Interventional neuroradiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your chances are realistic. I cannot comment on the Visa part. Isnt there a limit on the time you are allowed in the US on a J1 and if you want to stay longer there is a waiver?
If you like neurology then I say go for it. it is no more difficult to get into than cardiology or GI and I know many IMGs who got in those fields with perseverance. Good luck

With decent scores, getting into a neurology residency as an IMG is not impossible.

There are IMG neurologists who have trained in neurointerventional. They exist. Neurology is not the easiest starting point to get into an endovascular fellowship, even under the best of circumstances. Many go through stroke or NCC fellowships first, before even starting endovascular, and the spots are competitive.

Going into neurology because you like endovascular procedures is a bit backwards. If your primary love is playing with catheters, then go into vascular surgery or radiology. Go into neurology because you want to be a neurologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
One can thoroughly enjoy being a neurologist WHILE enjoying playing with catheters :).

And yes, many famous interventional neurologists are IMGs (and many others are AMGs)

With decent scores, getting into a neurology residency as an IMG is not impossible.

There are IMG neurologists who have trained in neurointerventional. They exist. Neurology is not the easiest starting point to get into an endovascular fellowship, even under the best of circumstances. Many go through stroke or NCC fellowships first, before even starting endovascular, and the spots are competitive.

Going into neurology because you like endovascular procedures is a bit backwards. If your primary love is playing with catheters, then go into vascular surgery or radiology. Go into neurology because you want to be a neurologist.

As an IMG it'll be very difficult to match to radiology (although not impossible). However, plenty of IMGs match to neurology every year, so if what you want to do is neuro IR your best best is going through the neurology route.

So what is considered a decent score from an IMG ? (I know it varies and is program dependent, but asking just to get a sense, you can say average scores expected. Will be great if you may give a real world idea (please don't refer to NRMP stats).

Go into neurology because you want to be a neurologist.

Well said, loved it.