Interventional radiology - question about hours

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by IJL, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. IJL

IJL 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Currently going through intern year I realize how much I really enjoy procedures - and I think I'm good at them, not to toot my own horn. It's basically the only thing I do enjoy about medicine. Obviously I feel like this makes IR appealing (I know, I know, everyone says that it seems like).

I don't have that much experience with the day to day of IR and zero experience with private practice interventional radiology. Can someone who knows more than I elaborate what PP IR guys do on a daily basis? What are the hours like? Call schedule?

I know I'll get more experience with it over the next 4 years, but I'm just curious now. I really thought long and hard about going in to surgery, but the hours and lifestyle were a dealbreaker. Would at be looking at surgery lifestyle with IR? Would I be satisfied or have the opportunity to do any procedures as a diagnostic radiologist if I don't do an IR fellowship?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doctor D

Doctor D 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are opportunities in just about every specialty for procedures. For example, mammography does breast biopsies, body does drains/biopsies, neuro does LPs/Myelograms, and MSK does joint injections/biopsies. IR definitely has more procedures and spends anywhere from 20% to 100% of their time doing procedures versus reading imaging. The call can be hard as there are some emergencies in IR such as a pelvic bleed in a trauma case or angiography/embolization in a GI bleeder. I think the call and lifestyle varies greatly based on the group and practice setting as far as I can tell. Anyone care to add to the discussion?

pathologyDO and DaTruMD like this.
  4. blebb

blebb 5+ Year Member

I'm an R1 also interested in this...

How different are the hours between a DR and IR trained guy at your average private practice shop?

5. blebb

blebb 5+ Year Member

Ugh this forum is deeead

6. IJL

IJL 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So dead. Probably the deadest out of all the resident forums on here.

About the ads