount sinai proper and brown univ due to committing. There's a couple of places on here that I didn't write about because most places I recieved interviews at were pretty similar to those I already wrote about and really the only place that I was very concerned about was UConn.
I choose based on numbers, great feel from faculty and prog director, a good amount of autonomy coupled with a good amount of teaching, strong name, research availability as I plan to go into academics, and coronary and structural fellowship training present.....
Congratulations on signing! May I ask where you ended up choosing?
What are people's thoughts on
1. University of Miami
2. Beaumont
3. University of Wisconsin
?? Thanks
1. University of Miami
2. Beaumont
3. University of Wisconsin
?? Thanks
What are people's thoughts on
1. University of Miami
2. Beaumont
3. University of Wisconsin
?? Thanks
Beaumont is a very high volume program. Based on a friend's experience it's great clinical training with optional structural year. Good peripheral exposure. Long hours.
It was one of my top 3 choices but unfortunately never made it to the interview as I accepted an offer with my top choice. This interview process is frustrating.
Beaumont is a very high volume program. Based on a friend's experience it's great clinical training with optional structural year. Good peripheral exposure. Long hours.
It was one of my top 3 choices but unfortunately never made it to the interview as I accepted an offer with my top choice. This interview process is frustrating.
Congratulations on securing your first choice, may I ask which program?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 10K
- Question
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 443
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K