Interventional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not knowing anything about this.

Are there very many/any interventional rads residency programs, or is this specialty strictly a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, almost all prospective interventional radiologists complete a full diagnostic rads residency, followed by an IR fellowship. There are a few programs that offer a VIR fast track (e.g. Penn, UVa), similar to a 3+2 format. More information is available at sirweb.org.

Members don't see this ad :)
doepug said:
Currently, almost all prospective interventional radiologists complete a full diagnostic rads residency, followed by an IR fellowship. There are a few programs that offer a VIR fast track (e.g. Penn, UVa), similar to a 3+2 format. More information is available at sirweb.org.

Actually, these are not "fast tracks" since they take the same number years to finish, compared to the traditional rads ressidency + IR fellowship. They just do more IR and IR related clinical electives.

Some more IR questions (I think it may be the type of highly-procedure based specialty that isn't surgery that I've been looking for :) ):

1) What are the hours? I've heard conflicting stories from some residents.

2) what is the compensation?

3) How competetive are those direct programs? I would like the stability of being at the same program for 5-6 yrs.

Thanks!

i can answer the first 2.

Hours are described as similar to surgery. (so i would say surgery-ish but perhaps not AS bad).

At my home hospital compensation starts at roughly $225K out of fellowship, as per one resident in the program. Private practice may be higher.

For the most part, the "combined" programs aren't all that competitive. Additionally, IR fellowships aren't really all that competitive nowadays (at least one half are unfilled) given the high reimbursements for diagnostic services without the less optimal hours of Interventional.