• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

webEmDee

Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi all,

I was wondering how a student could pursue IR research outside his own institution. I'm certain I want to pursue IR and would like to have some research work under my belt before I apply for residency. I've been scouring the interwebs for any signs of research openings but to no end. I've also emailed some research directors and have gotten nothing but SAGLs (Sorry And Good Luck).

I already have some research experience but not in Radiology. My biggest drawback is that I'm an IMG. But I have no visa issues. I'm available full-time for one year starting in Jan 2011.

Any advice? Openings?

Gute

Jul 2, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Your chief concern should be matching into a diagnostic radiology spot.

The DIRECT pathway is an option, but there aren't many of those spots, and it may not be a realistic goal to only apply to that. IR is not a big field and having a letter from a big name could help alot and if your application is otherwise excellent (considering your IMG status) you might be able to get yourself in that way. Consider visiting student IR rotations at premiere institutions if at all possible. I have been told by a reputable IR attending that impeccable surgery evaluations are critical for DIRECT pathway spots, regardless of your IR background.

Your best bet as I first mentioned is to get some sort of DR residency spot and do an IR fellowship. Your goal now would be to do whatever it takes to make yourself a competitive DR candidate.

As a last resort, especially if DR just is not appealing to you, consider the gen surg to vascular surgery route. Alternatively, cardiology to interventional cardiology or neurology to interventional neurology. None of these options is truly "IR" but are definitely routes to playing with catheters, but do involve years of extra BS to get to the IR-like point. Each is also much easier for an IMG to enter, but do realize that your chances of landing a DR spot after trying IM or surgery is much lower than your first go around.

webEmDee

Mar 7, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the advice! Especially the bit about a glowing letter from a Surgical rota!

Just to be clear, I completely understand the whole DR vs DIRECT situation and that's EXACTLY why I want to get into research. There's really no other way I can land a letter from a notable IR except research, I'm done with all my rotations.

You're hanging around the Rads boards so I'll assume you're applying soon? :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.