How much endovascular training do Integrated CT Surgery residents actually get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahpow23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of the I6 programs seem to be marketing themselves as aiming to train cardiothoracic surgeons who are competent in both surgical and catheter-based skills. I'm wondering how much the residents actually get to do on their rotations with interventional cards, IR, and vascular surgery - are graduates of these programs comfortable performing stenting, percutaneous valve repair, etc. upon completion of their program? Or is it more just for exposure to these different interventions so that the cardiac surgeons can more effectively work with/refer to these other specialties? Any integrated CT residents out there that can comment on this?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the I6 programs seem to be marketing themselves as aiming to train cardiothoracic surgeons who are competent in both surgical and catheter-based skills. I'm wondering how much the residents actually get to do on their rotations with interventional cards, IR, and vascular surgery - are graduates of these programs comfortable performing stenting, percutaneous valve repair, etc. upon completion of their program? Or is it more just for exposure to these different interventions so that the cardiac surgeons can more effectively work with/refer to these other specialties? Any integrated CT residents out there that can comment on this?

It depends in part on the other trainees involved (cardiology fellow, vascular resident, etc.). If you are on an interventional cardiology rotation with a cardiology fellow who plans on pursuing interventional cardiology, then you may get edged out of a lot of cases. However, it also depends on your interest and effort.

Most people I've worked with (interventional cards, IR, vascular, etc.) enjoy working with people who are interested in learning and can speak the language. For better or worse, you will be years behind any of the other trainees they deal with, so you are going to be playing catch up when you start on those rotations. You just have to put in the extra effort to understand the wires, catheters, sheaths, etc.

Reactions: 1 user