Interventional Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cooldreams

American Mensa Member :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know about cardiology programs in kansas city?? I have the chance to do a double program for medical school in kansas city, but that would mean i need to do all of my rotations in kansas city... sooo... how is the residency outlook in kansas city for trying to get into cardiology...

honestly i am unsure of the path too. would i need to go into general surgery, then into interventional cardiology, or is there a different route??

thanks a lot for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you mean doing a "double program in medical school"?

What is a 'double program for medical school'? I think the standard road to interventional cardiology is 3 years of Internal medicine residency, 3 or 4 years cardiology fellowship, followed by 1 or 2 years interventional fellowship.

Perhaps there are other paths (radiology maybe...I don't know). But definitely not surgery.

Perhaps you are meaning cardiac surgery, not interventional cardiology. Then, yes, it is general surgery followed by thoracic fellowship, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the poster was referring to UMKC's 6 year BA/MD program.

To the poster: be careful of all 6 year programs, UMKC's in particular. They have a high washout rate (think a couple of expensive years of school, no degree, and not many credits that will prove useful in the real world), low first-pass rate on Step 1, and mediocre residency placement.

actually i am refering to UHS-COM's program for a DO and combined with Rockhurst's MBA... all of this is done in a four year time span. but to get it done, you gotta stay in kansas city. im just weighing everything out... any advice??

yes yes, i know specialty residencies are tough for DO's to get into, but i really dont care, i know i could pull it off if i worked at it... i mean i honestly think i have that ability... and i may even decide to go into FP or EM... who knows... like i said im just trying to see what is availble to me down the road if i chose a certain path.

any advice?

interventional cards requires 3 years IMed, 3 years Cards, then 1-2 years ICards. Not all need to be done in the same place. Don't know if KC has a good cardiology fellowship available or not. I'd focus on getting a really strong IMed residency and worry about the Cards part once you're in residency.