Interview : Acceptance Ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I was wondering what the interview:acceptance ratio has been for people applying to medical school. Do you think if you have had 8 interview invites that you will get in at least one medical school, or if 50% of the schools you sent secondaries to interview you than you will get in at least one of them... etc. etc. I have heard some people interview at 6 schools and get waitlisted at all of them and some people with 3 interviews get in somewhere in May etc. Any more cases?

Thanks

P.S. Oct 15 is just around the corner :eek: :(

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess you have an amazing chance at acceptance if you have 8 interviews now...in a normal year. This isn't normal, so people's previous experiences will probably not play out. Consider what the schools are going through right now... They have a lot of time on their hands and not a lot of complete applications. They can't apply their normal expectatations of the most competitive applications coming in the earliest. Thus, they might as well interview those applicants whose applications they have. That doesn't mean they're going to accept the person, though, when the more competitive applications do end up coming in.

I think the answer to that question depends on the school. While some schools interview 50% of the applicant pool, some only interview around 12%. I don't know, that is a tough question to answer with a general response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Check this site out: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/apps/med_srch.htm

If you enter the name of a med school, then go to the admissions section for that school, you can see data about how many applied/interviewed/were accepted. It shows that data for instate and out of state, so that's really helpful too. :)

I think, realistically, that if you have 8 interviews and end up with no acceptances than something is wrong with your interviewing abilities. Spend the next year practicing based on what you've learned through the experience. Certainly don't do anything drastic to change your application; it's obviously great. If a person is good enough on paper to get 8 interviews then chances no longer come into play, in my opinion. If you're a great interviewer then at least 4 of the schools should be acceptances.
I respectfully disagree with none, however. I don't think schools are waiting for the "more competitive applications". Wouldn't you think that the "more competitive applicatants" have already sent their applications (aside from those taking the August MCAT)?

I respectfully disagree with none, however. I don't think schools are waiting for the "more competitive applications". Wouldn't you think that the "more competitive applicatants" have already sent their applications (aside from those taking the August MCAT)?•

Yes, they sent it...but did the schools get it? Apparently some people have had some problems with AMCAS this year. ;)

LOL, I think Darwin sees the glass half full and none sees it half empty. Thanks for your responses and opinions though :) I just got an "acceptance range" letter from Tulane after what I thought was one of the best interviews I had and I really loved the school and New Orleans, so I am kind of nervous now. I think all bets are off this year, but it could be worse (i.e. 41,000 applying). I just want to get in somewhere, so I can only worry about possible Anthrax attacks instead of this as well. Good luck to everyone!

Point well taken...didn't realize what you were getting at until after I had posted. 8 interviews with no acceptances though?
If, in fact, schools are only interviewing those who are processed that it totally unfair and you will be absolutely right. I don't think this is the case though. Take USC for example...although they have my verified app. they are waiting until most of the apps. they have are verified...they're not jumping on my app. just because it's verified. Most of the schools are interviewing all those who's apps. they have received, verified or unverified, and AMCAS sent out paper copies of unverified apps. quite a while ago so every school should have a copy of your AMCAS, verified or not. If a school has started interviewing I don't think they care about the verification at this point. I might be wrong, but what do we know right?
Of course I'm assuming that AMCAS really sent paper copies...probably a stretch...