interventional radiology without residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keithn12345

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of physicians doing an interventional fellowship without rads residency? I know if they do this - you cannot get certified but can you practice clinically. With the new clinical model of IR - there are groups that don't do diagnostics would they be willing to hire someone with just a fellowship? Would there be a problem with getting hospital credentials or with billing insurances?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of physicians doing an interventional fellowship without rads residency?

Yes. A couple of years back, many IR fellowships had difficulty filling. Not even foreign radiologists where willing to fill those fellowship slots. As a result, they resorted to taking disgruntled surgery residents who used this as a 'bridge' to fill a year until they could either find a rads residency or see the error of their ways and return into the fold.

I know if they do this - you cannot get certified but can you practice clinically.

There is certainly no way to go out and practice independently doing IR after doing lets say 2 years of IM or surgery and an IR fellowship. Can't get board certified, can't get CAQed, can't get credentialed at any self-respecting hospital. There are probably some physicians who where able to incorporate their IR knowledge into a surgery or nephrology practice.

- there are groups that don't do diagnostics would they be willing to hire someone with just a fellowship?

No.

if you do an IR fellowship as a surgeon? dude, the embolization you need done from a trauma you could do urself. most of the IR stuff that surgeons refer out to - which is quite a lot - could be done by the surgeon.

i'd see that as an advantage. now whether insurance will pay you since ur not BE/BC, that I don't know.

if you do an IR fellowship as a surgeon? dude, the embolization you need done from a trauma you could do urself. most of the IR stuff that surgeons refer out to - which is quite a lot - could be done by the surgeon.

i'd see that as an advantage. now whether insurance will pay you since ur not BE/BC, that I don't know.

Even if you COULD do the procedure, if the insurance company won't pay you, that means you are taking on liability on a high risk patient (most surgical candidate flunkies are bad news) for free.

Surgeons are hard working and resourceful, but most are not stupid.