Interventional Cardiology July 2018 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllIfearIsGod

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its time we start this thread..
If you know any program that is already full with internal candidates, please let everyone know so that we can save some $$$
we can share the strength, weakness, number, autonomy, reputation of the programs.

Good luck fellas.

Members don't see this ad.

Its time we start this thread..
If you know any program that is already full with internal candidates, please let everyone know so that we can save some $$$
we can share the strength, weakness, number, autonomy, reputation of the programs.

Good luck fellas.
Bump. Program submissions begin Thursday, would like any info people may have. Good luck all.

I found out these programs filled internally already:
UF Gainesville
Northwestern
Indiana
U of Maryland
Duke

Anybody else before we pay/submit tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Guys. I have quick question. I may have a delay in my application because I am waiting for a recommendation letter. Is it better to submit tomorrow? what if I submit 12/15 does this decrease my chances?

List from last year, these programs were filled internally last year
UCLA
UPenn
U of Colorado
U of Iowa
Mayo Rochester
Yale
U of Chicago possibly filled
U of Illinois possibly filled
Brigham
Washington University St Louis
Wake Forest
Geisinger PA
UT Southwestern
Baylor
Texas Heart
U of Virginia
Indiana University
Texas Tech Lubbock
Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt
U Vermont
U Rochester MC
MUSC
St. Louis University
University of Maryland
Northwestern
OSU

I have heard that U of Iowa is also filled this year. My senior fellows gave me the impression that all of out of ERAS programs fills internally??

I have a question, when they say PD, does it have to be the actual PD or Division Chief/ Associate PD can be considered as PD letter?

Hello Guys. I have quick question. I may have a delay in my application because I am waiting for a recommendation letter. Is it better to submit tomorrow? what if I submit 12/15 does this decrease my chances?

I'm in the same boat :(

I have heard that U of Iowa is also filled this year. My senior fellows gave me the impression that all of out of ERAS programs fills internally??

I have a question, when they say PD, does it have to be the actual PD or Division Chief/ Associate PD can be considered as PD letter?

I thought it meant actual program director of your fellowship, but not sure if programs actually care if you submit a letter from the chief of your division instead

I'm still waiting on my last letter too, but I think I'm going to submit anyway and just assign the letter once it's uploaded

Henry Ford is taking outside candidates and they are not participating.

Internally filled so far

UF Gainesville
Northwestern
Indiana
U of Maryland
Duke
U of Iowa
U of Michigan
Wake forest
U colorado
U of wisconsin

Last edited:
Anybody heard about how many programs people usually apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
The stats from ERAS when I checked said the average applicant over the past few years applied to approximately 35-40 programs. Any idea on how big the applicant pool is vs number of spots?

The following programs are also taking internal candidates for 2018:

1. Dartmouth
2. University of Minnesota

Internally filled so far

UF Gainesville
Northwestern
Indiana
U of Maryland
Duke
U of Iowa
U of Michigan
Wake forest
U colorado
U of wisconsin
Dartmouth
University of Minnesota

For the ERAS participating programs, some may require more than just the ERAS application. Looking at the program's website (if they have one) will be helpful to see what else they are looking for.

Very good point "mednoncompliance"! I did email most of the program coordinators that I applied and some of them did request additional material by email.

Always help checking the website of the programs we apply.

Like what?

Some may request hard copies/pdfs of publications and others may say on their website (e.g. Albany) a minimum step 1 score, which I think is ridiculous.

Hopefully we all end up where we are supposed to end up. I can't wait for the process to be over.

Reactions: 1 user
In your opinion...
- Top five academic programs?
- Malignant programs?
- Programs where you have to double scrub?

Like what?
Some may request hard copies/pdfs of publications and others may say on their website (e.g. Albany) a minimum step 1 score, which I think is ridiculous.

Hopefully we all end up where we are supposed to end up. I can't wait for the process to be over.
I did not realize that! this is turning to be cumbersome.. I am not excited about going through this again! Thanks for the info and all the best to everyone

Tough process. I haven't heard of anyone getting interviews yet.

PCIdude, did you apply last year? I heard the process is hard and unfair. Any advice from you?

Last edited:
Internally filled so far:
  1. UF Gainesville
  2. Northwestern
  3. Indiana
  4. U of Maryland
  5. Duke
  6. U of Iowa
  7. U of Michigan
  8. Wake Forest
  9. U Colorado
  10. U of Wisconsin
  11. Dartmouth
  12. University of Minnesota
  13. Yale
  14. UNC
  15. UCLA
  16. Tuffs
  17. Hopkins
  18. U Penn
  19. Southwestern
  20. Baylor TX

Two questions:
1- Any one has received a message asking for procedure logs?
2-How long it takes for letter of recommendation to show up on dash board. I am still waiting for one who was uploaded yesterday. No changes on status.

How can you tell if program downloaded your application??

I received a message from Mt. Sinai asking for procedure logs today. No interviews yet. Anyone else heard anything?

Actually UAMS is a quite good program. Not rarely, they usually choose locally.

1. UF Gainesville
  2. Northwestern
  3. Indiana
  4. U of Maryland
  5. Duke
  6. U of Iowa
  7. U of Michigan
  8. Wake Forest
  9. U Colorado
  10. U of Wisconsin
  11. Dartmouth
  13. Yale
  14. UNC
  15. UCLA
  16. Tuffs
  17. Hopkins
  18. U Penn
  19. Southwestern
  20. Baylor TX
  21. Thomas Jefferson
Filled internally.

Looking for someone to swap an interventional cardiology spot. Program located in PA. Starting July 2016.

Any interviews so far? Is it that slow process?
As far as I know Aurora St luke in WI and Montefiore in NY both going to be filled internally this year.

Filled internally
  1. UF Gainesville
  2. Northwestern
  3. Indiana
  4. U of Maryland
  5. Duke
  6. U of Iowa
  7. U of Michigan
  8. Wake Forest
  9. U Colorado
  10. U of Wisconsin
  11. Dartmouth
  13. Yale
  14. UNC
  15. UCLA
  16. Tuffs
  17. Hopkins
  18. U Penn
  19. Southwestern
  20. Baylor TX
  21. Thomas Jefferson
  22. Aurora St Luke (WI)
  23. Montefiore (Bronx)
Rejections

1. University of Washington (12/17)

Invitations

1. UAMS (12/8, CCU): 1/6 , 1/13

Last edited:
while we wait for interviews.. what are you guys looking for in a program?
From pure non-research standpoint
- would you prefer a mid-high tier university with moderate numbers 250-300 PCI for interventional fellow or mid-low tier university program with ~500 PCI for interventional fellow

and what are some of the high volume programs, I have heard about Baystate, U Mass, UT southwestern, Washington hospital.. anyone with any thoughts?

Please post information regarding rejections and invitations.

It is so frustrating to have to wait for any kind of communication from the programs

while we wait for interviews.. what are you guys looking for in a program?
From pure non-research standpoint
- would you prefer a mid-high tier university with moderate numbers 250-300 PCI for interventional fellow or mid-low tier university program with ~500 PCI for interventional fellow

and what are some of the high volume programs, I have heard about Baystate, U Mass, UT southwestern, Washington hospital.. anyone with any thoughts?

I think it depends on where you want to practice, and what kind of job you are looking for (private/academic). if you want to do private, of course go to the higher volume clinical oriented programs.

Some of the programs with high volume other than the ones you mentioned, I heard the following Brown 400+, Mount Sinai 500+, William Beaumont 500+, UAMS 500+ and I am sure there are many others.

One thing to watch out for is avoiding programs that have advanced structural fellows. As an IC fellow you want exposure to structural and a place with a structural fellow will likely block you from that opportunity.

I disagree about avoiding programs with structural fellowships. If your are really interested in structural then you can do a second year in the same institution. Why would you want to become informally exposed to TAVRs and mitral clips? I would not dare to do structural procedures without proper/formal training.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Filled internally

1. UF Gainesville
2. Northwestern
3. Indiana
4. U of Maryland
5. Duke
6. U of Iowa
7. U of Michigan
8. Wake Forest
9. U Colorado
10. U of Wisconsin
11. Dartmouth
13. Yale
14. UNC
15. UCLA
16. Tuffs
17. Hopkins
18. U Penn
19. Southwestern
20. Baylor TX
21. Thomas Jefferson
22. Aurora St Luke (WI)
23. Montefiore (Bronx)

Rejections

1. University of Washington (12/17)

Invitations

1. UAMS (12/8, CCU): 1/6 , 1/13
2. University of Kansas: 1/11
3. Mayo Clinic: unknown date
4. University of Washington: unknown date

If you have information about invitations, rejections, etc, you can send me a private message and I will update the list.

Last edited: