Interventional radiology - question about hours

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by IJL, Sep 25, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. IJL

IJL 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2012
    Currently going through intern year I realize how much I really enjoy procedures - and I think I'm good at them, not to toot my own horn. It's basically the only thing I do enjoy about medicine. Obviously I feel like this makes IR appealing (I know, I know, everyone says that it seems like).

I don't have that much experience with the day to day of IR and zero experience with private practice interventional radiology. Can someone who knows more than I elaborate what PP IR guys do on a daily basis? What are the hours like? Call schedule?

I know I'll get more experience with it over the next 4 years, but I'm just curious now. I really thought long and hard about going in to surgery, but the hours and lifestyle were a dealbreaker. Would at be looking at surgery lifestyle with IR? Would I be satisfied or have the opportunity to do any procedures as a diagnostic radiologist if I don't do an IR fellowship?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doctor D

Doctor D 7+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2008
    There are opportunities in just about every specialty for procedures. For example, mammography does breast biopsies, body does drains/biopsies, neuro does LPs/Myelograms, and MSK does joint injections/biopsies. IR definitely has more procedures and spends anywhere from 20% to 100% of their time doing procedures versus reading imaging. The call can be hard as there are some emergencies in IR such as a pelvic bleed in a trauma case or angiography/embolization in a GI bleeder. I think the call and lifestyle varies greatly based on the group and practice setting as far as I can tell. Anyone care to add to the discussion?

pathologyDO and DaTruMD like this.
  4. blebb

blebb 5+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm an R1 also interested in this...

How different are the hours between a DR and IR trained guy at your average private practice shop?

5. blebb

blebb 5+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ugh this forum is deeead

6. IJL

IJL 2+ Year Member

May 15, 2012
    So dead. Probably the deadest out of all the resident forums on here.