RangerD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am really interested in pursuing Interventional Radiology. I think the variety of procedures that can be done is very exciting. I see it as a perfect fit for me. Initially, I see myself doing mostly or solely Interventional. Then, as I get older and want to slow down, doing more Diagnostic Rads.

Here are my questions:

1. I know that a Radiologist does not have to go thorough an Interventional fellowship to do Interventional procedures. Therefore, what is the need to go through an Interventional fellowship? What additional things can a fellowship trained / board certified Interventional Radiologist do, that a Diag Radiologist (who has been exposed to the VIR procedures during the traditional residency) cannot do? What are the benefits of being fellowship trained & board certified in VIR?

2. If pursuing a VIR fellowship, what are the pros/cons of a traditional path of Diagnostic Radiology residency + 1 yr VIR fellowship VS. pursuing the “Clinical Pathway” option as outlined by the Society of Interventional Radiology (http://www.sirweb.org/gradEdu/VIRpathway.shtml).

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I think you have some misperceptions about the field of radiology, but thats what this forum is for. ;)

RangerD said:
...as I get older and want to slow down, doing more Diagnostic Rads.
It is a very painful transition from going to soley interventions back to diagnostic rads. If you don't see pathology day in and day out you will forget what you have learned FAST. I have seen several pure interventionalists quit their posts after years in academia and have a really tough time adjusting to the pace and breadth of dx rads. Not impossible, but not fun and definitely not easy.

RangerD said:
1. I know that a Radiologist does not have to go thorough an Interventional fellowship to do Interventional procedures.
If you want to do more than place PICC lines or drain pus, with very few exceptions you will need to do some type of Interventional fellowship. Now-a- days with the increasing subspecialization and legal issues a lot of residencies don't give a lot of autonomy to residents when it comes to VIR procedures. Gone are the days of residents shooting a trauma arch on call or embolizing a pelvic fracture without the attending AND fellow present.

RangerD said:
2. If pursuing a VIR fellowship, what are the pros/cons of a traditional path of Diagnostic Radiology residency + 1 yr VIR fellowship VS. pursuing the “Clinical Pathway” option as outlined by the Society of Interventional Radiology
I think these clinical pathway programs are in their infancy, so remains to be seen as to which is the 'better' path. The pros and cons have been discussed in the past on this forum. Just use the 'search' function to locate the thread.

Best of luck,

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
New York, NY
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Has anyone ever heard of a general surgeon going into interventional? Someone brought this up to me so I was curious.

Soon2B...something...dont let the screenname fool you.

hans19

I'm back...
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Soon2BENT said:
Has anyone ever heard of a general surgeon going into interventional? Someone brought this up to me so I was curious.

Soon2B...something...dont let the screenname fool you.
I know of vascular surg fellows doing IR fellowships. So yes, its possible. I don't know how this will pan out as far as getting a job would go. I think you would be limited to academic settings that do 100% IR or working as a member of a vascular surgery group.