Interventionalist/Electrophysiologist risk of cancers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecanadianIMG

Reaction score
Thoughts on this from those in the field? Cardiology and radiology, both interventional, have been my top picks, but the fear of cancers gets the best of me everytime.

Members don't see this ad.

Thoughts on this from those in the field? Cardiology and radiology, both interventional, have been my top picks, but the fear of cancers gets the best of me everytime.

I wouldn’t worry about cancer. Your back is another story.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. Already have a herniated disk myself.

Cancer certainly a thought far back in my mind though pretty much every interventional cards or EP I know has had some sort of ortho issue.
Is it just because of the lead or from standing so much? Hopefully fluoroless techniques will reduce some of that

Is it just because of the lead or from standing so much? Hopefully fluoroless techniques will reduce some of that

Not sure but probably combo of both along with me needing some core strengthening having not been working out regularly for past couple years. It did prompt me to get newer lightweight lead which has helped tremendously. Took a month break from wearing lead and certain procedures, got an injection and have been doing well since. Certainly more cognizant to take lead off when I can and to Sit when I can during ablations.

Seriously. Already have a herniated disk myself.

Cancer certainly a thought far back in my mind though pretty much every interventional cards or EP I know has had some sort of ortho issue.
What is the cause?

What is the cause?

gravity.

half of our faculty have had surgical intervention on their back

It is the number one occupational hazard-try to get zero Gravity, work on fluoroless year 2, get in shape , and for god sake get specialty specific disability insurance

Last edited:
Reportedly two local electrophysioogists got the same type of rare brain cancer a few years ago. Within a few months of each other even.

it’s all hearsay, but still gives me pause

Yes, there is a very slight increase in cancer risk than the general population but I believe it is less than what pilots/airline attendants face.

The much more common issue is back pain and shoulder pain from wearing lead. Lets face it, most physicians are out of shape and have bad posture. A lot of physicians transition into general cardiology or diagnostic radiology as they get older because it gets tougher as time goes on.

Reportedly two local electrophysioogists got the same type of rare brain cancer a few years ago. Within a few months of each other even.

it’s all hearsay, but still gives me pause

same with us, two of our faculty electrophysiologists got diagnosed with Glioblastoma multiforme.

But doesn't EP has one of the lower radiation exposure? A high volume IC i would imagine are at a much higher risk of radiation exposure esp those who does a lot of peripheral cases.

But doesn't EP has one of the lower radiation exposure? A high volume IC i would imagine are at a much higher risk of radiation exposure esp those who does a lot of peripheral cases.
Depends a lot on your clinical practice. It’s about the same between EP and IC on average. CRT, LV and extraction cases use a ton. Some are moving towards reduced or zero fluoro for ablation. I still think you should be more worried about your back, get zero gravity if possible and buy lightest lead possible. Remember some cases (VT substrate mod) can be 7-8 hours Standing.

Be selfish and have techs work around you. Attributable cancer risk is small but 50 percent of EP have back problems.

Last edited:
Sleep deprivation is what will take years off your life.

We (medicine) totally neglect just how harmful that is and put up with complete nonsense with zero support from our “leaders”.

Reactions: 1 users

Buy one of these and you don't have to worry about messing up your back