interventional rads and neurorads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTCA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can neurosurgeons take over INR?(I read in neurology board even neurologists aspiring to do so)
vascular surgeons or interventional cardiologists taking over vascular IR techniques?(like peripherals or aneurysms)
Can any of these changes occur ?should they occur?(for example a vascular surgeon told me he was more qualified to deal with certain procedures complications anyway, so why not perform them with the proper training himself)

Members don't see this ad.

cardiologists can't stent coronaries without cardiothoracic surgery backup, however they still are master of that domain. i think the same applies to the vascular surgeon you mention.

very few neurosurgeons or neuroradiologists make up more than 10% of their practice with aneurysms... in the long run, it will likely be something where multiple people may be able to do it but it won't end up as a major turf war because either there is too little business in the first place for it to matter, or there is more than enough business that the others will just take care of overflow without interfering with the caseload of those who were there first.

i think it is impossible to figure out market trends like this, although it's always tempting to speculate.

just my $0.02

afc