Interventional radiology - question about hours

Started by IJL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IJL

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently going through intern year I realize how much I really enjoy procedures - and I think I'm good at them, not to toot my own horn. It's basically the only thing I do enjoy about medicine. Obviously I feel like this makes IR appealing (I know, I know, everyone says that it seems like).

I don't have that much experience with the day to day of IR and zero experience with private practice interventional radiology. Can someone who knows more than I elaborate what PP IR guys do on a daily basis? What are the hours like? Call schedule?

I know I'll get more experience with it over the next 4 years, but I'm just curious now. I really thought long and hard about going in to surgery, but the hours and lifestyle were a dealbreaker. Would at be looking at surgery lifestyle with IR? Would I be satisfied or have the opportunity to do any procedures as a diagnostic radiologist if I don't do an IR fellowship?

Thanks!
 
There are opportunities in just about every specialty for procedures. For example, mammography does breast biopsies, body does drains/biopsies, neuro does LPs/Myelograms, and MSK does joint injections/biopsies. IR definitely has more procedures and spends anywhere from 20% to 100% of their time doing procedures versus reading imaging. The call can be hard as there are some emergencies in IR such as a pelvic bleed in a trauma case or angiography/embolization in a GI bleeder. I think the call and lifestyle varies greatly based on the group and practice setting as far as I can tell. Anyone care to add to the discussion?
 
I'm an R1 also interested in this...

How different are the hours between a DR and IR trained guy at your average private practice shop?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad