Interventional radiology - question about hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IJL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently going through intern year I realize how much I really enjoy procedures - and I think I'm good at them, not to toot my own horn. It's basically the only thing I do enjoy about medicine. Obviously I feel like this makes IR appealing (I know, I know, everyone says that it seems like).

I don't have that much experience with the day to day of IR and zero experience with private practice interventional radiology. Can someone who knows more than I elaborate what PP IR guys do on a daily basis? What are the hours like? Call schedule?

I know I'll get more experience with it over the next 4 years, but I'm just curious now. I really thought long and hard about going in to surgery, but the hours and lifestyle were a dealbreaker. Would at be looking at surgery lifestyle with IR? Would I be satisfied or have the opportunity to do any procedures as a diagnostic radiologist if I don't do an IR fellowship?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are opportunities in just about every specialty for procedures. For example, mammography does breast biopsies, body does drains/biopsies, neuro does LPs/Myelograms, and MSK does joint injections/biopsies. IR definitely has more procedures and spends anywhere from 20% to 100% of their time doing procedures versus reading imaging. The call can be hard as there are some emergencies in IR such as a pelvic bleed in a trauma case or angiography/embolization in a GI bleeder. I think the call and lifestyle varies greatly based on the group and practice setting as far as I can tell. Anyone care to add to the discussion?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an R1 also interested in this...

How different are the hours between a DR and IR trained guy at your average private practice shop?

Members don't see this ad :)
So dead. Probably the deadest out of all the resident forums on here.